"Other" Breeds

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby Jarbo03 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:26 am

Dutch is lookin good AT. Taz also likes to sleep showing off the goods. My dad let him inside with his bumper, I got home and he was crashed out still holding it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1381580767262.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1381580613842.jpg
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS


Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby GarDuck » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:28 am

A well bred Vizla is something worth considering. In tx te seveeral ivee doove hunted with in TX have been more than adequate handsome and a pleasure to watch. They also are much more capable of dealing with thhe heat than labs and most other retrievers.. The few ive had the pleasure of training have been a hoot and absolutelly obsessed with their owners.
GarDuck
hunter
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:27 pm
Location: Houston

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby HUNT24/7 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:15 pm

After a good rip in the grouse woods!
Image
User avatar
HUNT24/7
hunter
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: N.B Canada

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 pm

HUNT24/7 wrote:After a good rip in the grouse woods!
Image


Wes, how's that dude doing?
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4170
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby HUNT24/7 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:59 pm

OmegaRed wrote:
HUNT24/7 wrote:After a good rip in the grouse woods!
Image


Wes, how's that dude doing?


Doing great! He's quite a character & coming along good on his training.
User avatar
HUNT24/7
hunter
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: N.B Canada

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby DerekV700 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:37 am

Small duck dog and upland, how about a duck toller? About 20" to the shoulder and about 45, I. Have a14 month old toller going into her first duck season. Great little dogs, we were looking for a smaller breed that I could hunt with and would travel easy when weare in our travel trailer. Google Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.
DerekV700
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:21 am

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby Kudu » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:19 pm

I just love this pic ....sorry......

Image




Here we go....

Image


Image


Image
Kudu
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:57 am

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby uppower » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:15 pm

I see this post may be old but I figured I would chime in on the Boykin. I read some questions on their train-ability for new owners. I own a 14 month old Boykin and he is my first dog. I am sure I have messed up tons along the training route...I have screamed at him and put too much pressure on him lots. However, that dog loves me and would run through walls to do what I want of him. He will retrieve sticks for hours. He loves to flush and retrieve upland. Hunted ducks with me this year in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (As bad as weather gets) He is a work in progress as a duck dog. Doesn't do the best job of marking ducks yet, my fault, but once he is on them he goes and get whatever is there. He has even retrieved large Canadians without any problem. He will go into any water I ask him to at any temperature. However, with my specific Boykin this scares me since he gets real cold and shakes uncontrollably. This led me to leave him at camp for our hunts when the weather hit freezing. Thinking about a Wire haired griffon to team him with?
uppower
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:34 pm

uppower wrote:I see this post may be old but I figured I would chime in on the Boykin. I read some questions on their train-ability for new owners. I own a 14 month old Boykin and he is my first dog. I am sure I have messed up tons along the training route...I have screamed at him and put too much pressure on him lots. However, that dog loves me and would run through walls to do what I want of him. He will retrieve sticks for hours. He loves to flush and retrieve upland. Hunted ducks with me this year in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (As bad as weather gets) He is a work in progress as a duck dog. Doesn't do the best job of marking ducks yet, my fault, but once he is on them he goes and get whatever is there. He has even retrieved large Canadians without any problem. He will go into any water I ask him to at any temperature. However, with my specific Boykin this scares me since he gets real cold and shakes uncontrollably. This led me to leave him at camp for our hunts when the weather hit freezing. Thinking about a Wire haired griffon to team him with?


You have a vest for him? If you're looking for something specifically for cold, I'd look at a Chessie
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4170
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby Griffdom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:12 pm

uppower wrote:I see this post may be old but I figured I would chime in on the Boykin. I read some questions on their train-ability for new owners. I own a 14 month old Boykin and he is my first dog. I am sure I have messed up tons along the training route...I have screamed at him and put too much pressure on him lots. However, that dog loves me and would run through walls to do what I want of him. He will retrieve sticks for hours. He loves to flush and retrieve upland. Hunted ducks with me this year in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (As bad as weather gets) He is a work in progress as a duck dog. Doesn't do the best job of marking ducks yet, my fault, but once he is on them he goes and get whatever is there. He has even retrieved large Canadians without any problem. He will go into any water I ask him to at any temperature. However, with my specific Boykin this scares me since he gets real cold and shakes uncontrollably. This led me to leave him at camp for our hunts when the weather hit freezing. Thinking about a Wire haired griffon to team him with?


I have questioned a lot of griff owners and most tell me that the griff isn't a chessie or lab when it comes to the cold, but a few have hunted theirs in 0 degree F air temps as long as they try to keep them dry between retrieves. They often have a towel to dry them off and a blanket, etc. for them to sit on if it is that cold. A few had a portable heater too. They said if they were careful they could handle pretty cold conditions. Jarbo on this forum just got back from Montana and his griff handled ducks in 13 degree temps. Your conditions may be better suited for a chessie or lab, I don't know. But, I do know that most griffs can handle the average conditions for most places in the U.S.
Griffdom
hunter
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 am

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby mojo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:28 pm

A Griff should handle cold as well or better than a DD, and I hunt my DD through December on the freezing North Atlantic coast just fine.

The wire coat is not waterproof like a chessie, but it does dry very fast, which is the key for warmth.

Use common sense, read the dog, and you should be fine with a Griff. Blankets, vest, etc. are good ideas, and I do use them.
mojo
hunter
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby uppower » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Hey guys,
I have a vest just didn't use it with him this year. He didn't like it and was already on stimulus overload. I plan on using one just decided I'd leave him home for the last few weekends. He does have a propane heater under his dog blind to help. Was just out training water is in 40-30's. Dang these little buggers have drive....100 miles an hour after the bumper time and time again shaking or not. That's what worries me...he wouldn't stop!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uppower
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby uppower » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:46 pm

So griffons don't handle cold water well? I was under the influence they were on par with labs...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uppower
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:43 pm

IMO, a Griff with a proper coat should handle the cold as well as a similar sized lab. I have hunted mine on the river numerous times in the single digits, he has made many retrieves while breaking ice. A big part of handling the cold is also mental, 2 litter mates with similar coats might handle cold differently. Don't rush a dog into cold situations, build their confidence and let their drive push themselves into cold situations. If ever in doubt, best to play it safe and keep your dog healthy. I have many pics of Taz and his coat frozen solid and in single digits, he goes about his business like normal. His first year he didn't like it, changed as he matured.
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re:

Postby Griffdom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm

uppower wrote:So griffons don't handle cold water well? I was under the influence they were on par with labs...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I may have missed something, but it seems the consensus is that they do...
Griffdom
hunter
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 am

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby uppower » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:05 am

Thanks Griffdom that was what I thought I had heard as well. Just thought some of the above was contrary
.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uppower
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Re:

Postby Griffdom » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:12 am

uppower wrote:Thanks Griffdom that was what I thought I had heard as well. Just thought some of the above was contrary
.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No problem. I don't know if I would say that they would handle the cold water as well as your top bred lab. Labs have more fat and are generally larger/heavier than your typical griff, which helps it stay warmer than the griff in extreme temps. The average griff will have a little more fat on its ribs than most of the other pointing versatile breeds which I think helps give it a certain level of staying power in most conditions. The griff is built with all around versatility in mind. It needs to have a little higher body fat content than the average pointer to withstand harsher water's, but not as heavy as a lab so that it can run better in the uplands.

With any dog you have to be aware of your dogs state in cold water conditions. Everyone talks about coat when it comes to colder conditions, and this is a big factor, but one of the possibly more important factors IMHO is body mass. Also,one thing that will help your buddy stay a little warmer is feeding it a high calorie meal before leaving your house the days you duck hunt. The digestion process and having the extra calories will warm the dog somewhat. The same is the case for humans. Human's are more prone to getting chilled/cold when they have an empty stomach.
Griffdom
hunter
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 am

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Griffdom wrote:
uppower wrote:Thanks Griffdom that was what I thought I had heard as well. Just thought some of the above was contrary
.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No problem. I don't know if I would say that they would handle the cold water as well as your top bred lab. Labs have more fat and are generally larger/heavier than your typical griff, which helps it stay warmer than the griff in extreme temps. The average griff will have a little more fat on its ribs than most of the other pointing versatile breeds which I think helps give it a certain level of staying power in most conditions. The griff is built with all around versatility in mind. It needs to have a little higher body fat content than the average pointer to withstand harsher water's, but not as heavy as a lab so that it can run better in the uplands.

With any dog you have to be aware of your dogs state in cold water conditions. Everyone talks about coat when it comes to colder conditions, and this is a big factor, but one of the possibly more important factors IMHO is body mass. Also,one thing that will help your buddy stay a little warmer is feeding it a high calorie meal before leaving your house the days you duck hunt. The digestion process and having the extra calories will warm the dog somewhat. The same is the case for humans. Human's are more prone to getting chilled/cold when they have an empty stomach.



I wish I could put some fat on Taz, my dad said he feels like petting a sack of antlers!

#tazincali2014itsgonnahappen
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

"Other" Breeds

Postby uppower » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:38 pm

The bad thing for my Boykin is the little lady is a vet and he is allergic to everything! Feed him food outside his hypoallergenic food and his hair starts falling out...she would kill me for messing with his diet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uppower
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Same with Dutch. He gets fed 3 times a day, for a total of 6 cups. Also, this is my first, so don't know if it's "standard" or not- he hates the heat. Absolutely hates it. He won't sleep unless he has a fan blowing on him, and I notice how much more comfortable he seems to be the colder it gets. Time will tell, I guess.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:59 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384077540.452237.jpg
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re:

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27 am

assateague wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384077540.452237.jpg


Is that Dutch?
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4170
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby assateague » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:14 am

Yep, he's getting big fast.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:21 am

assateague wrote:Yep, he's getting big fast.


HOLY CRAP! How much does he weigh? He looks huge!! My girl is turning 6 months this week and was 49lbs when she got her Lepto vaccine on Monday.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4170
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby assateague » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:54 am

42 pounds last Monday. He'll be 5 months old next week, so probably about the same as yours. He's all legs when you see him "normal". I think the pic just caught him with his legs tucked up and his hair fluffed by the wind- I feed him 3 times a day just to keep from seeing his spine. It's ridiculous :lol3:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beanz2166 and 17 guests