catahoula lake water level

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Re: catahoula lake water level

Postby Toledo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Park Duck wrote:I think someone needs to organize a clean up weekend out there. Like the state does for crab traps.

Now that's not a bad idea. Any newbie that needs to build a new spread could fill up a couple bags in an afternoon of walking the tree edges. I would also like to see the "jug" hunters forced to pick up their trash each season or hit with huge littering fines. As it is, they just add a trailer load every year and couldnt care less about all the trash they let float off or sink from the previous year.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Mr.L wrote:If the LDWF wants to get rid of the woody vegetation problem especially the water elm on Catahoula Lake they need to purchase some tree shredders like the slash buster. These devices can be mounted on a track hoe and work in even marshy areas. The blades can be sharpened in a few minutes after a days work. They will grind a tree down to the roots extremely fast. This device would make short work of a water elm. These shredders could be used not only on Catahoula Lake but over the entire state on refuges to remove unwanted trees. Bulldozers will push up and pile up trees but they still have to be burnt. The slash buster is environmentally safe and chips up trees to a mulch that will rot. I am not connected to this company or sell them by the way. Go to http://www.slashbuster.com and see some videos. I am sure you would be impressed.

I have been impressed, but what I've seen is relatively small acreages in a day's time. We are also working with some companies that produce wood pellets, who's clearing doesn't leave any debris at all, but we are having some market problems. (Something about the state not competing with private landowners who are selling the wood, when we just want to give it away in exchange for their clearing the woods). We are also pursuing a contract with the Louisiana National Guard to clear, burn, and redistribute residue on 1,800 acres. I'm not sure what will eventually be done.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Park Duck wrote:Well the "lets just bush hog the clear areas now" is a bunch of bs.

Not true. It is currently the most cost-effective way to keep encroaching woody vegetation at bay. If it gets too large to bush-hog, then it has to be cleared. We've not yet found a herbicide that kills the larger trees since granulated Tordon was made illegal.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Toledo wrote:Larry, do you have a link to the 1955 description?

There isn't a single description. I have to put one together from Dewey Will's thesis, aerial photos, and some other documents at that time.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:29 am

Lreynolds, When does the grant money or time run out on the Catahoula Lake Restoration Project? The bed of Catahoula Lake does not dry up every year to do clearing work on the woody vegetation problem. All it takes is one four or five inch rain in late September or October and that's it for driving on the lake bed. All of the red tape for restoration work whether using the National Guard or some private enterprise has to be ready in advance. I assume that access is through the Catahoula Wildlife Refuge. That road is closed if it gets too wet. The water elm problem continues to worsen especially in the Big Bend area each year. Most of the areas that were opened up several years ago have already grown back up. If a wood pellet company would come in and clear it for free, I don't think anyone should complain about that. If the National Guard has to be used, that would work too. I just want to see progress on solving the woody vegetation problem. Thanks for your efforts.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:27 am

Lreynolds wrote:
Toledo wrote:Larry, do you have a link to the 1955 description?

There isn't a single description. I have to put one together from Dewey Will's thesis, aerial photos, and some other documents at that time.

That would be awesome if you could do that. I would love to read it.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Mr.L wrote:Lreynolds, When does the grant money or time run out on the Catahoula Lake Restoration Project? The bed of Catahoula Lake does not dry up every year to do clearing work on the woody vegetation problem. All it takes is one four or five inch rain in late September or October and that's it for driving on the lake bed. All of the red tape for restoration work whether using the National Guard or some private enterprise has to be ready in advance. I assume that access is through the Catahoula Wildlife Refuge. That road is closed if it gets too wet. The water elm problem continues to worsen especially in the Big Bend area each year. Most of the areas that were opened up several years ago have already grown back up. If a wood pellet company would come in and clear it for free, I don't think anyone should complain about that. If the National Guard has to be used, that would work too. I just want to see progress on solving the woody vegetation problem. Thanks for your efforts.

You have hit on some big reasons why this is a difficult problem to tackle, why we are keeping the water level at 27.0 instead of 27.5 this year after 2 years of not being able to get out there on the lakebed, and some of the justification to experiment with drawdown dates in conjunction with dendrological research on water-elm in attempt to slow the encroachment through hydrology. I'm not sure how fruitful the varying hydrology will be at this point, especially given the tolerances of those species.

There is no grant money or time limit on Catahoula Lake; we are using duck stamp, federal aid, and conservation funds (LDWF's basic operating fund) for our work. If I can get a decent area cleared (say 100 acres) so we can measure the response, we would be able to quantify the effects on food production to support what I think would be a competitive NAWCA grant to fund clearing. I've been frustrated by our attempts/failures to get people out to demonstrate what they can do toward this issue. both in terms of weather, but also political climate. Last year, Sanchez Oil objected to our drawdown dates and used their political influence to force a later drawdown. This year we've had some success until the latest rain but have been taking all kinds of grief from teal hunters and their state representatives.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:39 pm

Listen It doesn't matter if the water would be a half foot higher out there the teal just arent here. And for someone to cry about water level during teal season to their Rep is just stupid. Big duck season is much more important than 16 days for teal. Get it right for teal season and limit the amount of food for big duck and see how much crybaby crap you get? Damned if you do damned if you don't. Draw the son of a gun down to 26.5, take a collection up from whoever wants to donate to fly in millet seed and don't bring the water up to 27.5 for the start of big duck and then bring it up a half a foot every ten -14 days. If a fella doesn't like that he doesn't have water at "his blind" than to damn bad adapt.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Park Duck wrote:Listen It doesn't matter if the water would be a half foot higher out there the teal just arent here. And for someone to cry about water level during teal season to their Rep is just stupid. Big duck season is much more important than 16 days for teal. Get it right for teal season and limit the amount of food for big duck and see how much crybaby crap you get? Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Amen ...... but it doesn't work that way. I just received a letter from the Secretary to a state Representative assuring him that this will not happen next year. Clearly, teal hunting is more important. :bow:

So we'll work within those boundaries.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:49 pm

What a load of $hit. People are flocking idiots around there.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Toledo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Lreynolds wrote:This year we've had some success until the latest rain but have been taking all kinds of grief from teal hunters and their state representatives.

That's insane! What a bunch of sand in their vagina women. Maybe I should start pitching a few $K to my state reps demanding that Toledo Bend be held down through duck season. Cause thats how its sposed to be damit.
Toledo
hunter

Postby jsikes723 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Lreynolds,

Could you or someone create a public memo or posting that gives up to date info on Catahoula lake. No matter what you do there will always be someone upset. However I believe if everything that is being done to the lake is relayed to the public from the source and the reasons behind the activities then at least people would not speculate as much. Just a thought and I know I would personally appreciate having information from the source about what is going on with the lake. I support whatever ya'll do as long as the best interest of the lake as a habitat is in mind but it still would be nice to know what is going on and why. Instead of just guessing and assuming what is going on.
jsikes723
Newb

Postby Jayhawker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Just leave the water at 34 all year so I can get to my blind. How's an old man supposed to hunt out there if he can't get to his blind. It's impossible.
You gonna eat that?
Jayhawker
hunter

Previous

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting