How to Stop Calls from Sticking

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

How to Stop Calls from Sticking

Postby luie b » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm getting fed up with my GK call girl, it sounds great but sticks quite a bit. Why does a call stick and how can I prevent it from doing so? I've broke the cork in good so it's not a cork problem I don't think... Any tricks on how to not get a call to stick?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Re: How to Stop Calls from Sticking

Postby Dbishop311 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Maybe you "broke" the cork in too much. Never heard of breaking a cork in. You want a fresh cork. If its worn out or old it could cause it to stick. Try a new fresh cork and check your bend in the reed. Cup goes up bow goes down.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 pm

luie b wrote:I'm getting fed up with my GK call girl, it sounds great but sticks quite a bit. Why does a call stick and how can I prevent it from doing so? I've broke the cork in good so it's not a cork problem I don't think... Any tricks on how to not get a call to stick?

Moisture will cause the reeds to stick. Try not to slobber so much when you call! In all seriousness, spit will cause that. Not sure what you can use to prevent that. Also, run a dollar bill between the reeds to remove dirt and crud. Soak the call in soap water also to clean it up. All that will help.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:51 pm

There is no such thing as breaking in a cork. Has it always stuck or did it just start doing it? If it just started you probably just need to change the cork.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:08 pm

scruggs12 wrote:
luie b wrote:I'm getting fed up with my GK call girl, it sounds great but sticks quite a bit. Why does a call stick and how can I prevent it from doing so? I've broke the cork in good so it's not a cork problem I don't think... Any tricks on how to not get a call to stick?

Moisture will cause the reeds to stick. Try not to slobber so much when you call! In all seriousness, spit will cause that. Not sure what you can use to prevent that. Also, run a dollar bill between the reeds to remove dirt and crud. Soak the call in soap water also to clean it up. All that will help.

Someone needs to invent a chew proof call.

The DD guys say the triple threat will never stick. That call sounds funny
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby honkerhuntin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:08 am

a guy showed me a neat trick a while back... take a fine razor knife, like a box cutter or a utility knife and very cairfuly scrape the top of the tone board. you dont want to cut into it and you dont want to shave any of it off, the idea is to create a rough surface so the read doesnt stick. i tried this a long time ago on my ol' daisy cutter, stuck like a bastard but this did the trick. on a side note, i think the only call that i can honestly say WILL NOT STICK is the Lares Hybrid, my hunting buddy bought a Buck Gardner Spit tech and it hasnt stuck on him all last season.
honkerhuntin
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:15 am

straitkilla02 wrote:There is no such thing as breaking in a cork. Has it always stuck or did it just start doing it? If it just started you probably just need to change the cork.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2

I bought the call at a show last much and it's always stuck like this. I haven't done a lot of calling on it so the cork should be good for this season. I hardly used it all summer because I was away most of the time. I do have a spitting tendency when I call so maybe I'll try to keep it dry
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby jellotree » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:52 am

Single or double? I had the Callgirl double and it stuck like crazy. But I find most double stick once the weather gets a little cooler.

The solution is chap stick. Put a VERY light coat of chap stick on the tone board. Seems to help a lot.
jellotree
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Every call sticks. There is no solution to it.

You can help postpone sticking by not putting as much spit into the call. 9 times out of 10 a sticking call is operator error, not call error.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Ive tried a few Call Girls and as doubles they would stick like crazy. Try to set it up as a single reed. If it sticks real bad the other option is to send it back to them and see if they can fix it.
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:22 am

My brother in law has problems with sticking his Full Scroll DC's......he wipes both sides of the reed and the tone board down with Lemon Pledge. he swears it keeps them from sticking for a few weeks. :yes:

I have also hear of guys that rub the tone board and reed or reeds down with Peanut butter for a few minutes , then buff them clean with a pair of silk panties. :yes: :lol3: :lol3:

Yup I have some demented friends !
I gave the dude a hard time about it, until I noticed his call wasn't stick'in anymore. :thumbsup:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum