Duck Hunting Forum banner

Goose Burger

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  phutch30 
#1 ·
I just got a meat grinder and wanted to try making some goose burger. I'd imagine if I used only goose it would come out pretty dry. As anyone made this stuff and do you have a recipe

#3 ·
You have two choices, really. Do you want a truly awesome gooseburger? Then buy a domestic goose, cut out lots of the extra fat (there will be tons) and use that mixed with the goose meat in an 80% goose, 20% goose fat mixture. If you want a nice gooseburger but not quite as good, buy pork fatback and do the same thing. One word of advice: KEEP THE MEAT AND THE FAT COLD!!! If it gets much beyond 40 degrees you get "smear," which is the fat melting. Your burger will then be dry and unhappy. Keep the meat/fat in a metal bowl over another bowl filled with ice.

This should start you off right. Let me know how it goes!

d.j.

#6 ·
It is very good, Badabing. And yes, you can use duck. With venison I'd use beef fat, with duck I'd use pork fat. They just seem to go better together. Of course, duck fat from a domestic would be even better, but that's a lot of duck fat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.