Molt Migration

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Molt Migration

Postby Jimbuck » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:48 am

Has anyone been seeing any molt migrator's flying through the state? I scouted last weekend and was kind of surprised that I really didn't see any larger flocks of Canadas flying high. I'm really hoping I didn't miss out on this migration as it's treated me well in the past. :hammer:
Jimbuck
hunter

Re: Molt Migration

Postby Feathers » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 am

There have been a lot moving down since the first day of the statewide early goose opener. Last Sunday I saw hundreds heading South. Where have you been?
Feathers
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:44 am

Golfed Sunday just south of the twin cities. Suprised and how many large flocks I saw heading south. They are moving.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby chrisss » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:55 am

They have been moving like crazy. Hard thing is getting permission from landowners
chrisss
hunter

Postby Jimbuck » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:10 am

I appreciate the update guys. Feathers, I've been out of town in Georgia for the last few weeks. Needless to say, I haven't had much of an opportunity to get out and look around.
Jimbuck
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes they are definitely starting to move. The last month or so around my place has been mostly local family flocks of 5-10 but I've seen more and more bigger flocks moving south. Same as every year around the metro. 90 % of crops planted are corn and beans, none of which are cut til October. Those migrators won't stop & stage here with no easily available food. I wish more farmers around here would plant barley and wheat. I've seen a few farmers trying oats and wheat this year, but it's still primarily corn and beans and that corn isn't comin down for 3-5 weeks yet.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Molt has been going but they still aren't very consistent in their feeding habits from my views. hopefully some more cold temps will force them to be more regular.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting