Handheld GPS

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Handheld GPS

Postby bayside » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Considering a gps for this season. What has been your experience and do you have any recommendations. Also, anyone know of any type of apps for android that will approxiamate a GPS unit.
bayside
hunter

Re: Handheld GPS

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:54 pm

I have the Delorme pn-20. It was one of the first civilian units that would allow you to cut and overlay aerial images which is great in the marsh since a topo or roadmap is just about useless in the tidal ditches. I like it but honestly have not used it much in the last few years. They make like a pn-60000 or something now so mine is a dinosaur at only around 5 years old.

My brother has a nice little Garmin that you can overlay sat images on as well.

But this day in age who needs a handheld gps when you really only need it casually for hunting or hiking when everyone has smart phones (except for me). Google earth is nice because you can use the measure function to see how far you are from say a house or the ramp. Not sure if that function is available on the phones. Bing maps is nice because you can a really detailed 'birds eye' view which is way better than your general sat imagery. My girlfriend just picked up a nice mapping app. Not sure what it is called though.

Id say get a life case and use your phone. Just don't drop it in the creek!

ps. Did you get my email?
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am

I bought an Garmin E-Trex Legend a few years ago so it's probably outdated, but for what I wanted it works OK. I save my waypoints for a spot I want to return to,then name the spot and whenever I want to return it sends me back to that spot. It has a bunch of features that I don't use. If I were to buy another I'd go for the simplest model I could find.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby TheWanderer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:17 pm

I have a Garmin Oregon. Bought it off my dad when he couldn't figure out the details for it. He went back to what I think is an e-trex that is simpler to use. The Oregon is really nice. Very useful if you ever plan on doing western hunting for knowing what property you're on. Theres a lot of maps you can load onto it. I bought a $15 dollar mount for it and can lock it onto the dash of my boat. That combined with the sonar/depthfinder and I'm very happy.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted
TheWanderer
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting