what is happening to our state?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

what is happening to our state?

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:44 pm

how can this happen?

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/brookline/2013/09/brookline_police_arrest_man_after_alleged_leaf_blower_violat.html

By Brock Parker, Town Correspondent

Brookline Police arrested a landscaper Saturday for allegedly violating local leaf blower laws and then refusing to identify himself to an officer.

Marvin Astillo, 40, of Waltham, was arrested Saturday after Brookline Police said they spotted him and another man using gasoline powered leaf blowers in a parking lot at 850 Boylston Street Saturday morning before 9 a.m. Three other men were also doing landscaping work on the property at the time including pulling weeds and using a lawn mower, according to a police report.

Police signaled for the men to stop working and informed them that under a local bylaw governing leaf blower use in Brookline they are not allowed to use the gasoline-powered tools between May 15 and Sept. 15 and they are not allowed to perform landscaping work before 9 a.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Police informed the men that Saturday was Yom Kippur.

The local leaf blower laws took effect in Brookline in June 2012, and violations carry fines ranging from $50 for a first offense to $200 for a third offense.

But when police asked Astillo to identify himself, he asked why he needed to provide identification, according to the police report. Police again informed him that he was violating the town’s bylaws and he needed to provide identification so he could be issued a citation for the violation, according to police. Police said Astillo again refused to identify himself and when police asked a third time he began to walk away and was shaking his head.

He was then arrested on a charge of refusing to submit his name and identification to police and for two violations of town bylaws, according to police.

The second man who had been operating a leaf blower, whose name has not been released, said he was the foreman and identified himself to police. He was fined a total of $100 for operating a gasoline powered leaf blower between May 15 and Sept. 15 and performing landscaping with equipment prior to 9 a.m. on a Saturday, according to police.

--brock.globe@gmail.com
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: what is happening to our state?

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Hopefully all Landscaping businesses, contractors and other workers boycott doing business in Brookline!

Make the privileged upper crust mow their own yards and heaven forbid someone might have to rake! And who gives a flying F-Bomb what religious holiday it is!!! I might be wrong but I believe we are supposed to maintain a separation of church and state.

I would have responded to the cop that September 14 is . . . . National Cream-filled Donut Day :thumbsup: (it really is!) Now go to DD and get some and let me make a living. :hi:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:32 am

Libs love to control peoples lives...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Jofa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:01 am

Im sure some will flame me or call me a 'statist' for my opinion but here goes....

The police were enforcing the laws that YOU the citizens requested be passed, and a law that one of YOUR fellow citizens called 911 to complain was occurring. The police are required to respond to these 911 calls regardless of their personal feelings about the matter. I'm not saying that a lot of these ordinances aren't foolish, but the police didn't write them, YOUR CITY OR STATE REPRESENTATIVES DID. Your representatives also passed a law that says if you REFUSE TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF after violating a city ordinance - you WILL be arrested.

Whats ridiculous is this foreman either not knowing or pretending he doesn't know the ordinances of the town he works in EVERY DAY, and then allowing his employee to get into it with the police and get arrested before he steps in and handles the situation?

Those guys could easily have said, "Geeze, I didnt know there was an noise ordinance in effect, sorrry about that." and surely all would have been resolved.
Jofa
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:37 am

Jofa: It does seem that it would have been a lot easier to show his "papers" and plead ignorance to the law. At least then he might have had a 50/50 chance of just getting a warning.

Even in my town the police/fire department or whatever officials that are sent out to a complaint will usually just tell the offender to: stop burning, quiet your noisy party, etc. and if the offenders comply everything is OK.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Jofa,
Those are all valid points.

I was having some fun. It really was National Creme filled Donut Day! :biggrin:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:55 pm

perfectly valid points, jofa. i would never bash the police doing their job. i am not faulting them. they do not make the laws. i just think it is a bad law that never should have been passed and that it is a shame that it boiled over into the guy getting arrested on the job. he probably did know that what he was doing was a violation and should have cooperated. im just frustrated that laws like this are being passed and that voters are letting it happen.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Jofa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:08 pm

No problem guys, sometimes it seems to me that people blame the cops for responding to citizens' complaints and or for the goofy law they are there for. I just cant imagine a cop would wake up on a saturday morning thinking "I had better not hear one stinkin leaf blower when i get to work!" :lol3:

As for crazy town ordinances, how about my town - that has actually outlawed Ice Cream Truck Music?
Not to be outdone, i know that Boston outlawed those little plastic 'Crazy String' poppers, supposedly because some kid scared a city councilor when they popped it near him at a parade. :rolleyes:
Jofa
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Certainly not proud, but I might have y'all beat in Concord.

No plastic water bottles for sale in the whole town. So, kids now have the choice of sugary soda or sugar based fruit drinks at school. Oh, yeah, THAT's healthy and a good idea. :no: Not only passed once, it was brought up for repeal and passed again...

The worst, though, was a measure to require cats be on leashes. So they don't bother birds. Really.

I was alternately super popular and super loathed when I stated how much I loved birds. Grilled, roasted, sauteed, etc... :lol3:

Cats on a leash. Thank goodness that one didn't pass (although it was brought up twice, as well).

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby JTR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:24 am

What's the penalty for bootlegging bottled water?
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting