Duck Hunting Forum banner

DNR kicking around a 2014 teal season

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  doubletheshovel 
#1 ·
Just read an article on star tribune outdoor section that says DNR is considering a 2014 teal season.

#6 ·
And when would we have this teal season? IF next year is like this year we would have to have it in between youth day and the opener which would be Sept.14th. So in that case why not do away with the youth hunt and open the season on the 7th. I may catch flack for this comment, but Cordts is pushing this in my option for the license revenue only and not the interest of hunters. Sure having a Teal season would be fun and we would have a chance to kill the snot out of them for a bit, but can Minnesota sustain with a Teal season without first looking at and correcting our habitat issues first. And what would it do to our opener? Most guys look forward to opening weekend and the top birds bagged opening weekend is Teal and Wood ducks, So is opening weekend success going to go down because of the Teal season? just a few thought I have on this one.

#7 ·
Had a Teal season in Texas. It was great and made scouting spots for regular season more fun. With that said I believe an early teal season would completely ruin Minnesota's " Big duck " Opener.

Just my opinion.

#8 ·
Love it love it love it. Now that being said I will almost guarantee that the DNR will screw this one up and definately not going to get my hopes up. I only hope that it does not have an impact on how long our season goes, I would much rather shoot mallards in December than teal in September. To be able to hunt teal in the 1st couple weeks of September would be great, sure would screw up my goose hunting though...

#9 ·
As much as I like the idea, I think far too many people are unable to identify teal from woodies, mallards and other brown ducks that early. With the lack of CO's to enforce the season it would lead to a lot of misidentified dead ducks floating around. In the end I think it would cause more harm then good.

#11 ·
As far as misidentification goes, I think its a silly argument. Half the other states are dealing with it. Plus, if people can't tell teal from others there's NO way their counting scaup, pintails, blacks, and redheads.

There may or may not be some issues the first year, but teal are arguably way overpopulated and its a joke that only the southern states are allowed to shoot them early. More days in the field may bring more people into the sport, which we desperately need to keep our sport strong.

#13 ·
I totally agree that most people would just shoot ducks flying towards them without being able to tell teal from woody. The DNR is just going to have to work more giving out tickets to people shooting the wrong birds.

#14 ·
I agree with ifail and see beretta24's points. Question-what other states have this and just how are the other states dealing with the potential id issue ? If it's mostly states south of the 44th parallel, are the birds just that much more feathered to allow for a quick id? Are we just too far north to make this work? I think a lot of young ducks would be shot mistakenly. I think that all of us have shot a few ducks that we wrongly identified at the time of the shot.... Especially early on in the season. Be safe....mauser

#15 ·
Bluewings don't color out until after every teal season is closed...location doesn't matter.

Others states do what we do for every other bird species: expect people to follow the law, and don't accept ignorance as an excuse. If they are really worried they could start shooting time at sunrise or something. There will be growing pains as with any change, but that's not a reason not to do something.

When limits drop on other species you're REALLY going to want a teal season. Why wait until then?

#17 ·
Limits are what they are and really don't impact how I hunt. I'm not a numbers hunter. Actually, if there was a way to push out the season closure dates that would suite me just fine. Split season, defined choice seasons or whatever is allowed under the Fed timeframes. Keep your powder dry....mauser :thumbsup:

#18 ·
If they have a 2 day teal season the second weekend of September and push back the regular opener 2 weekends later that would work. Last weekend I saw massive amounts of BWT buzzing around. I'm going to guess the peak teal migration is the 2nd or 3rd weekend of September most years. I would love it, teal are a great eating duck as well.

#19 ·
mauserfan said:
Limits are what they are and really don't impact how I hunt. I'm not a numbers hunter. Actually, if there was a way to push out the season closure dates that would suite me just fine. Split season, defined choice seasons or whatever is allowed under the Fed timeframes. Keep your powder dry....mauser :thumbsup:
Limits mean a lot to many, and know my "you" was meant in a general sense and not directly specifically at you. I still be out there regardless, but others won't and that takes dollars away from our sport.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

#20 ·
I understand. Is this why the state/feds don't push the conservative belief that " a bird/animal shot is included in your limit. It's up to the hunter to bring it to hand" ? If this is in the new regulations, I apologize as I have not read them. I may have opened up another issue here but, it is one that we sportsmen/women all should believe in and live by....thanks....masuer

#22 ·
But man there are good points on this on both sides. Enforcing people who shoot other species will be next to impossible. The few people that will be caught will be made examples of but the vast majority would get away with it. So if species identification, or even people flat out shooting and not caring if its really a wood duck is an issue, that that could obviously create alot of problems.

I'm not an expert, but I think the difference between other states and us here in MN, is that other states don't have the local populations of ducks that we do in MN. When the teal start migrating through other states, they're aren't near as many species to confuse them with, and they aren't really effecting a "big opener" because the majority of the ducks they will be shooting are still far to the north.

To me it really just boils down to a lack of faith in people being lawful, so I wouldn't really be for it.

#23 ·
I am a firm believer of not hunting geese over water in the early season, but the fact is we already have it and it is not going to change. I can start that rant all over again, but i've given my yearly thought on that one already.
If I can hunt teal in early September and not have it take any days away from the regular season like other states have, sounds good to me. Be a good reason to push out the season a little longer into December which would be great.

#24 ·
Combining a two day teal season with a youth day is a good option in my mind.

If it were up to me, kids would get to shoot all ducks according to regular season rules. Adults harvest teal only. That way any "oops" ducks would go toward the youth bag. This would promote adults bringing a kid. I think youth day currently is underutilized because it's only one day and adults can't participate. Run the teal/youth season the weekend after labor day.

#25 ·
MinneKans said:
Combining a two day teal season with a youth day is a good option in my mind.

If it were up to me, kids would get to shoot all ducks according to regular season rules. Adults harvest teal only. That way any "oops" ducks would go toward the youth bag. This would promote adults bringing a kid. I think youth day currently is underutilized because it's only one day and adults can't participate. Run the teal/youth season the weekend after labor day.
That sounds tight actually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.