fog lights for boat?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

fog lights for boat?

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:40 pm

In your opinion, what are the best VALUE fog lights for a boat? Thanks
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Re: fog lights for boat?

Postby beaunelli » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:08 pm

Burners from wally world in automotive/lighting aisle. 23 dollars for 2 lights with mounting brackets /wiring. very bright and excellent quality for the price ,,, I think they are 55W they are the rectangle ones
beaunelli
hunter

Postby beaunelli » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:18 pm

the ones you inquired about on the other post is the ones i'm referring too
beaunelli
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Get some 27 watt LED's off E-Bay.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:39 pm

beaunelli wrote:Burners from wally world in automotive/lighting aisle. 23 dollars for 2 lights with mounting brackets /wiring. very bright and excellent quality for the price ,,, I think they are 55W they are the rectangle ones

Pretty decent lights, although I would recommend buying a quality bulb when you get them. The ones that come with them are garbage. The only problem is their high amp draw. I have 2 on my boat, and I only use them in emergencies when running the river. My charging system on my outboard can barely keep up.

If you aren't wanting to broadcast light a long distance, but would rather light up the immediate water, I would recommend led spreader lights.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Sweet, thanks.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:41 pm

T man that's my issue, need something with low draw. I don't have any charging source on board... At least not this year.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:33 pm

jakefromflorida wrote:T man that's my issue, need something with low draw. I don't have any charging source on board... At least not this year.

Are you runnning a trolling motor or an outboard?

If running a trolling motor, I would recommend either a second battery, an led light bar, or a hand held spotlight. The light bars are expensive, a second battery isn't cheap and adds another 70-80lbs, and you have to figure out where to keep the spotlight when you arent using it.

If you aren't running a trolling motor, and have no use for a battery other than for lighting, get the lights you want and a good charger.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:40 am

T Man wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:T man that's my issue, need something with low draw. I don't have any charging source on board... At least not this year.

Are you runnning a trolling motor or an outboard?

If running a trolling motor, I would recommend either a second battery, an led light bar, or a hand held spotlight. The light bars are expensive, a second battery isn't cheap and adds another 70-80lbs, and you have to figure out where to keep the spotlight when you arent using it.

If you aren't running a trolling motor, and have no use for a battery other than for lighting, get the lights you want and a good charger.

No trolling motor this year... But it is a possibility in the future. But its a 25 mud buddy longtail, Other then that nothin is drawing on the batt. With season being so close I may just go the spot light route, But I also need to get some running lights before then as well

Nothing like waiting last minute right... :beer:
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby Riverrunner342 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:28 pm

You might want to consider getting HID driving lights. They can be purchased on ebay at different price points and quite incredible with the amount of concentrated light that they put out.

Good luck with your search.
Riverrunner342
hunter

Postby montanaman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

Hi,
I was wondering what type of water are you on? I am looking for lights to run a river. I am thinking of three up front. One in the middle and two on each side? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
montanaman
Newb

Postby T Man » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:10 am

montanaman wrote:Hi,
I was wondering what type of water are you on? I am looking for lights to run a river. I am thinking of three up front. One in the middle and two on each side? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

I regularly run a river during the summer at night in my boat. I have found that there is no shortcutting when it comes to lighting. If you can, mount your lights as high as possible. Lights just above the surface of the water lose a lot of their effectiveness. If I can find a picture of my old boat with the light bar on it, I will show you what I am talking about.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:53 am

Respectfully, I will disagree with "mounting lights as high as possible."

I keep my lights under my bow to avoid all the glare , any fog, mist steam off the water is drastically decreases visibility the higher the light is.

Under the bow for running is my vote :thumbsup: it again will reduce the glare that will come off the boat. Also they are out of the way for being knock off, trip hazard , just plan in the way..

Two 100 halogens spot driving and two 55 halogen fog lights.

Just my .02...
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby montanaman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks for info.

Would you run them directly from the battery or a charging system. I will be in very cold weather sometimes below zero.

Thanks,
montanaman
Newb

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:26 pm

montanaman wrote:Thanks for info.

Would you run them directly from the battery or a charging system. I will be in very cold weather sometimes below zero.

Thanks,

Ahh, I run my lights to a switch panel with other items, bilge, etc.

My crank battery does nothing but crank engine. Separate battery in front for lights and if needed in emergency can switch either battery for using, lights or cranking engine. Engine has alternator that charges battery.

your not going to get a long run time on a battery if your running halogen lights with out charging. but I only use the lights for running, so basically if the lights are on, the engine is running.

hope that makes sense.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Weedwacker wrote:Respectfully, I will disagree with "mounting lights as high as possible."

I keep my lights under my bow to avoid all the glare , any fog, mist steam off the water is drastically decreases visibility the higher the light is.

Under the bow for running is my vote :thumbsup: it again will reduce the glare that will come off the boat. Also they are out of the way for being knock off, trip hazard , just plan in the way..

Just my .02...

Completely agree, however, the closer a light is to the water, the less efficient it will be. I had a set of lights mounted on the bow of my old boat, and it was ok, but when I mounted the same lights on the light hoop, it made a night and day difference. I guess the primary use of the boat dictates the ideal light mounting area.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby coulterville33 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:40 pm

Harbor freight think 20 bucks let them run in garage for 30 min on marine battery and were still going strong
coulterville33
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Funny you ask sir. I've been researching lights and light bars for a few weeks now after a stump showed me who daddy was last year. The CHEAPEST place I've found is a website that hooks people up with the Chinese companies that make the lights for american retailers. It basically cuts out the middle man. The current one I'm looking at is http://auroralight.en.alibaba.com/produ ... _9072.html
11k lumens at 72watt draw. Comes in beam or flood. It's basically the sun on demand. Light bars sold from cabelas/baja cost close to 400-1000 per unit. I figure i'd give these knock offs a try and if it sucks, i'm only out 50 bucks.

You can purchase 1 or 2 "sample" units from the factory and, once you receive it, tell them you're not interested (you pay for the samples and not be a jerk). Keep in mind, they're looking to sell in bulk which is why they're sending you paid samples.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:31 am

Cantshootwell wrote:Funny you ask sir. I've been researching lights and light bars for a few weeks now after a stump showed me who daddy was last year. The CHEAPEST place I've found is a website that hooks people up with the Chinese companies that make the lights for american retailers. It basically cuts out the middle man. The current one I'm looking at is http://auroralight.en.alibaba.com/produ ... _9072.html
11k lumens at 72watt draw. Comes in beam or flood. It's basically the sun on demand. Light bars sold from cabelas/baja cost close to 400-1000 per unit. I figure i'd give these knock offs a try and if it sucks, i'm only out 50 bucks.

You can purchase 1 or 2 "sample" units from the factory and, once you receive it, tell them you're not interested (you pay for the samples and not be a jerk). Keep in mind, they're looking to sell in bulk which is why they're sending you paid samples.

Thanks for the link. I signed up and have some price requests submitted to a few people. Have you actually purchased anything from this site yet?
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby threedogs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:50 am

Subscribed
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:43 am

T Man wrote:
Cantshootwell wrote:Funny you ask sir. I've been researching lights and light bars for a few weeks now after a stump showed me who daddy was last year. The CHEAPEST place I've found is a website that hooks people up with the Chinese companies that make the lights for american retailers. It basically cuts out the middle man. The current one I'm looking at is http://auroralight.en.alibaba.com/produ ... _9072.html

Thanks for the link. I signed up and have some price requests submitted to a few people. Have you actually purchased anything from this site yet?

I have not, but my wife's, friend's, cousin (sound shady, right?) actually makes a living off order stuff from alibaba and re-selling it on craigslist. I've talked to him many times about it. He said only deal with the gold sellers because they are verified legit.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:11 am

Cantshootwell wrote:
T Man wrote:

I have not, but my wife's, friend's, cousin (sound shady, right?) actually makes a living off order stuff from alibaba and re-selling it on craigslist. I've talked to him many times about it. He said only deal with the gold sellers because they are verified legit.

Sounds totally legit.......

Keep me informed on whether or not you are going to order. I dont do pay pal, but I could mail you money. That price you sent me sounds pretty good. I wonder if we could get the shipping down if we bought a carton of them (4 per carton) I am going to buy 2 anyway, and I have to imagine it would drop the shipping cost tremendously if they sent 1 box instead of 3 or 4. If the price drops enough, and you dont want it, I would buy the 3rd and just keep it around for something.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:58 am

I have two 100w lights on the front and I just ordered new lights this week. I did not light them for running the marsh and river. I found myself quickly searching for my hand held spot. I am changing the bulbs back to 55w and keeping the lights up front for setting decoys. I'm going to mount my lights in the housing.
Attachments
lights.JPG
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:55 am

That is awesome.
Made me chuckle
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Cantshootwell wrote:

After looking some more, I believe I am going to run a pair of these: http://auroralight.en.alibaba.com/produ ... _2072.html

Currently my 4 55watt lights draw almost 20 amps and only put out 4400 lumens (All based on math, not actual) A pair of these on the front will provide almost 9000 lumens at 7 amps. :grooving:
T Man
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds