options to cover aluminum deck

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

options to cover aluminum deck

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Just bought a new boat, is has a new aluminum deck built in which is way too shiney. What are some options I have as for covering it? I'm interested in both cheap and fast ways and also the more costly/efficient ways of covering it. I was thinking either the heavy duty rubber mats or dull it with acid then a off brand of bed liner that has texture. What's your thoughts?
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
jakefromflorida
hunter
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 am


Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby beaunelli » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

bed liner have it on mine looks and works great
beaunelli
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 pm

beaunelli wrote:bed liner have it on mine looks and works great

What did you prep it with, do you remember what brand you used. I got two co workers contradicting each other regarding it did and did not work well for them.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
jakefromflorida
hunter
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 am

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby beaunelli » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:58 pm

don't remember, just scuff it up real good w sandpaper before applying
beaunelli
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:39 pm

10 fo, thank ya.

Anyone else?
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
jakefromflorida
hunter
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 am

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby goosie119 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:48 pm

http://www.sears.com/best-step-antifatigue-foam-floor-mat-black/p-00914118000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

best boat floor covering made and way cheaper than hydroturf brand. doesn't absorb water and stays cool in the sun. tack it down with 3m super 90 spray adhesive.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...


If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 8:47 pm
Location: the DP, WI

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby scruggs12 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:51 pm

jakefromflorida wrote:Just bought a new boat, is has a new aluminum deck built in which is way too shiney. What are some options I have as for covering it? I'm interested in both cheap and fast ways and also the more costly/efficient ways of covering it. I was thinking either the heavy duty rubber mats or dull it with acid then a off brand of bed liner that has texture. What's your thoughts?


Get a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. They offer it in a brownish color. You can just lay it down and not use glue so it can be removed and able to dry. It usually comes in 6 ft widths by whatever length you need.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:22 pm

goosie119 wrote:http://www.sears.com/best-step-antifatigue-foam-floor-mat-black/p-00914118000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

best boat floor covering made and way cheaper than hydroturf brand. doesn't absorb water and stays cool in the sun. tack it down with 3m super 90 spray adhesive.

I actually kind of like this idea, especially if it would come up easy after a few years or when they start wearing bad. I bet they'd be a PITA after adhesive trying to remove it and scrap every little piece up. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks guys, good stuff your coming up with.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
jakefromflorida
hunter
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 am

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby dgram36 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:09 pm

There is a lot of expensive ways to cover a boat floor. If you can afford the good stuff I would do that. I couldn't, so I primed mine and used behr deck over to cover it. I let it cure for a long time in the sun. It has held up pretty well and will cost you about $30 plus primer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379549354.917307.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379549368.333977.jpg
User avatar
dgram36
hunter
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:33 pm

dgram36 wrote:There is a lot of expensive ways to cover a boat floor. If you can afford the good stuff I would do that. I couldn't, so I primed mine and used behr deck over to cover it. I let it cure for a long time in the sun. It has held up pretty well and will cost you about $30 plus primer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379549354.917307.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379549368.333977.jpg

I like it, nice work. Please explain long time. Also what method(s) did you use for preping it?
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
jakefromflorida
hunter
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 am

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby t_baker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Well Jakefromstatefarm, I used Raptor Bed liner. 1 qt will go a long way. Comes with a spray gun and hardner. Probably around 30 bucks. You can paint over it or use get it in tintable and add a base color and spray the color you want. I have had it on my boat a couple years and its like new still. Nice traction and easy to spray. Just prep with 80 grit, spray with etching primer and coat with the liner.


Here is a link to my rebuild when I got my boat. A bunch of pics are not there from the server change but the ones of the bed liner are.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=181018
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 8234
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby FinnLandR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Self-etching primer in rattle cans covered by Parker duck boat paint. 5 years and counting..... :thumbsup:
FinnLandR
hunter
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby dgram36 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:24 pm

jakefromflorida wrote:
dgram36 wrote:There is a lot of expensive ways to cover a boat floor. If you can afford the good stuff I would do that. I couldn't, so I primed mine and used behr deck over to cover it. I let it cure for a long time in the sun. It has held up pretty well and will cost you about $30 plus primer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379549354.917307.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379549368.333977.jpg

I like it, nice work. Please explain long time. Also what method(s) did you use for preping it?

I let it bake for a week in the summer sun. I prepped with mineral salts, white vinegar and self etching primer (2 coats). Then I painted two coats and done. Like I said, there's plenty of better ways. I wanted it to match the boat so I was happy with the color selection and availability. If you can afford over alternatives, then you should go with them. Good luck and remember, it's 90% preparation and 10% application.
User avatar
dgram36
hunter
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:25 pm

10 4, thanks guys for the input.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
jakefromflorida
hunter
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 am

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby dgram36 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Where you live in Florida?
User avatar
dgram36
hunter
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:54 pm

dgram36 wrote:Where you live in Florida?

North central
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
jakefromflorida
hunter
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 am

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby Cajunwannabe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Anti fatigue mat from pep boys. 21.00 for nearly 4 x 8 sheet. 3M Spray adhesive. appears to be the same material as hydroturf and a LOT cheaper. I tested it at 99 degrees outside and you can stand on my deck in bare feet when you couldn't stand on the painted wooden floor.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/ ... quantity=1
Cajunwannabe
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:52 pm
Location: Wishing I was in SE Louisina

Re: options to cover aluminum deck

Postby duckhuntertls » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:55 am

Hey Jack, I have a 16 ft Jon Boat, bought it new had an aluminum floor put in. Every year it was the same thing paint peels off. Last pre season I bought from Ebay the wide nonslip tape. I got it in 6in wide but they make it in 12in also. I ended up having some left over but I paid around $80 for the roll. I could of painted it but I wanted to see if it worked. After a year of the dog jumping in and out, rains which at time leaves some water in the bottom, Terrible hot sun, (live in Florida) fish flopping around in the bottom, the tape has never lifted. It keeps the floor from being slippery when you throw a cast net also. It was easy to drill throughto find the drain holes in the floor (never tore). That tape which is used as anonslip on concrete can withstand rain heat and cold. Best of all it doesn't skuff when you are dragging the layout boat out of the jon boat .
duckhuntertls
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:11 pm


Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests