Field hunting near a big river?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Field hunting near a big river?

Postby MJO21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 am

I mostly hunt the Missouri River. I am interested in hunting many of the fields in that area but I a concerned about visibility.

The river is lined by trees...do ducks fly high enough over the tree tops to see a field spread? I cannot see the river so I would be calling with no idea if anything is there. Any thoughts or advise?
MJO21
hunter

Re: Field hunting near a big river?

Postby luie b » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 am

You shouldn't have any problems, especially if they're migrators they won't be flying really low all the time, the only problem I could see is that if you were working a group of ducks they might short stop you and land on the river. Sounds like a good spot to hunt though.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby Rutin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:41 am

We have a lot of success hunting fields like this in OH and we don't have superb waterfowl hunting here either. I key in on bends in the river and hunt secluded fields or wait til a good rain comes and washes the river out of the banks into the fields..... now that's some good hunting!!!
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 am

MJO21 wrote:I mostly hunt the Missouri River. I am interested in hunting many of the fields in that area but I a concerned about visibility.

The river is lined by trees...do ducks fly high enough over the tree tops to see a field spread? I cannot see the river so I would be calling with no idea if anything is there. Any thoughts or advise?

Just scout and see what fields the ducks are feeding in...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Ducks will short cut across bends in the river. That is my bread and butter.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby MidMo35 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:30 pm

I hunt the Missouri River as well near Jeff city. I find where the river bends around larger fields and the ducks will cut across and fly low enough to work. Find a cut in the trees where birds may fly through and sit between them. The geese really like these spots as well
MidMo35
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:53 pm

I also hunt the Misouri in Central Montana. As stated hunt where the river bends or oxbows. Again find where the birds are working and set up. One of our favorite pass times is shootin ducks and geese in the tall cottonwoods. It is pass shooting but kind of neat when a goose crashes through the branches.
We have lots of wheat fields and some corn near the river and always have plenty of shooting.
Head Down and Keep Swinging
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:18 pm

tornadochaser wrote:
MJO21 wrote:I mostly hunt the Missouri River. I am interested in hunting many of the fields in that area but I a concerned about visibility.

Just scout and see what fields the ducks are feeding in...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

We hunt the river by Great Falls MT, we pattern and scout the birds to figure out what part of the river they roost on and what fields they will fly over but most importantly, feed in.

Quackhead Lanyard Prostaff
Takeem406
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:17 pm

One of the few threads I've found where nearly everybody posting knew what they were talking about!
Kudos everybody!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting