Duck Hunting Forum banner

Too much recoil?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rebelcj7 
#1 ·
If you find yourself with your daughter or your sun saying... dad/mom that kicked to hard. Or notice the signs of flinching then do your best to find a lighter recoiling shell. My daughter, 9, recently started hunting. I noticed when shooting her 20 gauge with regular 3" loads that she was flinching and pulling off target causing her to miss, which in turn frustrated her. I turned to Hevi Shot Classic Doubles, started with some 2 3/4" loads and noticeably better, tried a box of 3" and still just fine. She started hitting her targets and not flinching. Add in the hard hitting of the hevi shot pellets and its a win...win...win.

#3 ·
LOL just an advertisement for hevi-shot by a pro staffer. Hevi-shot sales must be down in this economy, now they are going for the youth.

Any of the steel 2.75" 20 gauge loads will have very little kick. If they cant handle that then they need a gun with less recoil or drop to a smaller gauge. Spending $4 a shell is not the magic answer.

#4 ·
Another thing to watch out for with Kids is make sure the gun fits. Lots of times I have found the gun to be too short so that the gun mount is poor. Lengthining the stock even an 1/8th of an inch can make a difference in felt recoil. I have taught lots of kids to shoot trap and skeet and it is usually the problem.
Wayne

#5 ·
Force Fetch said:
Another thing to watch out for with Kids is make sure the gun fits. Lots of times I have found the gun to be too short so that the gun mount is poor. Lengthining the stock even an 1/8th of an inch can make a difference in felt recoil. I have taught lots of kids to shoot trap and skeet and it is usually the problem.
Wayne
You bet proper fit is a HUGE part of it without a doubt.

To the previous replies, it is a win win win... when my daughter can only get away for about 15 hunts a season I want her to have the BEST and so far on the few hunts shes been on. The gun/shell is working flawless.

:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.