How do I hit a teal?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: How do I hit a teal?

Postby KRB » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Your probably behind them. Focus on its head and don't measure lead. Let it happen
KRB
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:33 pm

You could try hitting them with a baseball bat, just remember 3 strikes and you are out. Just had to add a bit of humor, sorry
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Also don't over lead them. Teal actually fly slower than almost every other duck out there but they look like they are going a lot faster than they actually are because they are so small. Go with some #4 shot and maybe open up on the choke a little and you should be wackin' and stackin'.

Speed Record - The fastest duck ever recorded was a red-breasted merganser that attained a top airspeed of 100 mph while being pursued by an airplane. This eclipsed the previous speed record held by a canvasback clocked at 72 mph. Blue-winged and green-winged teal, thought by many hunters to be the fastest ducks, are actually among the slowest, having a typically flight speed of only 30 mph.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby Dirtybird33 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm

just put the bead a barrel size left or right of the head if they are flying full steam to the left or the right. if they are flying straight at you and are more above you put the bead right on there head. otherwise just get some practice in setup up your thrower to fly left to right and then change to right to left. this should help you. :hi:
Dirtybird33
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:17 pm

i read on a DU article that teal are actually among the slowest flying ducks, around 30 mph. you wouldn't know it while looking at them though!! they sure can move.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Don't let em fool ya. Their actually one of the slowest ducks.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:07 pm

One the slowest MIGRATORS. When they put the afterburners on they are stupid fast. I get one or two shots off at a flock in the decoys. I can get three off on mallards wasy... sometimes 4 if I'm quick with the reload. You can't tell me teal are slow.
BBK
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Straight from DU website: Speed Record - The fastest duck ever recorded was a red-breasted merganser that attained a top airspeed of 100 mph while being pursued by an airplane. This eclipsed the previous speed record held by a canvasback clocked at 72 mph. Blue-winged and green-winged teal, thought by many hunters to be the fastest ducks, are actually among the slowest, having a typically flight speed of only 30 mph.

Even though their quick and will chnge directions on a dime...their not the THAT fast...I've never had troble hittin em. I had a flock of 6 come in at 20 yds the other day. full choke. 3 shots 3 birds.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:41 pm

blackjacks wrote:Straight from DU website: Speed Record - The fastest duck ever recorded was a red-breasted merganser that attained a top airspeed of 100 mph while being pursued by an airplane. This eclipsed the previous speed record held by a canvasback clocked at 72 mph. Blue-winged and green-winged teal, thought by many hunters to be the fastest ducks, are actually among the slowest, having a typically flight speed of only 30 mph.

Even though their quick and will chnge directions on a dime...their not the THAT fast...I've never had troble hittin em. I had a flock of 6 come in at 20 yds the other day. full choke. 3 shots 3 birds.

DU also claimed on their website two years ago that Canada geese grow to 20lbs.

Sure you want to be quoting "facts" from them?
BBK
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:11 pm

I've seen a 20 pound Canada. My friend got it and he decided to put it on a scale cause it was the biggest he'd seen. Just over 20 pounds.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Must have been a tundra that flew past a guy painting his car black, got a little over-spray :lol3:
BBK
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Hmmm...ya that makes sense...don't know why i didn't figure that one out.. :rolleyes:
blackjacks
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:32 pm

It was a joke :thumbsup:
BBK
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:33 pm

No I gotcha man. I laughed a little.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby vlb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Let them land , then ground swat them.
vlb
hunter

Postby NyDuckMan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Teal appear to move faster than they actually are moving, due to their size.
This year is my first time experiencing the flighty gw teal, and i found just like all other duck hunting, just pick your target and shoot, if you're aim is true you'll hit 'em.
Definitely go out and shoot some sporting clays that'll help hone your reaction time, muscle memory, and gun swing, as for lead, that's totally dependent on how far they are from you. If they're 10 - 15 yards out, just put your bead on the tip of their beak,and follow through on your swing, don't stop moving your gun after you fire. I find most hunters (including myself) that miss passing or flighty birds are either pulling their cheek off the comb, or simply not following through. 20 - 30 yards 2 - 4ft lead, once again follow through, cheek on the comb. You should be hitting them down no problem if you just follow those fundamentals.
I just switched from using #4's to 2's just for knockdown power and they can carry velocity longer distances. I've taken down 2 teal @ 10 - 20yds and they were not shot up by any means, one i actually roasted like a cornish hen.
**2013 - 2014**
3 - Canada Goose
2 - Mallards
2 - Teal (green winged)
2 - Woodies
NyDuckMan
hunter

Postby ReelNutts8~ » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:03 pm

You have to keep you're eyes peeled and be ready to shoot at their *** because they are quick.
I Love it when I buy a bag of air and the company is nice enough to put some chips in it.

Caution: This machine has no brain, use your own
ReelNutts8~
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:09 pm

blackjacks wrote:Straight from DU website: Speed Record - The fastest duck ever recorded was a red-breasted merganser that attained a top airspeed of 100 mph while being pursued by an airplane. This eclipsed the previous speed record held by a canvasback clocked at 72 mph. Blue-winged and green-winged teal, thought by many hunters to be the fastest ducks, are actually among the slowest, having a typically flight speed of only 30 mph.

Mention "teal" and someone's going to drag that out. But such trivia is lost on a fellow like me who's accustomed to seeing cans cross the decoys more like blimps than jets and far, far fewer whiffed shots per kill on them than on teal.

(But it's not at all surprising to learn that someone who never had trouble hitting teal has a friend who shot a 20 pound goose.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:12 pm

ReelNutts8~ wrote:You have to keep you're eyes peeled and be ready to shoot at their *** because they are quick.

You're going about it all wrong.

On one of his first hunts with us years ago, we got burned by a low flying teal and a gentleman from Alabama jumped up and leveled his gun in the direction it had come from. "Get ready, boys," he declared. "The world's round."
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Rick Hall wrote:

Mention "teal" and someone's going to drag that out. But such trivia is lost on a fellow like me who's accustomed to seeing cans cross the decoys more like blimps than jets and far, far fewer whiffed shots per kill on them than on teal.

(But it's not at all surprising to learn that someone who never had trouble hitting teal has a friend who shot a 20 pound goose.)

Sounds a bit like I'm being called a liar..thats too bad. Well thats all good. Go on and believe what you want, but just lettin you know..I got no reason to be lyin to anybody right now. :fingerpt: One little tip that'l help ya hit some birds..hit up your sporting clays range..kinda nice how them clays are the same size as a teal :wink:
blackjacks
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:32 am

Just "keepin' it real". Teal are a hoot.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:25 am

Haha yes they are
blackjacks
hunter

Postby TheConservationOfficer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:50 am

Shoot SMALL clay pigeons more often, and try shooting #5's. I shoot blind sides and I love them. The increased number of pellets is a plus!
I am not actually a conservation officer...
TheConservationOfficer
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:23 am

Out where I hunt we could get everything from g/bwt to mallards to bluebills to geese and every species in between. My groups record is 10 different species in one hunt. Therefore I always shoot 3in 2's. Keep your head down, swing and follow through shooting teal is the same form and mechanics as any other duck for the shot they give you. They are small and agile do any flaws in your form/mechanics will more easily result in a missed shot

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:42 am

sometimes i like to use a shovel... other times, i just use a hammer..

teal are slow, even though they look fast.. your either shooting out in front of em, or your shooting at em too far..

let someone else take the first shot, and when they star burst, and go up, take your time and make em rain..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting