Mechanical Broadheads

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Mechanical Broadheads

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Alright so here I go.

First got into bow hunting about 5-6 years ago. First broad heads were Rage and I killed 5 deer with them. My concern was the weakness of the blades and deploying in my quiver (More of an annoyance). Last year, I decided to switch to the G5 T3's. I shot a 6 pointer at about 11 yards. I admit, the shot was about 1" higher than I would have liked, at a 20 ft. height shooting downward. Still should have hit vitals. Tracked him for 100 yards, very minimal blood even though the arrow was covered with really good blood. That brings me to this year. I am thinking of switching back to the Rage but going with the Hypodermic's. I have been on Youtube, review sites, archery talk, etc. Can anyone on here testify for them? In my opinion, the Rage's have a huge wound channel and the G5's did not. I am not looking for other recommendations on broad heads other than personal experience with the Rage's.

Thanks for your help.
scruggs12
hunter

Re: Mechanical Broadheads

Postby semohunter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:27 am

i have shot the new rages your talking about, and the g5s, im not a fan with either of them with my set up they didnt fly good and i felt that the rages were far to...flimsy(for lack of a better word)...personally i suggest that you go with the N.A.P. blood runners. i shoot the 2 blade and 3 blades just depending on the area im hunting in....huge cut, great blood trail, work as fixed blades just incase something goes wrong and they dont deploy(which ive never had happen) and they have true field point accuracy out of my set up as advertised. Blades also seem to stay pretty sharp even after killing a deer. they didnt seem to dull as dramatically as some of the other broad heads ive use .I highly reccomend the N.A.P. blood runners
semohunter
hunter

Postby callncut » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:23 am

I switched to the hyperdermics this year and so far I like them. I shot this bear at 13yds and he only ran 10yds( lung and heart shot). That is the entrance you see.

callncut
Super Moderator

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:19 am

Wow Callncut, that is crazy. Thanks for your help.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby callncut » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:33 am

Not a problem Scruggs!
callncut
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Deadly on 60 pound bears. :lol3:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby callncut » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:18 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Deadly on 60 pound bears. :lol3:

:lol: 125lbs man lol! First bear I've ever killed , ill shop around on the next one! He ate damn good though :biggrin:
callncut
Super Moderator

Postby clymerfowler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:54 pm

i shoot, love, and swear by NAP Spitfires. shot the originals and now shoot the max 1 1/3 cutting diameter and cut on contact.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:43 am

clymerfowler wrote:i shoot, love, and swear by NAP Spitfires. shot the originals and now shoot the max 1 1/3 cutting diameter and cut on contact.

Thanks Clymer. Beautiful area you live in. Wife and I got married at the Peak n Peek.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Jasonmaure » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:44 am

Call me old fashion but I am a tried and true thunderhead lover! Just takes a bit of arrow tuning to get the fixed blades to tune but if you know how they never let me down! Shatter bone and keep going thru never had a broken blade yet either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasonmaure
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:35 pm

Ive finally found a expandable that I love, and now Im moving to Idaho and cant use them. Dammit!!!!! I hated expandables, hence my username. Lol. Then I found the EPEK XC3. Ive 4 for 4 with them. 3 elk including a 332 bull and a deer. Not one of the elk went 100 yards
fixed blade
hunter

Postby Big Perm2 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:34 pm

If you haven't tried swacker heads give them a try!!

Big Perm2
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:00 am

I personally had wicked results with the T3's on two last year and they are already in my quiver for this year. Both deer were excellent blood trails. You even said in your above post the shot wasn't perfect, so how is that the heads fault...?
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Jasonmaure wrote:Call me old fashion but I am a tried and true thunderhead lover! Just takes a bit of arrow tuning to get the fixed blades to tune but if you know how they never let me down! Shatter bone and keep going thru never had a broken blade yet either

i shoot NAP thunderheads as well they fly great from my bow setup
thomashamm2
hunter

Return to Archery