Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 am

Is there a product like this for duck blinds? If not, why doesn't it work?

I've never thought about doing this, and my FIL just mentioned it. I don't see why it wouldn't work on the bottoms of a fixed blind.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas


Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby IdahoSkies » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:07 pm

I don't think it would work very well with water, due to the glare, and it doesn't conceal from above. Two important things for waterfowl hunting.
IdahoSkies
hunter
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:58 pm
Location: SW Idaho

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby bamahuntnfool » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:46 pm

IdahoSkies wrote:I don't think it would work very well with water, due to the glare, and it doesn't conceal from above. Two important things for waterfowl hunting.


x2
bamahuntnfool
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 pm

There is a thread somewhere on dhc where a kid made a blind for 1 person out of polished aluminum I believe. Had pictures and looked good. Was using it in fields to hunt geese
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9281
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:38 am

whistlin_wings wrote:There is a thread somewhere on dhc where a kid made a blind for 1 person out of polished aluminum I believe. Had pictures and looked good. Was using it in fields to hunt geese


They are putting the blind in, and supposedly ordered some of this material. I haven't talked to him in a few. If he did, I'll make sure I put up some pics and let you everyone know how it works.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:35 am

You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9281
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:20 am

whistlin_wings wrote:Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=123151&hilit=mirror



Ya except this will be an actual blind (draw on Lake Erie) - I don't believe you are allowed to use brush at all. I'm waiting on the park to email me the regs. I've been a third party to this but trying to do some research before I waste time hunting a blind that's gonna flare all the birds.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 am

OmegaRed wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=123151&hilit=mirror



Ya except this will be an actual blind (draw on Lake Erie) - I don't believe you are allowed to use brush at all. I'm waiting on the park to email me the regs. I've been a third party to this but trying to do some research before I waste time hunting a blind that's gonna flare all the birds.

Why not just rig up burlap to make it look like a sand bar or island in the middle
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby petrotk40 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

The mirror thing seems silly for bird hunting. What does it look like from the air? that's the key.
User avatar
petrotk40
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:04 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:23 am

MarkM wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=123151&hilit=mirror



Ya except this will be an actual blind (draw on Lake Erie) - I don't believe you are allowed to use brush at all. I'm waiting on the park to email me the regs. I've been a third party to this but trying to do some research before I waste time hunting a blind that's gonna flare all the birds.

Why not just rig up burlap to make it look like a sand bar or island in the middle


I don't disagree. Like I said, I'm not the captain on this project. I was just looking for some verification that it does / does not work before we are the test dummies.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 am

ive seen people on here make them for coyote. I forgot the material but basically its a mirror so it blends in perfectly. THe only problem i could imagine with duck and geese would be that the sun would reflect off the material and the birds would flare. Also depending on where you hunt there really wouldnt be a lot of cover to blend into, for example a pothole....its just kinda open.
thomashamm2
hunter
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 am

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 am

They ended up not doing it, so nothing to report back. Thanks for the input everyone
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:10 pm

OmegaRed wrote:They ended up not doing it, so nothing to report back. Thanks for the input everyone

This is the most disappointing thing on the DIY forum aside from the DIY forum
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9281
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:28 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:They ended up not doing it, so nothing to report back. Thanks for the input everyone

This is the most disappointing thing on the DIY forum aside from the DIY forum


lulz i failed you!!
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby Gj325 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:28 pm

You just have me a ideal I use ACM materials in my business. I have made deer blinds out of mirror ACM. What I did was built it on. Slope out so it reflects the ground cover. It's a very rigid material so I may try to make a sit in for a field pit. Material comes in 10'x 4' so I can make a approx 46" a ten ft blind make flip top use grass cover material

I have small ones I have made for deer turkey hunting. Nothing alarms from these have had deer get with in three feet. Don't think birds will see glare since they would have to be almost on ground before glare. Just slope it out. I have photos but when I try to load says pic to large how do shrink pic files on iPhone.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby Gj325 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:48 pm

[url][URL=http://s757.photobucket.com/user/Gj325/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3a2cad23.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][[URL=http://s757.photobucket.com/user/Gj325/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9600f8b3.jpg.html]Image[/url]/url]

Here is carry blind one pic in Texas one in Ky. Can you find blind in Ky??
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:50 pm

I'll try and explain why it won't work.
First when it does. ..
I saw what he is talking about...
The sheets of "mirror" are angled towards the ground so that a yote or deer sees the reflection of the grass and dirt...
It works.

Now in a waterfowl situation you'd do the opposite and angle the mirrors upwards and hide in a box of mirrors.
Incoming ducks would see sky reflections and flare. I think it won't work on ducks. That's an opinion. Take it or leave it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby Gj325 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:58 pm

aunt betty wrote:I'll try and explain why it won't work.
First when it does. ..
I saw what he is talking about...
The sheets of "mirror" are angled towards the ground so that a yote or deer sees the reflection of the grass and dirt...
It works.

Now in a waterfowl situation you'd do the opposite and angle the mirrors upwards and hide in a box of mirrors.
Incoming ducks would see sky reflections and flare. I think it won't work on ducks. That's an opinion. Take it or leave it.



I really agree with you. Because if it did work then ghostblinds would be pushing it. I actually own a few boom type lifts that go 68' in height. I will take a piece of the material angle down to ground go up and take a photo just to see what the ducks will actually see. It's too bad it won't work it would make a field blind a shoe in. The material I have is laminated to a plastic solid core so there is a perfect flat surface. I have a sit in bow blind that's approx 7' tall 5' sq at bottom 7' sq at top. Had to Camo paint everything above 48" tall to keep deer from seeing there reflection. Deer have never paid attention to it But Cardinals Bluebirds will attack the blind fighting their reflection. It's almost unfair to hunt turkeys in the blind they pay no attention. Just sit decoy out ten yards and they will put on a show.

It wouldn't be cost effective the material cost 350 for a 4'x10' sheet. But sure looks good to human eye.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby jcz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Why do you need to have the blind angled out? Just set it straight. The birds will fly over head and see the reflection of the ground. You will need a roof of some sort.
jcz
hunter
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:16 am
Location: pinetops NC

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby Gj325 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:52 pm

jcz wrote:Why do you need to have the blind angled out? Just set it straight. The birds will fly over head and see the reflection of the ground. You will need a roof of some sort.



My thinking was if you angle out as you do in deer turkey hunting. That the ducks would see the only the ground reflection. But Aunt Betty make a point I hadn't thought of that from above the ducks will not see ground I am going to test from a lift and let you know what I find. If I can find a angle that I think will work I will give it a run. I have three sheets left over from a job. So no cost to try. I was going to build approx 46" tall but then build a flat top out of alum tubing. Have tubing powder coated tan make flip doors for hunters but rest of top would be solid so I can Camo entire top in a good Camo. Thought about putting few full sized decoys on top like they were resting. Few just in front of blind.

If could get mirrors to work it would be awesome set up.

If it doesn't will build same blind with same type material on three sides will build dirt up at a sloping angle plant in wheat keep just off rice field make it look like a dirt mount may even beef up roof to allow for a 2" dirt pans with flip tops and even plant wheat on roof. Or just cover with dead grass to blend in real nice.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby Gj325 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:23 pm

We'll did the test today took large pc out put it a various angles. It will work for ground critters like deer turkey but ducks will never see Camo all you see is a funny looking mirror No Camo. So as AB said its useless for ducks
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Three years ago I purchased $600 worth of mirrored acrylic plastic, 1/4" thick and made a blind. It is three feet square and four feet tall. It weighs about 130 pounds. I used it once. The ducks would not come near it. As I walked to the blind, after setting it up and hiding the boat, I looked at it and thought "it might work, but I'm not optimistic".

The pintails and shovelers could come in high, headed right for the spot (they were using the spot heavily as I came in), but at about 60 yards up, would flair and go elsewhere....never got a shot.
I've never tried to use it since. From the ground they look like the perfect solution. From the air, I guess, they just look alarming.

I'll sell that blind, with fleece bags, for $200...........
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Ghost blind - reflective duck blind

Postby FOWLER2673 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:31 pm

You can make a mirror blind work in open water where you are trying to either look like an island with a regular blind or trying to look like water with the reflective materiel
FOWLER2673
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:37 pm


Return to Do It Yourself Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest