Lets talk Public hunting shall we....

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Lets talk Public hunting shall we....

Postby Mort » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Ok fellas,
With this season FINALLY here this Saturday, lets talk a little about Public hunting.

There are quite a few of us hunters around the state that mostly hunt public sloughs and lakes that have public access. We've all had great hunts and hunts that almost started with pissing match with a guy at o dark thirty in a parking lot!

What are some of the Do's and Don'ts that do with Public hunting. Not laws, just common courtesy so everyone can have a good day out. Let's here some opinions on what you think is important.

I'll start..

DO... get to the slough early, no one likes a group setting up 30 mins after shooting hours. If you show up 2nd to the parking lot. Confront the other party and ask where there going to be, they were there first. You get 2nd choice. Right?

DON'T ... Set up 50-60 yards in any direction of another party, there's other spots.

Lets hear your thoughts
Mort
hunter

Re: Lets talk Public hunting shall we....

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Excellent topic, please, if you hunt public water with a boat ramp practice backing a boat up in the dark before opening day. Do not back your boat up to the water, then put your waders on and load decoys into your boat. I've seen that done many times. Please keep your dog on a leash, especially if the dog likes to fight. Please do not go up to folks ahead of you and tell them to stay away from "your" spot. I grew up hunting marsh lake, back in the day there were 15 or more boats waiting for the 5 o'clock start, I've seen it all, including fistfights. The most important thing, IMO, just be decent to others. Good luck everyone!
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Excellent points. One that comes to mind is if a flock of birds is obviously working someone else quit calling.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Quit calling, that's a very good one. Some folks tend to highball away when ducks are locked up on someone else. There is a way to have fun with that tendency, next time your on a crowded spot and there's nothing flying try honking on your goose call a while, its hilarious to listen to other guys start calling when there's nothing there.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby goldfish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:44 pm

StuStiltman wrote:Quit calling, that's a very good one. Some folks tend to highball away when ducks are locked up on someone else. There is a way to have fun with that tendency, next time your on a crowded spot and there's nothing flying try honking on your goose call a while, its hilarious to listen to other guys start calling when there's nothing there.

Lol, been there, done that. Cracks me up.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:50 pm

I really don't like hunting around other groups, so if I see another group I usually move on unless its a really big spot. If its just me, however, I'll ask they wanna set up together instead of fighting over birds. Most of the time people decline, but I've met some cool people hunting with strangers. Met some turds too, but thats life.

I usually just get to places super early and get my favorite spot, and hope nobody tries to horn in.

I wish the vikings would do a little better to give people an excuse no to hunt on sundays.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:51 am

This one is more of a annoyance, but public hunting areas are no place for untrained dogs. If your dog doesn't make a correction within three whistle blast he sure isn't going to do it by the thirtieth one in a row. and I shouldn't know the name of another groups dog by heart by the end of the morning.
olt d2
hunter

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 am

the thing that makes me the most mad is when a couple guys pass me and im already set up and they start cruisin in infront of me back and forth and then they set up directly in front of me. Do they have a death wish or something or are people just that ignorant and stupid?
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 am

Most have hit on what annoys our group the most.

Have your stuff ready before attempting to back your boat in the water, decoys, guns, dog, food, calls, waders, hunters.

Unhook your boat straps before you back down the ramp.

Its called the Off season for a reason, that is the time to train you dog, research spots, and figure out how to blow that object you have in your hand called a duck/goose call not a recorder from middle school.

But most importantly let's not leave the bar at two am,
Head to the local launch piss drunk, block the ramp with your truck, boat, trailer and 3 buddies passed out along with you and your dog.

It just looks suspicious like a new movie remake "broke back boat launch"

After that morning,

I refused to hunt in the metro unless it was horrible weather, blowing rain or snow and the folks who are the new duck commanders because they thought it looked fun on TV stayed in bed because ducks don't fly in bad weather.

Pack an extra bag in the boat full of warm, dry clothes and cheap waders in case one of you fall in. That way your group does not have to all take a boat ride back to the truck at 7am to drop your cold and wet buddy off.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:04 am

One that drives me nuts is a little later in the season when I go to a spot and its just filled with empty shell casings and food wrappers. pick up your sh*t before you leave. people like that are part of what gives hunters bad reputations in the public eye. it only should take 2 mins to pick up what you brought.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby MitchMN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:57 am

Agreed!!! pick up your stuff! The one that gets me the most is people that come out late and drive around until past shooting hours looking for a spot! If you want to hunt don't hit the snooze button!
Where are all the ducks at?
MitchMN
hunter

Postby iFAIL » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:00 am

I totally agreed. I hate it when we set up and another group thinks it's ok to setup 30 yards away. Happen to much and i'm getting sick of it. People, if there's people at the spot just go to another. If you want it go early. Don't come and setup 30-40 yards away. You SHOULD have at lease 4 spots to go to if your spot is taken. At lease i have at lease 4 spots to go to. :yes:
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:15 am

Hey Olt d2 - I've always believed that us hunters all choose the same identical name for our dogs...it's "Dammit". :wink: Keep your powder dry....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Feathers » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:50 am

Don't skybust. Which means don't shoot past 40 yards. Personally I rarely shoot past 30 yards. If you can't get em close you don't deserve em. Skybusting hurts everyones hunting including the skybusters.

Don't downwind someone or set up within a 100 yards of another group, 200-300 yards if it is a big area.

Don't sit out in the middle of a wild rice paddy unless you have a layout boat.

Don't call so much. Chances are you're not that good.

If you want a spot get there first. You don't own a spot just because you have been hunting there for 20 years.

If everyone followed these simple rules I think hunting public land would actually be tolerable.
Feathers
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:29 am

Great topic!

Here's a public hunting etiquette question for you all.....if someone is launching right before you and it's obvious that you can outrun them on the water, is it a D*ck move to launch after they're out of the way, and zip by them on the open water if possible? It is a competition out there, and I've been on both ends of that situation and was wondering what other guys think of it.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:38 am

MNjonboatguy wrote:Great topic!

Here's a public hunting etiquette question for you all.....if someone is launching right before you and it's obvious that you can outrun them on the water, is it a D*ck move to launch after they're out of the way, and zip by them on the open water if possible? It is a competition out there, and I've been on both ends of that situation and was wondering what other guys think of it.

I would say yes. A simple chat with the guy would alleviate this...if he is a **** to you for asking, out run him.... :yes:

Most people I have run into are pretty decent at the launch, and realize if someone got to the landing first, they get the choice of spots....

I had this happen last year...got to the launch...we were the second rig there. Boat 1 was just leaving, and based on the size of the lake, we could see where he was going...not a problem. Rig 3 shows up, as I am backing the boat in...he has a canoe. I get the boat launched, and we were loading up...while I am doing this, the guy throws his canoe and gear into the water and starts paddling as fast has he can, gets to the middle of the lake in the direction of where we were planning on setting up. I start the motor and drive past him and got the spot we wanted, he kind of quit paddling and threw his arms up, but there was no way he was going to beat us out there, and we were the next rig in line...so I didn't feel at all bad for doing that...had the guy walked over and talked with us, we would have likely let him hunt with us, as I had the room in my boat...or we could have told him where we were going, and he could have saved himself a little sweat...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby MitchMN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 am

I would only say that is a d$ck move if you talked to the person before they launched and they told you where they were going. If they are already on the water and there was no discussion before you leave i'd say first come first serve. Its happened to me when I was paddling out in my sneak boat.
Where are all the ducks at?
MitchMN
hunter

Postby goldfish » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:01 am

Or it's a d move if you are going back into a bay with a little motor on your boat, that you have to go slow with because of shallow/stumps/vegetation and mr mud motor goes past you full speed to beat you. Open lake, I say it's fair game but be aware of your waves. Boats are usually loaded down pretty good for hunting.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby xrated » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:02 am

Don't sky bust. Definitly don't sky bust when someone in the better spot and who worked the birds is getting them and you aren't.

Get to the spots early and don't be mad when those of us who spent 2 hours napping in the boat are in the spot you thought you'd get showing up 30 minutes before shooting.

Respect the locals.

Those issues all made it very easy for me to walk away from duck hunting 6 years ago when I started my family. Why spend 2 months waking up at 3 or 4 am every weekend to have my hunts ruined by idiotic behavior? Hoping not to see these issues come tomorrow morning when we make our return.

And control you dog. As mentioned we don't need to know the dogs name from across the bay.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:48 am

Look at google earth before you decide you need the f'n duck boat. Had a guy last MN opener...comes push poling up to our spread and goes "wow you must have camped here all night to beat me, i've been pushing for an hour to get here and never saw another boat." I said "no we parked at the south approach about 20 minutes ago and walked the 65 yards to this spot." Derp.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:14 am

Don't let your dog hump mine. Or my leg. Hate that!
MinneKans
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:57 am

xrated stated......"Respect the locals"... Bingo . Also remember, laws pertain in rural Mn. as well and what goes on "Up North", doesn't stay up north. Thanks for bringing this out ....mauser :thumbsup:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:23 pm

as others pointed out my biggest ones involve respecting other guys on the land. Sky busting, piggy baking off others( setting up down wind and pass shooting birds headed for another spread) hammering on your call when birds are working someone else's spread. idk theres def more but the biggest thing, don't do something if it would upset you if you were on the other end of it.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Have had all that happen to us got to landing early just pushin off another rig rolls up dumps boat and half way across lake the blow past us right to where we were headed spent next 30. Min lookin for another spot couldn't find one loaded boat drove 40 min to another lake. Got set up 15 after shooting time..felt like big assed since there was 3 other boats out and we had to drive past 2 of them...well we had 9 ducks down before another group even shot and had three man limit by 830. A week later went back to that lake have way threw channel we get passd by 2 muddmotors get out to lake and they're sitting exactly where we were. So we back tracket a little and sat where they did the previous week. We had 12 ducks before they even fired a shot and then we shot another 3 man limit before they even fired 5 shots. Sometimes its not always about who gets there first
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Theres another lake we like to hunt but you have to be there way early because one group drops there boat and waits in there truck ubtil last minute to head out or untill another rig shows up. Well after about 7 days of that crap we caught on so we went to the other landing dropd the boat and used the trollin motor half way across lake and then fired up the big motor they tryd to get outa there truck and hop in boat and beat us there but we they got around the corner we just wavied at them.
hillbilly..
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting