Lets talk Public hunting shall we....

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: Lets talk Public hunting shall we....

Postby Labs » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:34 am

Well, we got totally screwed on Saturday. Got out to our spot at midnight...slept in the blind, made breakfast....we were set up on an island....rig one goes down the north side of the island and sets up about 75 yds down from us...rig 2 and 3 come in on the south side of the island and set up 70 yds down....birds come past the island from the west....they sky busted just about every bird that was headed our way...pretty sure I'm done hunting teal and woodies on opening weekend...oh, and the bass fishermen trolling by my spread 60 yds out was awesome too....effin jerks...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:27 am

My personal tips/thoughts for hunting public spots in MN:

A)hunt points/islands etc where you can't get downwinded;
B) if you hunt public on opener expect a clown show unless you're 2 hours from the Metro or on a small enough pond where only one group can hunt
C) hunt during the week, mid season or after pheasant opener . . . pressure is much less and by the end you really don't have to get up at 2 Am to get the best spots
b) hunt big enough places where there is room for multiple rigs
e) have a plan a,b,c,d,e,f if there are other groups
f) if you do hunt public on opener shoot what you can, no shame in a limit of teal/woodies
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby recker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:30 pm

I agree with all of these points. I hunted saturday and picked a smaller spot away from the bigger marshes. Sure its probably not as bood but I didnt have to show up until 545 and I got to sleep( hate being around crowds). I am just not one to sit in a blind allnight to reserve a spot . I like my sleep too much in a nice bed!

If you have to get a spot at midnight more then likely it is good and somebody is going to come and setup on you the next day(probably a very high probability of this). Thats just a fact so expect it or dont even bother with that spot. Alot of people who hunt the first day are not on sites like this and maybe only hunt one or two days a year. They dont really have any ethics for waterfowl hunting or really understand how it works. The best solution is to go during the week or wait a few weeks. I usually hunt afternoons later on and rarely see any other hunters.

Full Force Five wrote:My personal tips/thoughts for hunting public spots in MN:

A)hunt points/islands etc where you can't get downwinded;
B) if you hunt public on opener expect a clown show unless you're 2 hours from the Metro or on a small enough pond where only one group can hunt
C) hunt during the week, mid season or after pheasant opener . . . pressure is much less and by the end you really don't have to get up at 2 Am to get the best spots
b) hunt big enough places where there is room for multiple rigs
e) have a plan a,b,c,d,e,f if there are other groups
f) if you do hunt public on opener shoot what you can, no shame in a limit of teal/woodies
recker
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 pm

ive only did acouple evening hunts and never really do any good.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby firefighter4231 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:27 am

I am so sick of people showing up 30mins before shooting time trying to get to your spot that you have been at for an hour! Then since you are in "their" spot they set up 30 yards away and think nothing of it! I love this sport I love hunting ducks but I hate hate hate when people are rude like that. I am currently sitting in my blind hoping that today's hunt doesn't get F'd up because someone was late to show up!!! Find a different spot if you show up late!!
firefighter4231
hunter

Postby goldfish » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:32 am

But if they'd move, you would be complaining about them running around while the birds are flying. If they just got there late, and it was the only option to get set in and not causing a ruckus and they are respectful and mindful, I don't see a problem. I've had to do that before.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:11 am

Okay so what do you guys consider proper etiquette when it comes to picking up dead birds? Espeically when they may be floating around into other peoples decoys. Like when you're on a big pond or lake and your duck is floating away, possibly a very long way away, do you let them float away and get them at the end all at once or do you pick them up before they get too far out.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby kbooger » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:22 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:Okay so what do you guys consider proper etiquette when it comes to picking up dead birds? Espeically when they may be floating around into other peoples decoys. Like when you're on a big pond or lake and your duck is floating away, possibly a very long way away, do you let them float away and get them at the end all at once or do you pick them up before they get too far out.

I just let other groups pick them up for me :biggrin:

Kidding I'd probably get out there when they are about 60-70 yards out or before if there is a break in the action. Hopefully other groups are about 100 yards away or more, at that point you should've picked them up by now.
kbooger
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:38 pm

Yah I was thinking the same thing. I just hate getting my canoe all brushed in and then having to take it out to go get birds if i can wait a while.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:33 am

I usually pick them up as soon as possible, but I'm usually able to walk out and get them without busting the boat out so far or else I'm in my kayak which the blind stays on it. If I'm out there and I see birds coming I'll freeze and let the other groups work them.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby jrp267 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Going across a lake faster than someone and getting the spot is called winning. If you were at the launch and didn't leave until someone else shows up I would say you were foolish. And make sure your boat is big enough to safely handle the load. I don't consider it my issue that you decided to put 3 200 lb guys and a dog in a 12 ft boat. I mean really it's not everyone else's fault you choose to disregard all that is common in the sense department.
jrp267
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Legally you have to retrieve them as soon as possible. now if you have a group still working after you drop them I (and everyone I know) will keep working them in but if you drop them and don't have birds working, you should get out there if other groups are around. you never know which group has "that guy" that would call something like that in. if your on your own and away from other hunters, then I wait for a break in action. birds tits up right outside your decoys never helps, but it cant be worse than a guy or a boat out there.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:32 am

This weekend the southern part reopened amd I asked the crew wat time we wanta get to lake they said 430 I said are u sure that's early enough id be willing to go earlier to hold spot naw should be good ok we show up and there's already 5 rigs there. We launch first boat and since water way not big enough they take off I back mine in and have the boy hold the boat while I parkd and the next rig was waitin to drop there's. While passing them 2 of the said good luck so I said it back. Which I thought was perty nice jester. Well on way out I got wrapd up and cleand prop off well I could hear they weren't far behind me so I stayed so they could pass since the had mud motor and I knew id get stuck a couple more times. And they askd if I was ok I said yep just lettin ya pass. Which then askin was kind also. Finaly I make to open water and open her up get to my buddys and we finda spot. Well shootin time startd about 5 min early and the lake just exploded with gun fire and ducks. Well as it got lighter we could see thta 2 crews had set up less then 100yrds from us on either side and they were sky bustin at every thing I've never seen it so bad. Well we still mange to get 12. Day 2 I get stuck again and a mud motor be hind so I wait to let pass 3 little punks pass and don't even nod waive or anything. These were the the ski busters from sat and one of the groups that sat down from us well suday they were beat to the spot they wantd and they sat down 50yrds from the guys that passd me sat. Nd they procced to skibust sunday as well.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby kbooger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:36 am

^ thats worse than any metro hunt I've had. Course I usually end up with zero ducks.

But I did have a group last year a couple times shooting at geese 80 yards in the air, I could see them standing on the sand bar. When I came in past them I wish I would've said something. Not overly rude but something like "you aren't going to hit those geese that far away, and you scare them completely off the lake for anyone else". Wonder how that woulda went over.
kbooger
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:01 am

kbooger wrote:Wonder how that woulda went over.

Usually blank stares and not saying anything

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby GMag10 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Picking up birds as you shoot them...

Pick them up right away. That is what a dog or a pair of waders is for.

Personally, I do not shoot again until the dog as the harvest duck in her mouth or I have walked out and retrieved the bird if for some reason the dog is not with.

Just another way that people have made this a game of #'s, in my opinion.
GMag10
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 pm

jrp267 wrote:Going across a lake faster than someone and getting the spot is called winning. If you were at the launch and didn't leave until someone else shows up I would say you were foolish. And make sure your boat is big enough to safely handle the load. I don't consider it my issue that you decided to put 3 200 lb guys and a dog in a 12 ft boat. I mean really it's not everyone else's fault you choose to disregard all that is common in the sense department.

Same can be said for the guy with a 115 hp on his 18 ft jon boat, because he thinks he has to win...or is compensating for something... :wink:
Labs
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:33 pm

GMag10 wrote:Picking up birds as you shoot them...

Personally, I do not shoot again until the dog as the harvest duck in her mouth or I have walked out and retrieved the bird if for some reason the dog is not with.

Just another way that people have made this a game of #'s, in my opinion.

All I will say at this time is we don't share the same personal constitution.
beretta24
State Moderator

Lets talk Public hunting shall we....

Postby MitchMN » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:52 pm

beretta24 wrote:

Personally, I do not shoot again until the dog as the harvest duck in her mouth or I have walked out and retrieved the bird if for some reason the dog is not with..

I going to say I don't feel the same way....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Where are all the ducks at?
MitchMN
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:39 am

MitchMN wrote:
beretta24 wrote:

Personally, I do not shoot again until the dog as the harvest duck in her mouth or I have walked out and retrieved the bird if for some reason the dog is not with..

I going to say I don't feel the same way....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I thought my waders were to keep me dry and I thought my dog was to keep me company but what do I know...

I pick up my birds as soon as I can tell you I will shoot into a few flocks if the birds are working and as long as you don't shoot over your 6 no matter what your always in the clear. Is it a numbers game, I would say no but in this wonderful state we live in sometimes you don't get too many opportunities in a morning and I will take advantage of everyone I get. Just My .02
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:24 am

The warden's can tag you for wanton waste if you don't make an effort to pick up your birds and commit them to the bag, as soon as possible...as long as you aren't water swatting ducks, there isn't any reason you can't shoot over your hound....guys do it all the time in the pheasant field... :wink:

Additionally, if you down 6 birds and don't make a reasonable effort to pick up your cripple, lose it, then shoot your 7th duck, they can nab you for shooting over your limit....they watch, and they do cite people for this....so, careful out there, boys...
Labs
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:41 am

I prefer to hunt with a dog but there are times that does not happen. I only shoot birds close so most of my shots are within 30 yards and the duck usually drops within 25 yards dead in the water. I have confidence in my duck IDing abilities. If ducks are laying dead in the decs and hung up on rice or other vegatation I am not going out to pick them up. I highly doubt any C.O. would write you a ticket for letting ducks float in your decoys as long as you are within your limit. Please explain to me how that is unethical or illegal.

Now sailing one and not going to retrieve it is another story. It drives me nuts watching other hunters do that. I found ten dead ducks on a lake the weekend after a group of skybombers hunted it. I am sure many of those ducks could have been retrieved with a little effort but they were just out to shoot with little to no respect for the resource.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:47 am

Feathers wrote:I prefer to hunt with a dog but there are times that does not happen. I only shoot birds close so most of my shots are within 30 yards and the duck usually drops within 25 yards dead in the water. I have confidence in my duck IDing abilities. If ducks are laying dead in the decs and hung up on rice or other vegatation I am not going out to pick them up. I highly doubt any C.O. would write you a ticket for letting ducks float in your decoys as long as you are within your limit. Please explain to me how that is unethical or illegal.

I have seen a CO write a ticket for geese laying out dead in a field that landed behind the spread...on open ground within view...so, roll the dice if you want, I'm just not going to take the risk.
Labs
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:07 am

Labs wrote:
Feathers wrote:I prefer to hunt with a dog but there are times that does not happen. I only shoot birds close so most of my shots are within 30 yards and the duck usually drops within 25 yards dead in the water. I have confidence in my duck IDing abilities. If ducks are laying dead in the decs and hung up on rice or other vegatation I am not going out to pick them up. I highly doubt any C.O. would write you a ticket for letting ducks float in your decoys as long as you are within your limit. Please explain to me how that is unethical or illegal.

I have seen a CO write a ticket for geese laying out dead in a field that landed behind the spread...on open ground within view...so, roll the dice if you want, I'm just not going to take the risk.

Yea Ive had the CO "remind" us that its illegal to leave them lie and continue to hunt. I agree that if its in your hunting area and theres birds working, im going to let them work. but according to that CO it is in fact illegal. idk though, my opinion - use good judgment and make the efforts when you can and you should be fine.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby Palerider77 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:56 am

On the subject of public hunting, I would think that you would want to be in your spot before legal shooting hours. We had a group come by our spread exactly as legal shooting started on Saturday. I would expect that we will see less of the sillyness as the season progresses. Looking forward to deer season, should have the lake to ourselves. All told, in the area we hunt, everyone has been very courteous and has seemed to know the rules. The one boat that was skybusting at the 100 yard up ducks was 3/4 of a mile away. If you don't know you can hit them, don't shoot at them. :thumbsup:
Palerider77
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting