Lets talk Public hunting shall we....

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Re: Lets talk Public hunting shall we....

Postby Feathers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:46 am

That is interesting. I found the following in the regs.

Regarding retrieval:
"A person may not kill or wound any migratory game bird without making a
reasonable effort to retrieve the bird and include it in the daily bag limit."

Regarding wanton waste:
"You must make a reasonable effort to
retrieve all migratory game birds that you
kill or wound and keep these birds in your
actual custody while in the field. You must
immediately kill any wounded birds that
you retrieve and count those birds toward
your daily bag limit. Birds must remain in
your possession while in the field. You may
not give your birds to another person in
the field regardless of whether or not they
are properly tagged."

The question to me here is what is the definition of custody and possession. Niether of those are defined in the good book. Is a bird that is dead and laying in a field or water close to me in my custody and possession? I would say so. Could a C.O. write you a ticket? Sure, they can write you a ticket for anything but I don't think it would stand up in court.

The only spot I see "immediately" is in regards to killing a wounded bird. I don't see it say you need to immediately retrieve them.

I think the point of these laws are to make sure you attempt to retrieve birds that are crippled or sail a long distance and include them in your limit regardless if you find/retrieve them or not. I have a hard time believing they created them to force people to go pick up every dead bird that is laying right in front of you immediately after killing it. I also have a hard time seeing how it is unethical.
Feathers
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Labs wrote:
Feathers wrote:I prefer to hunt with a dog but there are times that does not happen. I only shoot birds close so most of my shots are within 30 yards and the duck usually drops within 25 yards dead in the water. I have confidence in my duck IDing abilities. If ducks are laying dead in the decs and hung up on rice or other vegatation I am not going out to pick them up. I highly doubt any C.O. would write you a ticket for letting ducks float in your decoys as long as you are within your limit. Please explain to me how that is unethical or illegal.

I have seen a CO write a ticket for geese laying out dead in a field that landed behind the spread...on open ground within view...so, roll the dice if you want, I'm just not going to take the risk.

id fight that one all day long if I can see the bird and its dead its gona lay there until birds arnt moving. NOW ifs its back in the weeds or alive or floating away then I am out there right away.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Feathers wrote:That is interesting. I have a hard time believing they created them to force people to go pick up every dead bird that is laying right in front of you immediately after killing it. I also have a hard time seeing how it is unethical.

Not sure if this entire post was directed at me, but I never said leaving a bird dead in your deeks was unethical. A better point to this discussion would be that the "good book" leaves room for interpretation....so, my advice would be, get to know your CO and ask him that direct question....because even as we debate this, there are differing opinions...so to, will be differing opinions with each CO you encounter. As far as arguing the point in court...it's your word against a CO...who do you think is going to win that one? :wink:

Toward hillbilly's point...if you are hunting in your own state, that would be a great recourse....when you are out of state, it's cheaper just to pay the fine and be done with it, than trying to take time off work, travel, and fight the ticket in court. The CO's know this, and love nailing out of staters....law of averages tells them the fine will be paid, no questions asked.
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Public land: I got my 4, and should have had my limit.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:58 pm

Labs wrote:
Feathers wrote:That is interesting. I have a hard time believing they created them to force people to go pick up every dead bird that is laying right in front of you immediately after killing it. I also have a hard time seeing how it is unethical.

Not sure if this entire post was directed at me, but I never said leaving a bird dead in your deeks was unethical. A better point to this discussion would be that the "good book" leaves room for interpretation....so, my advice would be, get to know your CO and ask him that direct question....because even as we debate this, there are differing opinions...so to, will be differing opinions with each CO you encounter. As far as arguing the point in court...it's your word against a CO...who do you think is going to win that one? :wink:

Toward hillbilly's point...if you are hunting in your own state, that would be a great recourse....when you are out of state, it's cheaper just to pay the fine and be done with it, than trying to take time off work, travel, and fight the ticket in court. The CO's know this, and love nailing out of staters....law of averages tells them the fine will be paid, no questions asked.

Point takin labs thanks for heads up
hillbilly..
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting