Prop Question

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Prop Question

Postby duckweed » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:57 pm

Ok guys I need some help here. I spun the hub in my prop evidently. I am looking to buy a new prop but have no idea where to start. My motor is a 1995 suzuki 55hp tiller. I am looking to get an aluminum prop. What pitch and size should I get. Not sure what mine is currently. I rung big river water and some back waters. Will have a pretty good load in my boat at certain times. Also my boat is a 16' v hull. Please help.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Re: Prop Question

Postby Okranger86 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Look locally for a prop shop, take it to them and have your old prop repaired, buy a reconditioned prop or a new one. All of the props i have looked at, the part number on a prop will be stamped on the back side of the hub. If you can find a part number buy one or two on ebay.

If your interested in power over speed, once you figure out the size and pitch of your old prop, get a four blade prop of the same diameter and pitch.
Okranger86
hunter

Re: Prop Question

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:49 pm

Okranger86 wrote:Look locally for a prop shop, take it to them and have your old prop repaired, buy a reconditioned prop or a new one. All of the props i have looked at, the part number on a prop will be stamped on the back side of the hub. If you can find a part number buy one or two on ebay.

If your interested in power over speed, once you figure out the size and pitch of your old prop, get a four blade prop of the same diameter and pitch.

NO

A 4 blade prop will generally drop the rpm by 200. You can gain that back by dropping the pitch size by 1", so if your boat runs well with a 10x13 3 blade, you can get similar performance out of a 10x12 4 blade. A 4 blade will give some stern lift to an aft heavy boat, but it is no excuse for proper loading.

According to the SOLAS website, your boat has a prop diamater of 11.6" and can run anywhere from a 10 to 16 pitch. Unfortunately this is where the black magic comes in. There is no specific formula to determine proper pitch for your boat. It is too variable. What you need is a tach to see what kind of RPM you are turning then you change pitch size from there. I would suggest you start with a 13 pitch 3 blade. I like the SOLAS props, and have a 3 blade and a 4 blade for my boat. I bought them from iboats.com for 60 each. Here are the sizes available for you through them.

http://www.solas.com/newweb/propeller/n ... 04&PdKd=AL
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds