Breakfast

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Breakfast

Postby okduckdude » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:28 am

While drinking my coffee this morning while checking the weather and wind for the mornings hunt, diving deep into philosophical thought, an inquiry crossed my mind. How many of you eat breakfast before a hunt, after, or during the hunt?

I typically will eat something quick before while always one cup of coffee. Somedays I eat nothing while having the coffee. Then their are the days I take a brunch to the blind with me.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Re: Breakfast

Postby micneador » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:16 am

Being that I'm usually under a tree or in the bushes hiding, A honey bun or sausage biscuit and a red diamond before, then 2 more red diamonds during. Sittin on the levee drinkin the same right now.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:25 am

I never eat before I go hunting but always do after. Too many times I have spent "called into the woods" so I just skip the intake.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby quack quack BANG » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:05 am

Sausage Biscuit Hotzi from QT and a red bull on the way to the hole, unless I am staying at the cabin, then it's breakfast after the hunt.
quack quack BANG
Newb

Postby coach_1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:59 am

Specklebelly wrote:I never eat before I go hunting but always do after. Too many times I have spent "called into the woods" so I just skip the intake.

Same here.
coach_1
hunter

Postby cole1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:03 am

We'll I had breakfast before I came this morning and just about crapped in my waders... Not an ideal situation to say the least...
cole1
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:46 am

I really don't think your a true duck hunter till you have stuck your arse into the north wind and laid some logs. And shot a duck while the pile is still steaming
sooner737
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:10 am

Usually during the hunt, especially a boat hunt. We bring a rubbermaid tub with a propane stove, utensils, etc., and a cooler with frozen stuff from walmart that gets fried in a pan.
One of the benefits of having a larger boat.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Drinking coffee makes me regular. So I'm good to go about 30 minutes after I wake up. After my morning glory, I'll grub on something. Usually oatmeal unless someone else is cooking a big breakfast. I'm not a fan of eating in the boat. I'm too busy hunting!
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:00 am

Usually get up cook some bacon or sausage, or both, and eggs, or pancakes. Have some coffee while Im cooking, more while Im eating. Get everything moving and moved out before I leave the house.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby GreenHeadLandman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 am

I usually have a 45 minute drive and a few buddies to pick up, so I always grab a 20 oz. coffee from QT and a package of chocolate covered Hostes Mini D-Nuts right after I leave the house. Once that hits it is either blow it up at my buddy's or the nearest gas station to the destination. I also try to eat pretty late the night before, and not make any deliveries before bed, which seems to help in the morning.
GreenHeadLandman
hunter

Postby Duxndog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:18 pm

I have done all the above options, however, I really enjoy a large breakfast before I leave the house with some nice hot coffee. However, I have no issues in the plumbing department so it can lead to a dicey situation mid-morning that can be distracting. I have found that the hot coffee element really moves things along so if I abstain, I normally can wait till I get home which is preferred. I used to pre-make sausage, egg, and cheese burritos and freeze them...you have a nice home made meal that is quickly warmed up to get out the door quickly. I may start a new routine that would be a home made breakfast with a 5-Hour energy. That may help dilemma...
Check out my Outdoor Blog at http://strictlyoutdoors.blogspot.com
Duxndog
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Duxndog wrote:I have done all the above options, however, I really enjoy a large breakfast before I leave the house with some nice hot coffee. However, I have no issues in the plumbing department so it can lead to a dicey situation mid-morning that can be distracting. I have found that the hot coffee element really moves things along so if I abstain, I normally can wait till I get home which is preferred. I used to pre-make sausage, egg, and cheese burritos and freeze them...you have a nice home made meal that is quickly warmed up to get out the door quickly. I may start a new routine that would be a home made breakfast with a 5-Hour energy. That may help dilemma...

I'm liking the burrito idea. I think I may start doing that instead. A few of those should last me the weekend
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Postby jeff_osu » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:44 am

I keep eating and drinking to a minimum. I might throw in a Dr. Pepper and candy bar in the bucket in case I needed to stay awake or get warm (chocolate are easy calories). I loved the trips to the cafe after hunting though.
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 am

BREAKFAST AFTER DA HUNT has become for " us " ... a TRADITION. We retire to a spot to prepare a good feed or hit a local spot on town for Huevoes, Gravy, Taters and PORK ANY| WAY YOU WANT IT! :yes:
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 am

I know better than to eat breakfast because it is almost always makes for a run for the woods situation. But the Tupelo store has the best breakfast biscuits in the world and great coffee. They open at 5 am I can't drive by there without stopping and just risk a trouble maker later.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby MWNHorseshoe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:11 pm

Sausage egg n cheese biscuit and coffee before the hunt. Coffee, water, and Copenhagen during the hunt. This combination can be deadly about 9:00 a.m., but if you've conditioned hard enough you can make it through the morning before hitting the nearest gas station bathroom.
MWNHorseshoe
Newb

Postby okduckdude » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:33 pm

What's up with all the wusses scared to pop a squat during a hunt? I've done it plenty of times, just carry toilet paper with you! Even if I have to hang over the edge of the boat.. Plus it really gets the birds flying!

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:40 pm

okduckdude wrote:What's up with all the wusses scared to pop a squat during a hunt? I've done it plenty of times, just carry toilet paper with you! Even if I have to hang over the edge of the boat.. Plus it really gets the birds flying!

:yes: I agree, except the birds flying part never seems to work for me. I guess I'm a rare exception.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:31 pm

okduckdude wrote:What's up with all the wusses scared to pop a squat during a hunt? I've done it plenty of times, just carry toilet paper with you! Even if I have to hang over the edge of the boat.. Plus it really gets the birds flying!

They are afraid of confrontation on an Internet forum what makes you think they drop their pants for anything other than a toilet.
sooner737
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 pm

The content of the post.... Wait to get to a gas station, hold it in, wait to get home..... Blah blah blah.....

We got some bona fide city slickers around here.....

Say all you want about me but I'm not a friend to take a dump and wipe with grass when needed (where i would not be indecently exposed)

okduckdude
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Eat. Poop. Be happy.

okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:17 pm

okduckdude wrote:The content of the post.... Wait to get to a gas station, hold it in, wait to get home..... Blah blah blah.....

Say all you want about me but I'm not a friend to take a dump and wipe with grass when needed (where i would not be indecently exposed)

If you tell them duck commander poops in the woods they'll do it.
sooner737
hunter

Postby Jaketez » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Crappy roll of mini doughnuts and a large cup of coffee. Kind of my good luck breakfast, that and an energy drink in the duck bucket
Jaketez
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:22 am

okduckdude wrote:The content of the post.... Wait to get to a gas station, hold it in, wait to get home..... Blah blah blah.....

Wussification of America
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting