waterfowl hunting digest???

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

waterfowl hunting digest???

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:02 am

Are there any new rules we should know about? Will it be in print before duck season?
Here is the name of the man in charge. Marc Miller.
Gettem boyz!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Re: waterfowl hunting digest???

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:20 am

it's available on the website and is being printed now
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:37 am

Where? Dloaded last years too many times. Sigh....try again.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:40 am

Click on waterfowl hunting digest and you get last years.
The dates are there for this year but that is all.
aunt betty

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:51 am

aunt betty wrote:Click on waterfowl hunting digest and you get last years.
The dates are there for this year but that is all.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Doc ... ations.pdf

that should work. when it comes to laws, most of those except for baiting are going to be in the regular digest
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:55 am

Got that. I paid for a license and an Illinois duck stamp and I want my copy of the waterfowl hunting digest NOW so I have a few weeks to study it.
Reading a damned book on turkey, pheasants, and everything to gleen the info I need from it is not going to happen. I dont hunt furbearers and could care less about deer chronic wasting.
I WANT WATERFOWL HUNTING DIGEST. I paid...
aunt betty

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:47 pm

aunt betty wrote:Got that. I paid for a license and an Illinois duck stamp and I want my copy of the waterfowl hunting digest NOW so I have a few weeks to study it.
Reading a damned book on turkey, pheasants, and everything to gleen the info I need from it is not going to happen. I dont hunt furbearers and could care less about deer chronic wasting.

click on the link....
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby luie b » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:18 pm

I read something in it I'd never seen that says if you own land for agricultural use or lease land for agricultural use that you can hunt waterfowl without stamps and just a hunting license and HIP cert. Has this always been a thing? If so I feel bad because I've been telling one of my friends that wants to start duck hunting that he'd need to buy his stamps and doesn't want to buy the stamps because he doesn't know if he'd like it. Him and his family own ground and lease a bunch of land for raising cattle that has a lot of good duck and goose spots on it.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:34 pm

aunt betty wrote:Got that. I paid for a license and an Illinois duck stamp and I want my copy of the waterfowl hunting digest NOW so I have a few weeks to study it.

Marc Miller... Get em
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:44 am

Skyblaster7 wrote:

click on the link....

That link is last years waterfowl digest and I keep clicking it to check every three days.
aunt betty

Postby Boocephus » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:54 am

http://www.dnrillinois.gov/hunting/Docu ... ations.pdf try that AB. Its on the DNR website.
Boocephus
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 am

the link I pasted brings up the new digest for me
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:58 am

Skyblaster7 wrote:the link I pasted brings up the new digest for me

Great!!!!!
Only one tiny teeny problem.
That is last years.
This is 2013. K?

Today is Sunday September 22, 2013.

Ahhhh. They named the file with the same name as last year.
My phone kept telling me I already have that file.
Outsmarted by a ***** phone.
aunt betty

Postby Boocephus » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Got it now AB? The link Im looking at says 2013-2014.
Boocephus
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Boocephus wrote:Got it now AB? The link Im looking at says 2013-2014.

Yeah. I kept rejecting the dload because it said file already exists.
Does that explain why I was not getting it?
Apparently they just stuck the disk in, uploaded the digest, covered up the old one, and failed to rename it.
aunt betty

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:23 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Boocephus wrote:Got it now AB? The link Im looking at says 2013-2014.

Yeah. I kept rejecting the dload because it said file already exists.
Does that explain why I was not getting it?
Apparently they just stuck the disk in, uploaded the digest, covered up the old one, and failed to rename it.

:clapping:
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:34 pm

luie b wrote:I read something in it I'd never seen that says if you own land for agricultural use or lease land for agricultural use that you can hunt waterfowl without stamps and just a hunting license and HIP cert. Has this always been a thing? If so I feel bad because I've been telling one of my friends that wants to start duck hunting that he'd need to buy his stamps and doesn't want to buy the stamps because he doesn't know if he'd like it. Him and his family own ground and lease a bunch of land for raising cattle that has a lot of good duck and goose spots on it.

If the $15.00 federal duck stamp and cost of a license is keeping him from trying it out, how is he going to afford all the other items needed :huh:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Weedwacker wrote:
luie b wrote:I read something in it I'd never seen that says if you own land for agricultural use or lease land for agricultural use that you can hunt waterfowl without stamps and just a hunting license and HIP cert. Has this always been a thing? If so I feel bad because I've been telling one of my friends that wants to start duck hunting that he'd need to buy his stamps and doesn't want to buy the stamps because he doesn't know if he'd like it. Him and his family own ground and lease a bunch of land for raising cattle that has a lot of good duck and goose spots on it.

If the $15.00 federal duck stamp and cost of a license is keeping him from trying it out, how is he going to afford all the other items needed :huh:

You have to buy the state one too so its more like 30 bucks. He just wanted to go with me over my decoys and calling just to try it out. He would never become a real waterfowler, he's more of a deer and turkey kind of guy.
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:28 pm

luie b wrote:...become a real waterfowler...

What defines a "real waterfowler"?
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:43 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:
luie b wrote:...become a real waterfowler...

What defines a "real waterfowler"?

One who actually owns a decoy spread, blinds, gear, etc. and hunts regularly throughout the season. My friend and I do a lot of deer and turkey hunting together and he's been wanting to kill a duck or two with me to see what the waterfowl thing's all about. I doubt he'll fall in love with it, he's more of a trophy hunter and waterfowl and upland hunting is far from "trophy hunting."
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:51 am

luie b wrote: Him and his family own ground and lease a bunch of land for raising cattle

...he can afford to buy the stamps...

aunt betty wrote:Are there any new rules we should know about? Will it be in print before duck season?
Gettem boyz!

This is funny. You want to jump this guy and it's because you couldn't figure out your phone!
supr87gt
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 am

supr87gt wrote:
luie b wrote: Him and his family own ground and lease a bunch of land for raising cattle

...he can afford to buy the stamps...

Poor farmers...I bet he bought a Binelli and dont have any cash left for stamps. :grooving:
aunt betty

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:05 am

supr87gt wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Are there any new rules we should know about? Will it be in print before duck season?
Gettem boyz!

This is funny. You want to jump this guy and it's because you couldn't figure out your phone!

LOL. Supr, Betty is trying to run for Director. Completely makes sense. Betty has my vote.
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:25 am

luie b wrote:One who actually owns a decoy spread, blinds, gear, etc. and hunts regularly throughout the season. My friend and I do a lot of deer and turkey hunting together and he's been wanting to kill a duck or two with me to see what the waterfowl thing's all about. I doubt he'll fall in love with it, he's more of a trophy hunter and waterfowl and upland hunting is far from "trophy hunting."

I disagree. Who cares about was equipment you have or how much your shotgun costs. A real waterfowl hunter is if you are able to crap in the woods/crick and not use TP, watch the steam off your urine and not try to melt any snow that is within the spread, chew or drink coffee for hours on end until limit or sunset, listen to the wife bitch that you hunted to many days and give an excuse every time of why you have to go tomorrow, sleep deprive yourself for sixty days and complain that there aren't enough ducks in the area. :hammer:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:52 am

One of the problems with getting hunting and waterfowl regulation booklets printed in a timely manner is that the Illinois legislature doesn't adjourn until 30 June. DOC/DNR always had to wait till the session ended to see if there were any legislative changes to the hunting regulations. The flyway council, which sets the federal waterfowl regs, meets later. Even in the good old days, the hunting booklets were rarely out before mid or late August and the waterfowl booklets were later still.
In the past 10 years-under blagojevich, Central Management Services (CMS), the powerhouse agency in Illinois state government-the 800 lb. gorilla in the room, took control of ALL vehicles, computers, leasing and contract letting from ALL agencies, which includes printing contracts for the regs booklets. CMS lets the printing contracts WHEN and if they feel like it. They aren't the agency that as to listen to PO'ed public. In fact, they have often suggested that there is no need for printed regs booklets, as online is good enough. That may be OK for guys with smart phones, but not for this old dinosaur. My bet is that like deer/turkey permits and watercraft registrations, reg. booklets will online ONLY within the next 5 years.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting