YOUTH HUNT

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

YOUTH HUNT

Postby apflyingleap » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:18 pm

How did everybody do?

We hiked into a series of beaver ponds where we'd seen several birds earlier this summer...ponds were dry. Lot of hiking, zero shooting.

BUT, we had also hunted turkeys in the same area back in May. Today, while we were hiking, I noticed something on the ground. It was a box turkey call, that looked...familiar. When we got home today, we checked my son's turkey pack and, sure enough, his box call was gone. Turns out it was his call. Without even knowing it, the call had slipped out of my son's pack four months ago. How about that! In the middle of nowhere we walk right over our own lost box call! Needs a little cleaning up but it's otherwise fine.

Would love to hear how everyone did today and see pics!!!
apflyingleap
hunter

Re: YOUTH HUNT

Postby duck jerky » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:08 pm

My 14 year old twin boys had their best opener. The one got 6, 5 teal and a shovler and other one got 4 teal :smile:
duck jerky
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Nicely done! Sounds like a great day with your boys. Post some pics!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Lots of shooting but no ducks for my daughter. It was fun. It is nice to just sit out there and discuss what the birds are doing and teaching some hunting skills. She is 10 so lots of learning ahead. There were more birds this year than last year. Last year I think she only shot 3 times, this year she shot almost two boxes. :biggrin:
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Two boxes of shells!!! That's awesome. What fun she must've had. Passing on the tradition. That's what it's all about. Well done.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:15 pm

I was ice fishing a few years ago on pineview jerked lost pole holder down the hole that summer walk along the beach same area there it was kinda funny.bummed out had to work nights on a emergency shut down first one i missed in 8 years
mojo coot
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:10 am

Well at least they waited for shooting time this year I have seen years past shooting ten minutes early. my girl didn't get any she shot over a box in 20 min then her knee she hurt started to act up so we just sat and watched duck come in for 40 min and then picked up she had a great time :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby ziggy15 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:14 pm

went through 2 boxes and only pulled down 6 ducks and 3 coots. We were stopped by the officers and grilled on the types of ducks that he shot, and they gave him a booklet on identifying the birds. (even though we told him a few times what each bird was). Great day, I hope the season opener has this many ducks.
Last edited by ziggy15 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy15
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Great stuff!!!

Don't get used to baggin' birds in your shirt sleeves. The cold is coming!
apflyingleap
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting