Respect

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Respect

Postby whaknstak » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 pm

This am, after sitting since midnight in a spot I scouted out and saw birds, I had a boat come in and set up 100 yards away. He hollered out to get the f*** out of his hole. I cranked up to go talk with him. he was with another teen and they had both been drinking. I asked what the problem was, and why he was so close. he said this was his f***** spot, he scouted it, and he wasn't moving. Told us to pack our s*** up and move. I told him it was unsafe to sit that close and they needed to move a little farther away. The response I got was "f*** you, I ain't leaving. I'm hunting my spot."

Later in the morning he calmed down a little bit, but I was blown away and how disrespectful and confrontational a young 20 year old can be to someone he doesn't know in the dark at 3 in the morning. This is what is wrong with this sport. The self entitled generation of hunters are ruining it for everyone. I can only hope these will remain the exception and not the norm. Bottom line, treat others with respect, just as you wish to be respected.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Re: Respect

Postby marshnole11 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:45 pm

It has nothing to do with duck hunting its just pecker head kids in general. When I was that age I would have never set up that close to someone just because I would have been worried that person was going to f up my hunt. Its way easier to just move along and find another hole and not have to deal with someone flaring birds. some kids these days have no manners, ethics or general sense it seems. Hell im only 33 and I feel like some old geezer complaining about college kids

I have decided these last few years to do less yelling and more agitating when dealing with idiots. I now have a fun toy that I use on arse clowns that like to set up on top of me. I have a 2000 lumen cree headlamp spotlight that has a strobe setting on it. It flashes about 2 times per second and if you stare at it for more than 30 seconds you will have a freaking seizure.

I just point that directly at their boat and then turn myself the other way and enjoy my coffee. It has actually made people move.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:36 pm

whaknstak wrote:This am, after sitting since midnight in a spot I scouted out and saw birds, I had a boat come in and set up 100 yards away. He hollered out to get the f*** out of his hole. I cranked up to go talk with him. he was with another teen and they had both been drinking. I asked what the problem was, and why he was so close. he said this was his f***** spot, he scouted it, and he wasn't moving. Told us to pack our s*** up and move. I told him it was unsafe to sit that close and they needed to move a little farther away. The response I got was "f*** you, I ain't leaving. I'm hunting my spot."

Later in the morning he calmed down a little bit, but I was blown away and how disrespectful and confrontational a young 20 year old can be to someone he doesn't know in the dark at 3 in the morning. This is what is wrong with this sport. The self entitled generation of hunters are ruining it for everyone. I can only hope these will remain the exception and not the norm. Bottom line, treat others with respect, just as you wish to be respected.

I know you had at least one hand close to that pistol in your belt loop :hammer: :wink:
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:32 pm

whaknstak wrote:
I was blown away and how disrespectful and confrontational a young 20 year old can be to someone he doesn't know in the dark at 3 in the morning.

This young man has yet to run across the one that will beat the brakes off him at the ramp. I wonder if he even realizes what kind of ass he made of himself today.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:14 am

It happen to me at PCS yesterday.

I got settled in and way off in the distance I heard a group heading towards me. I flashed the spotlight but they never broke stride. I knew they got with a 100 yards then I couldn't see them but I could hear them talk. After a little bit, I had to shine at a few gators in the decoys so I figured I'd try to find out where they were at because they set up to my 1100 o'clock and I would have to shoot almost straight towards them.

As soon as my light hit their direction, one starts screaming at me to stop shining that F$&&@&$ light at us...you F$@@$ A)&&)$@$. I snapped and started yelling back. Told him where I was parked and what truck I drove. He replied that he'll talk a bat and bash my truck in. So....I explained how I would shove my GLOCK in his temple and I just sat back down. I almost went over there. I'm done with the place. I'm too old to act like that.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25 am

seminole_sigmanu wrote:It happen to me at PCS yesterday.

I got settled in and way off in the distance I heard a group heading towards me. I flashed the spotlight but they never broke stride. I knew they got with a 100 yards then I couldn't see them but I could hear them talk. After a little bit, I had to shine at a few gators in the decoys so I figured I'd try to find out where they were at because they set up to my 1100 o'clock and I would have to shoot almost straight towards them.

As soon as my light hit their direction, one starts screaming at me to stop shining that F$&&@&$ light at us...you F$@@$ A)&&)$@$. I snapped and started yelling back. Told him where I was parked and what truck I drove. He replied that he'll talk a bat and bash my truck in. So....I explained how I would shove my GLOCK in his temple and I just sat back down. I almost went over there. I'm done with the place. I'm too old to act like that.

I took a calmer approach. He was a drunk and aggressive tool. Yelling and threatening wouldn't have done any good. But one day, and dale said, someone not as nice as me will wipe the floor with him. A little attitude adjustment would prob go a long way to correct bad behavior.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:37 am

99% I the time I wouldn't have said a word but for some reason it just struck me wrong.

I've heard horror stories about drunks on micci.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby FSUhunting » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:04 am

So as a fellow young duck hunter who is new to the public lakes of Tallahassee what is the general code of ethics? Growing up I never really hunted public lakes and when I did other hunters were never an issue, obviously duck hunting in Tallahassee is a lot different. I went out yesterday to a small lake where I was the only person hunting just to avoid any confrontations but didn't see any ducks and haven't seen much this year went I was scouting out there either. I was thinking about moving out to one of the big lakes but just didn't want to be "that guy"^^^^. I'd like to think that I am pretty reasonable obviously I would not set up on anyone intentionally but I just wanted to see how you guys felt about how close to too close and what else I should know/do as far as respecting my fellow hunters while out there and still giving myself a fair chance.
any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance :beer:
FSUhunting
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:48 am

FSUhunting wrote:So as a fellow young duck hunter who is new to the public lakes of Tallahassee what is the general code of ethics? Growing up I never really hunted public lakes and when I did other hunters were never an issue, obviously duck hunting in Tallahassee is a lot different. I went out yesterday to a small lake where I was the only person hunting just to avoid any confrontations but didn't see any ducks and haven't seen much this year went I was scouting out there either. I was thinking about moving out to one of the big lakes but just didn't want to be "that guy"^^^^. I'd like to think that I am pretty reasonable obviously I would not set up on anyone intentionally but I just wanted to see how you guys felt about how close to too close and what else I should know/do as far as respecting my fellow hunters while out there and still giving myself a fair chance.

My unwritten rule is a minimum of 200yds when setting up. The more the better. Don't try and hail call to birds working someone else's spread and don't sky blast at birds knowing you wont hit them. Also, be quiet and timely. Nobody likes to hear you yell and scream at 5 in the morning when birds begin rustling.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:49 am

Ill just put this here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=169470

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:01 pm

FSUhunting wrote:So as a fellow young duck hunter who is new to the public lakes of Tallahassee what is the general code of ethics? Growing up I never really hunted public lakes and when I did other hunters were never an issue, obviously duck hunting in Tallahassee is a lot different. I went out yesterday to a small lake where I was the only person hunting just to avoid any confrontations but didn't see any ducks and haven't seen much this year went I was scouting out there either. I was thinking about moving out to one of the big lakes but just didn't want to be "that guy"^^^^. I'd like to think that I am pretty reasonable obviously I would not set up on anyone intentionally but I just wanted to see how you guys felt about how close to too close and what else I should know/do as far as respecting my fellow hunters while out there and still giving myself a fair chance.

Your welcome to hunt with me. I'm local in Leon. Pm me your contact info and ill gladly show you the ropes.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 pm

whaknstak wrote:

Your welcome to hunt with me. I'm local in Leon. Pm me your contact info and ill gladly show you the ropes.

Dont do it! He will show up late and make you wait at the boat ramp

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Let he who is blameless cast the first stone.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:57 pm

whaknstak wrote:Let he who is blameless cast the first stone.

You were the first one to be late lol

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Now were even

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:35 pm

That's really sad Mitchell . I would think waterfowl hunters were above that kind of non-sense , but with todays new breed thinking it's like duck commander I'm not surprise . I always thought we as duck hunters were different than the others . We seem to take better care of our hunting dogs and equipment . We are more concern with the natural resources by being members with Delta waterfowl and Ducks unlimited . Duck hunters were for the most part , polite ! I guess it's changing :crying:
dogyak
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:53 pm

that was definitely one for the record books mitchell....we'll have to do it again sometime, haha....kids :no:
You pay for you!

Postby :-) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:59 pm

dogyak wrote:That's really sad Mitchell . I would think waterfowl hunters were above that kind of non-sense , but with todays new breed thinking it's like duck commander I'm not surprise . I always thought we as duck hunters were different than the others . We seem to take better care of our hunting dogs and equipment . We are more concern with the natural resources by being members with Delta waterfowl and Ducks unlimited . Duck hunters were for the most part , polite ! I guess it's changing :crying:

Since when? I've been hunting ducks for 20 years, and it's the same mess every year...long before Duck Dynasty. DW's iffy , DU is a scam, I beat the sh!t outa my boat to get away from the idiots, and when I run outa gas I use my gun as a boat paddle. Lol

90% of hunters, not just duck hunters, are good people...5% are good people that don't know any better, and 5% are idiots that shouldn't be allowed to own firearms.

You did get a couple things right...my dog eats dang good, and it's a shame that Mitchell had a bad experience.
:-)
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Why do you think DU is a scam . I've seen where some of their money has gone for wet land development . Have you ever worked a wet land clean-up and built wood duck nest , I have . I turn 54 in Oct , and was raised in a hunting family . As a kid , I never seen the kind of disrespect as I'm seeing today . Will agree that some of the things that are changing was not the result of the Duck Commander , but then again , the current trend has brought newbies in who think they know the ropes because of the show . Two years ago , I had a kid set up less than 50 YDS in front of me , asked if he really was going to do it . Well you guess it , I moved so no trouble would become of it . It's worst IMO . Also , DU and Delta gives free clinics too teach people about duck hunting . I worked one in Lake Mary at Gander about 5 years back , and they never asked for membership . FWC was there too to explain the law .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:41 am

If the hunter was drunk I"d get on the horn
with my FWC buddy. I can tolerate an *****
now and then, but drunk hunters are no good.
Anyone drunk at 3:00 AM with a firearm needs
to be removed from the marsh.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 am

Coonrod wrote:If the hunter was drunk I"d get on the horn
with my FWC buddy. I can tolerate an *****
now and then, but drunk hunters are no good.
Anyone drunk at 3:00 AM with a firearm needs
to be removed from the marsh.

And have his hunting license and boating privileges revoked for no less than a year on each. Being drunk or under the influence and armed with a gun is no different than being in the same shape behind the wheel of a truck.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:04 am

Unfortunately I know a lot of the kids that are causing these problems on the lake. And being 19, I hate getting thrown into that group with them. I don't associate with those people. But because I'm 19 and I pull up to ramp with a college sticker on my truck people seen to think I'm automatically a yahoo. Even though I've been duck hunting longer than a lot of the 30 and 40 year olds that hunt and probably know a lot more about duck hunting than they will ever know. So just remember that not all of us young college kids are like that.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:05 am

quackhunter99 wrote:Unfortunately I know a lot of the kids that are causing these problems on the lake. And being 19, I hate getting thrown into that group with them. I don't associate with those people. But because I'm 19 and I pull up to ramp with a college sticker on my truck people seen to think I'm automatically a yahoo. Even though I've been duck hunting longer than a lot of the 30 and 40 year olds that hunt and probably know a lot more about duck hunting than they will ever know. So just remember that not all of us young college kids are like that.

Ole Miss blows, Go Gators!

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 am

quackhunter99 wrote:Unfortunately I know a lot of the kids that are causing these problems on the lake. And being 19, I hate getting thrown into that group with them. I don't associate with those people. But because I'm 19 and I pull up to ramp with a college sticker on my truck people seen to think I'm automatically a yahoo. Even though I've been duck hunting longer than a lot of the 30 and 40 year olds that hunt and probably know a lot more about duck hunting than they will ever know. So just remember that not all of us young college kids are like that.

Pretty sure he went to school with you.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:47 am

I went to Maclay and not many kids duck hunted from there. I do know some kids that went to PCS opening morning though. I had my opening morning last weekend and was in a suit doing rush crap all Saturday.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting