Grassing up an Aquapod

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby aaronoto » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Purchased a new 10' Aquapod Sport for this upcoming season. I've only taken it out for one paddle so far, but overall I'm very pleased with it. I'm by no means an expert as grassing boats/blinds- this was my first go at it, but I thought I'd detail the progress in case anyone has a small sneak boat they are waiting to grass.

I started with some green plastic fencing and laid it out over the boat to get the correct length. This fencing had 1" holes, but they were a little too small to easily loop the grass through. I'd look for something with a little larger holes to make it easier to loop through.
DSC01632.jpg


Next I zip tied the fencing to the shock cord stubble strap and the roughed out the shape to match the hull. Instead of cutting out the cockpit I initially left two poor man blind doors. I think they would have worked OK, but given that they didn't really hinge and I wanted cockpit space without fighting them I ended up cutting them off.
DSC01633.jpg

DSC01635.jpg


Bulk raffia is a great deal, but I didn't need that much and I really didn't want to deal with dying it, so I went with the Avery Killerweed All Terrain grass. I mixed all the colors together, but the grey quickly stood out like a sore thumb, so I pulled that back out as best I could.
DSC01638.jpg

DSC01639.jpg
aaronoto
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:59 am
Location: Whatcom County


Re: Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby aaronoto » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Now came the fun part... Start tying your bundles. It took me hours to complete the entire boat.
DSC01640.jpg


The completed boat. Looks good, but a little too bright.
DSC01644.jpg


Hit it with some Krylon Flat Camo in Brown and it's looking a lot better.
DSC01645.jpg


And she's all ready to go!
DSC01648.jpg
aaronoto
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:59 am
Location: Whatcom County

Re: Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:09 am

Looks really good. Carry a camera and brush trimmers with you and snap pictures in your area, it will help you fine tune the colors.

Make sure the grass doesn't hang below the water line, it makes it tougher to paddle and soaks up a bunch of water.

I completely redid the Marsh Rat and removed the factory camo cover and went with garden fence like you. The only difference was I made my blind door fold forward onto the boat instead of to the side into the water.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
User avatar
orphanedcowboy
hunter
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby aaronoto » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:00 am

Yep, next step is to take it to some local waters and test the color out. I'm a bit worried the grass is a little too long all around, but that'll be an easy fix once at the water. I like the results, but it took me about 8 hours to get it all done - hope it lasts!
aaronoto
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:59 am
Location: Whatcom County

Re: Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Take a pair of scissors with you. I also made about 30 small bundles of different colored grass tied to clothes pins to add color at the area I am hunting. I keep them in a cheap nylon duffle bag shoved under the reclining seat.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
User avatar
orphanedcowboy
hunter
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby IAdukhntr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:35 pm

What is holding up your gun. Can you take a pic of that for me.
IAdukhntr
hunter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:03 pm
Location: Sioux City, IA

Re: Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:03 pm

aaronoto wrote:Purchased a new 10' Aquapod Sport for this upcoming season. I've only taken it out for one paddle so far, but overall I'm very pleased with it. I'm by no means an expert as grassing boats/blinds- this was my first go at it, but I thought I'd detail the progress in case anyone has a small sneak boat they are waiting to grass.

I started with some green plastic fencing and laid it out over the boat to get the correct length. This fencing had 1" holes, but they were a little too small to easily loop the grass through. I'd look for something with a little larger holes to make it easier to loop through.
DSC01632.jpg


Next I zip tied the fencing to the shock cord stubble strap and the roughed out the shape to match the hull. Instead of cutting out the cockpit I initially left two poor man blind doors. I think they would have worked OK, but given that they didn't really hinge and I wanted cockpit space without fighting them I ended up cutting them off.
DSC01633.jpg

DSC01635.jpg




Bulk raffia is a great deal, but I didn't need that much and I really didn't want to deal with dying it, so I went with the Avery Killerweed All Terrain grass. I mixed all the colors together, but the grey quickly stood out like a sore thumb, so I pulled that back out as best I could.
DSC01638.jpg

DSC01639.jpg



That looks really awesome. If you find something on that does not work quite right, you can always just buy grass mats. They come in packs of 4 and are 4'x4'. Simply roll them up and bungee them together during transport. When you get to your hole, unroll them and drape them across your boat. You will basically have 4'x16' of mat.
Last edited by scruggs12 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scruggs12
hunter
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby aaronoto » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:35 pm

IAdukhntr wrote:What is holding up your gun. Can you take a pic of that for me.


The gun is in the gun rack that Aquapod sells. It's nice, I just wish there was a way to lock the J hooks onto the gunwale. Guess I could just drill it and bolt them after I fine tune the placement.
aaronoto
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:59 am
Location: Whatcom County

Re: Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:57 am

Did you attach the fencing to your boat somehow, or is the weight of the Raffia keeping it in place?
Shoot a goose, save a plane!
StanwoodSpartan
hunter
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Grassing up an Aquapod

Postby Skye Bustin' » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:35 pm

StanwoodSpartan wrote:Did you attach the fencing to your boat somehow, or is the weight of the Raffia keeping it in place?


aaronoto wrote:Next I zip tied the fencing to the shock cord stubble strap and the roughed out the shape to match the hull. Instead of cutting out the cockpit I initially left two poor man blind doors. I think they would have worked OK, but given that they didn't really hinge and I wanted cockpit space without fighting them I ended up cutting them off.
DSC01633.jpg

DSC01635.jpg


Says it right there...zip tied the fencing to the shock cord stubble strap...
User avatar
Skye Bustin'
hunter
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: Back down south, don't you know


Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests