$5

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:23 pm

I also like to have 6-7 deer carcasses at one time to make stock with in a 75 gallon pot.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana


Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:25 pm

copterdoc wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...also-does and fawns taste better and are more tender!
They do not.
I've given my "brown-it's-down" friends the pepsi challenge with rutted up stinky buck roast, vs 6 month old doe fawn several times.

If they don't know the deer they are eating, they CANNOT reliably distinguish the meat.
It's actually funny to watch.

And here's a bowhunting vid that just might impress you.


shoulda used a shotgun....that arrow tears them up too bad.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I can tell. a yearling will get tender before a doe. A Doe before a mature buck.


Nah. No difference in the meat. By the time a deer is 6 months its spent more time on its feet than you do in ten years. The muscles are the same, just smaller.

The doe to buck comparison is just preposterous. Two deer the same age, living in the same place, eating the same thing, spending the same amount of time on its feet, are going to taste different?
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Know what does impress me? Head shots on mallards at 10 yards. :thumbsup: no pellets in the meat.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Know what does impress me? Head shots on mallards at 10 yards. :thumbsup: no pellets in the meat.


Don't have to worry about that with an arrow at any distance.
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I can tell. a yearling will get tender before a doe. A Doe before a mature buck.


Nah. No difference in the meat. By the time a deer is 6 months its spent more time on its feet than you do in ten years. The muscles are the same, just smaller.

The doe to buck comparison is just preposterous. Two deer the same age, living in the same place, eating the same thing, spending the same amount of time on its feet, are going to taste different?

BS. I cook a sauce piquant with a yearling and it will finish in about 1.5 hours. mature buck will take 4 hours minimum to get tender.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby copterdoc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:....Two deer the same age, living in the same place, eating the same thing, spending the same amount of time on its feet, are going to taste different?
They do, if somebody tells the person which is which.

If you don't, they really cannot tell the difference.

And you get over 100# of meat off of ONE mature buck in the mid-west.
You get less than 30# from a fawn.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 6024
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Know what does impress me? Head shots on mallards at 10 yards. :thumbsup: no pellets in the meat.


Don't have to worry about that with an arrow at any distance.

An arrow through a bird's body will tear them up more than a shotgun blast to the head.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:30 pm

What's 5 dollars split 3 ways?
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:30 pm

copterdoc wrote:You get less than 30# from a fawn.

I'll take 3 fawns over a mature buck any day.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Bill Herian wrote:What's 5 dollars split 3 ways?

$1.6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 repeating......................
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby copterdoc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
copterdoc wrote:You get less than 30# from a fawn.

I'll take 3 fawns over a mature buck any day.
I used to do that.

I don't anymore.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 6024
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:33 pm

copterdoc wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:....Two deer the same age, living in the same place, eating the same thing, spending the same amount of time on its feet, are going to taste different?
They do, if somebody tells the person which is which.

If you don't, they really cannot tell the difference.

And you get over 100# of meat off of ONE mature buck in the mid-west.
You get less than 30# from a fawn.

someone got the quotes screwed up...
I did not say they will taste different, I said the mature buck will be tougher and from that-I can tell the difference.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:What's 5 dollars split 3 ways?

$1.66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 repeating......................


You guys keep my share, I'll tell jehler we have a winner.
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 pm

copterdoc wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
copterdoc wrote:You get less than 30# from a fawn.

I'll take 3 fawns over a mature buck any day.
I used to do that.

I don't anymore.

you guys must grind your meat up huh.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:What's 5 dollars split 3 ways?

$1.66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 repeating......................


You guys keep my share, I'll tell jehler we have a winner.

and who might that be?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby copterdoc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
copterdoc wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
copterdoc wrote:You get less than 30# from a fawn.

I'll take 3 fawns over a mature buck any day.
I used to do that.

I don't anymore.

you guys must grind your meat up huh.
I grind a lot of it.
But, I keep the tenderloins, back straps, and roasts whole.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 6024
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:43 pm

copterdoc wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
copterdoc wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
copterdoc wrote:You get less than 30# from a fawn.

I'll take 3 fawns over a mature buck any day.
I used to do that.

I don't anymore.

you guys must grind your meat up huh.
I grind a lot of it.
But, I keep the tenderloins, back straps, and roasts whole.

take some of that stew meat you use to grind and make a stew with it instead of grinding it....fawns get tender before a mature buck. Period.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby copterdoc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Indaswamp wrote:take some of that stew meat you use to grind and make a stew with it instead of grinding it....fawns get tender before a mature buck. Period.
The ONLY difference, is that a fawn doesn't have enough to be worth messing with.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 6024
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:46 pm

copterdoc wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:take some of that stew meat you use to grind and make a stew with it instead of grinding it....fawns get tender before a mature buck. Period.
The ONLY difference, is that a fawn doesn't have enough to be worth messing with.

You don't cook stews do you?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:47 pm

And while we are on it, I guess young ducks don't fall apart before old birds either according to Copterdoc.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:50 pm

...and veal is just as tough as beef.... :rolleyes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby copterdoc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Indaswamp wrote:You don't cook stews do you?
The meat that I grind, is mixed with 1/3rd beef or cheap bacon. And I use that for any ground beef recipe that I consume all year.

I don't EVER buy beef other than roundsteak, or trim, for grinding.

I will cube and stew my roasts.

However, what I consider most significant, since I quit killing young deer, and became selective for ONLY mature bucks. Is that I have more meat than I can eat in a year from one. That's more than I used to get from three. And I only need to butcher one, to get it.

And the meat is just as good.
Last edited by copterdoc on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 6024
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Oh...and stewing hen will be just as tender as a fryer hen. :rolleyes: And a rooster, well...he's just as tender as the fryer hen! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Ever hear of Coq Au Vin? The wine and long slow cooking time is to help tenderize the bird, and it has more depth of flavor than a fryer.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: $5

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:57 pm

copterdoc wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:You don't cook stews do you?
The meat that I grind, is mixed with 1/3rd beef or cheap bacon. And I use that for any ground beef recipe that I consume all year.

I don't EVER buy beef other than roundsteak, or trim, for grinding.

I will cube and stew my roasts.

However, what I consider most significant, since I quit killing young deer, and became selective for ONLY mature bucks. Is that I have more meat than I can eat in a year from one, than I used to get from three. And I only need to butcher one, to get it.

And the meat is just as good.

I could cook 2 sauce piquants, one with a yearling and one with a mature buck using the exact same cut of meat and any moron could tell the difference in 1.5 hours. The yearling will be falling apart and the buck will be tough as leather.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58750
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AKPirate, Calibogue, duck1996, Papachessie and 40 guests