Erie State Game Area & small boats? (Woodtick peninsula)

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Erie State Game Area & small boats? (Woodtick peninsula)

Postby TheDish » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 am

I just moved down in Monroe County (Ottawa Lake) I was hunting up near Brighton and Pinckey so this is a new area for me and from what I can tell there are not very many places to head out to.

I was out scouting this weekend at erie state game area and the surrounding marsh. (Didn't have my boat just on foot poking around) I talked to a few people who suggested heading out into the north Maumee bay, woodtick peninsula and some of the surrounding islands. I'm assuming the hunting pressure is pretty heavy but what I'm concerned about is taking my boat out there.

Most people I talked to said I should be fine but I keep reading different reports of how the water can get rough.

I have a 12' Jon boat with a electric outboard.

I noticed that the water in the bay is pretty shallow (according to a fishing map I have only between 5-7 feet)
Obviously I have my reservations, but I saw kayakers and other small boats when I was out.

Anyone who is familiar with the area - I would really appreciate some help. I'm not looking for hunting spots, just want to know if I'll be safe.

Thanks!
Last edited by TheDish on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDish
Newb

Re: Erie State Game Area & small boats? (Woodtick peninsula)

Postby mproffitt57 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:55 am

I hunt North of there on Lake Erie and the Point... I would be cautious of a few things...

1. That small of a boat may be sketchy on Lake Erie and I thought Woodtick opened up into the big lake.

2. An outboard motor can lead to alot of trouble in some areas of very shallow water.

again I dont hunt that far south but i know that the big lake can turn very quickly from my experience, but if your just hunting the shore I might give it a shot on an afternoon hunt so you can at least see whats going on until you get to know the area.
mproffitt57
hunter

Postby TheDish » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks for the heads up. Taking a small boat on the "big lake" but the people I talked to in the area said "as long as you stay in the bay it should be fine". But I still have my reservations.

Your hunt north of there, like Pointe Mouille? I was scouting that area as well, what's the water levels like out there. It was really windy and choppy when I was out last weekend
TheDish
Newb

Postby mproffitt57 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:05 am

Water levels are usually low inside the zones and the bays can have water blow out of them with a stiff west wind where it is literally a mud flat. That 12ft boat would be great in the zones and bays with a mud motor or in the channel. Normally the water levels in the zones are knee to waste deep with some places comming up to ankle depth. Bays get deeper but you have to watch that wind when the water blows out. You would be ok on those bays if you stay inside the wall and inside the islands or hunt the back side of the islands....
mproffitt57
hunter

Postby TheDish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Thank you very much. I'm going to head out there this weekend just to get a feel for it. I really appreciate your help.

Good luck this season
TheDish
Newb

Postby mproffitt57 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Ditto, Hopefully well see you out there... if you get in the units at the Point (Humpheries or the Vermet) I would appreciate a water level report if ya dont mind!

Thanks,
mproffitt57
hunter

Postby TheDish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 pm

I'll try to make it out to the humphries unit, that was the other area I was looking at, but without a boat there wasn't much to see. I'll pm you if I make it out
TheDish
Newb

Postby MallardMan5 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:42 am

Ill just say that I made the investment and bought a surface drive motor this year because nothing is worse than waking up early just to get to the launch and there isnt enough water to take your outboard out. That happened to me at least three times last year at woodtick. Good luck this year
MallardMan5
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting