Lead on Platte River Dove Hunting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Lead on Platte River Dove Hunting

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:58 am

Ok, so I have a lease on the Platte River. I was out there yesterday and didn't see a teal one, but the doves are thick! My question is, can I shoot lead loads dove hunting out there? Its not a CA or wetlands area. I have never read or heard otherwise. Just that for waterfowl, you must shoot non toxic shot. Anyone able to educate me? Thanks
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Re: Lead on Platte River Dove Hunting

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:57 pm

I can't answer for that area specifically, but I can point out exactly how wacky these no tox laws are. I can hunt any given corn field in the morning for pheasant and use lead. I can go back to the same field in the afternoon to hunt geese and ducks, but then I'd have to use no tox! When you consider that the size lead used for pheasant is usually the same size as used for ducks, and the original argument was that the size was the exact size that the ducks preferred for grit and as a result were ingesting spent lead, what's the difference?

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Yeah I checked into it, and turns out I can do the same. It doesn't make a lick of sense!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Ive wondered the same thing... like why do you have to shoot steel when your hunting a field for waterfowl when i can hunt dove in the exact same field with lead?
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:Ive wondered the same thing... like why do you have to shoot steel when your hunting a field for waterfowl when i can hunt dove in the exact same field with lead?

Well, I can give you the official BS, er, I mean explanation. It seems that waterfowl are pretty selective in the size of the grit they ingest, and oddly enough, that size coincides with the size of lead shot commonly used by hunters for shooting that particular species. So, if you were to go into a cut corn field to shoot ducks and geese, you'd pretty much be shooting the same size that they are looking for. But, since the feds can't regulate the use of lead for upland birds on non federal land, you're free to use lead for pheasant or whatever. In the case of field hunting, most of the fields that are hunted are active crop fields. Lead ingestion in these fields is not so high as in other areas, so any danger of lead ingestion in these fields is minimized. Furthermore, those fields are turned over seasonally, thus burying then lead and making ingestion even more unlikely. And, and this is the big one, studies show that it takes a lot of lead (read a LOT of lead) to be shot in a field to cause an issue. So, why do we have a lead ban on waterfowl? Simply, the federal government in the 1960s and 70s was being over run by tree huggers and pure environmentalists. There was already a ban in place on lead paint, and lead is a known toxin so it is common knowledge (?) that it is bad. Besides, the feds spent millions on studying this problem, so it needed to be justified. What was found with respect to waterfowl was that there were about half dozen "hot spots" where the amount of shooting deposited enough lead to present a problem. The fight was on and it looked like the feds weren't going to get the ban. That is until someone announced that they were finding bald eagles that were suffering from lead poisoning from eating birds shot with lead shot! That's it, right there. No further study (or verification) was necessary. Lead was going to be banned.

But what about the hot spots? Well, it was deemed that it would be too difficult to enforce the law based on where lead was being used. One could, after all, simply move across the property line and shoot the same duck with lead in a perfectly legal manner. So, the Federal Government decreed that henceforth all waterfowl hunting (the only hunting that they had any jurisdiction over) could only be done with non toxic ammunition.

And that, boys and girls, is how the federal government stuck it to us where the daylight don't shine.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Wow Frank, thanks for that. I don't think I had ever really heard how that came about. Other than they just discovered lead was "bad" lol.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Here is my two cents. Yes you can use lead out there. You can only hunt Dove if you take those shells though. You can't hunt Waterfowl, and have some lead shot in your pocket in case a Dove comes by. That will get you into trouble.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:57 pm

The poster above me is correct about the Bald Eagle scenario. Birds can eat the shot. I also happen to work for a Raptor rehabilitation program. You can't use lead on Waterfowl because Raptors eat them. If you wound a bird with lead, and a Raptor eats it because it's an easy meal the lead can get transferred.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:02 pm

hockymvp wrote:Here is my two cents. Yes you can use lead out there. You can only hunt Dove if you take those shells though. You can't hunt Waterfowl, and have some lead shot in your pocket in case a Dove comes by. That will get you into trouble.

Yeah I at least know not to do that. I have heard the stories of guys getting written up even for having lead shells in the truck! Not worth it.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:12 pm

hockymvp wrote:The poster above me is correct about the Bald Eagle scenario. Birds can eat the shot. I also happen to work for a Raptor rehabilitation program. You can't use lead on Waterfowl because Raptors eat them. If you wound a bird with lead, and a Raptor eats it because it's an easy meal the lead can get transferred.

While I agree with this, it does point out the absurdity of the no tox rule. Raptors are, for the most part, opportunists, as are most predatory species. A duck wounded with a lead pellet is no different than a pheasant wounded with a lead pellet. But, of course, the feds can't regulate what we shoot for pheasant. And, if the facts are all revealed on a completely level playing field, yes, there is some loss of predators due to lead ingestion, but it is not a non sustainable loss. In other words, it is just more government self justification BS.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:05 pm

Where on the Platte? It's a long river. North or South Platte?
duckman27
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:13 am

I figured it didn't matter, are there seperate rules? I'm on the lower Platte between Plattsmouth and Louisville.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting