How would this boat work

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: How would this boat work

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for sharing olt...sounds like no matter the amount of gear that was lost that day, you still were lucky.

olt d2 wrote: Most duck hunters don't think of themselves as boaters. It just a means to get people and gear from a to b.

olt d2 wrote:always trust your gut feeling in a questionable situations

You hit the nail on the head with the first statement, however, the next statement is contradictory. Not having a base of knowledge as a boater leaves people with no good sense of what is questionable and what isn't questionable.

Last year a buddy of mine was running his 1836 john with 3 guys and gear....you guessed it, the boat swamped. Fortunately for them they were on a strip pit, which are very narrow with no current, and it was November cold, not February cold. They lost a shotgun which they later dredged out and saved. Too often people will push a boat to get just a little bit more in, and at the ramp it is fine but once there is a little wave action, or someone shifts positions, it can be a dangerous problem
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby threedogs » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:37 pm

I flipped a four rivers over too. Arizona January cold 21 degrees. Water temp was ,well above being solid. In the water for over an hour. Lost shotgun, spotlight shells thermos etc. My waders and columbia sportswear kept me from freezing. A frined finally showed up and took me 6 miles to the ramp. I never was scared just pissed off at myself . I sold that pos the very next week.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:41 pm

All three of us to this day feel very lucky we all made it. Some gear was lost that day,but the truly sad thing was it wasn't the first boat that went past us that morning but the second one that saved our lives. The first shined our up turned rig and kept rolling, never even slowed down/stopped to look for people in the water. The "gut feeling" comment was in reference to that I knew better that morning. But chose to not put my foot down and tell the others no.
olt d2
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds