Fellow Waterfowl Hunter Visiting from Seattle... HELP!

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Fellow Waterfowl Hunter Visiting from Seattle... HELP!

Postby schmausr » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Hey guys-

I am going to be missing some of my season here in the Northwest for a business trip to Detroit (actually a town north called Troy). SO... I am thinking about how I can make the best of it and thought I should try hunting in Michigan.

I have Nov 13th and 14th available to go on a trip. I want to get out and experience something different, and would LOVE it if you guys could point me in the right direction.

A few questions for you:

1. Is mid November a reasonable time to hunt ducks in MI? Am I wasting me time?

2. Rumor is Saginaw Bay would be a good location, not far from Troy. Is that accurate? Any other general locations I should look into within and hour or two of Detroit?

3. Can you guys recommend a guide service? <--- This is VITAL

4. I am reading that layout boats and big water hunting is something I have to try, is it?

5. What types of ducks will I be shooting?

6. Is there another activity I should prioritize over duck hunting at this time? eg fishing/goose hunt/etc.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to experiencing Michigan!

Rob
schmausr
hunter

Re: Fellow Waterfowl Hunter Visiting from Seattle... HELP!

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 am

schmausr wrote:1. Is mid November a reasonable time to hunt ducks in MI?
Yes
schmausr wrote:Am I wasting me time?
No

schmausr wrote:2. Rumor is Saginaw Bay would be a good location, not far from Troy. Is that accurate?
Yes
schmausr wrote:Any other general locations I should look into within and hour or two of Detroit?
go here:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_62146-283159--,00.html

schmausr wrote:3. Can you guys recommend a guide service? <--- This is VITAL
I've never used a guide… but you are likely to have a hard time finding one on such short notice.
You can try searching for a guide on Google for Lake St. Clair or Saginaw Bay, they are your best bet for finding a guide.
(Good diver hunting).

schmausr wrote:4. I am reading that layout boats and big water hunting is something I have to try, is it?

Yes, but it is scary and very weather depoendent, you might get there and can't go out. If you want sea ducks I am sure you can find a guide for either of the great lakes on that side of the state, but they maybe booked already.

schmausr wrote:5. What types of ducks will I be shooting?

Depends on location… everything from mallards, woodies, gadwall… to… red heads, bluebills, buffies… to scoters and old squaw
That come down to where you go and who you get as a guide.

schmausr wrote:6. Is there another activity I should prioritize over duck hunting at this time? eg fishing/goose hunt/etc.

No, not really, most fishing (I like) is done by then, and you are only allowed 2 geese a day during that time period.
schmausr wrote:Thanks for your help. Looking forward to experiencing Michigan!

No problem, good luck!
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Re: Fellow Waterfowl Hunter Visiting from Seattle... HELP!

Postby Bad Dog » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:06 am

There is lots of layout hunting on Lake Saint Clair. It is about a 30-45 minutes from Troy. Two layout guides I would try are Joel Piatek at 586 243-0914 and Tom Curtis 586 549-3128. I'm sure there are others as well.
Bad Dog
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting