Should i tell it to them strait?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Should i tell it to them strait?

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Hey guys, Im having some difficulties with my hunting partners. This was the weekend opener and just as i feared, we ended up arguing about the smallest issues. here you go
1. we brought the 2 neighbor bros and all they do is bicker. Alone there fine, but together they just cause minor chaos, hating on eachothers calling, or when to shoot, ext.

2. positioning- we needed another boat for the other 2 ppl we brought today, and they had a problem with our spot and how the boats were sitting. ( safety first, i dont like ppl shooting over my head) and they completely mashed down there spot, Exposing themselves.

3. calling- i practice alot, and no-one else wants to help call ducks, so im stuck calling alone and its not natural for one caller VS. 26 decoys. Both bros called with me today, One blew the call like a damn trumpet, the other used the shaker for very long increments.

4. shooting- with 5 total ppl today, we decided id call " take em " when we should shoot. But everyone decided to just shoot whenever TF they wanted. as a result we ended up with only 3 woodies when many more could have been down.

How do i fix all these things without them taking it the wrong way? Cause i just want everyone to get along so we can shoot some ducks! :help:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Re: Should i tell it to them strait?

Postby TrapperRob » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Hunt alone!!! CLYDE!!! :hammer:
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:50 pm

TrapperRob wrote:Hunt alone!!! CLYDE!!! :hammer:

Nah, cant do that till i have my own decoys and vehicle ;D these guys are like family to me. It seems wrong to leave one or all of them out of something we all really enjoy
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Sounds like every group of friends that have ever hunted together.....

There's always going to be the guy who sucks at calling and the one who shoots someone else's birds or misses easy shots.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:55 pm

1 caller is plenty for 26 decoys. one person can pretty easily overcall for that.

i would just tell em how it is.. to old to put up with that crap.. and i ain't that old..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Well be straight with them then. If you can't forgo going without them then you will have to suck it up. I know how you feel. I've stop hunting with some folks over the same issues. You have your true hunter and your wanna-bes.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:04 pm

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:Sounds like every group of friends that have ever hunted together.....

There's always going to be the guy who sucks at calling and the one who shoots someone else's birds or misses easy shots.

Stop talking about me like I'm not here :-)
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Rules.
1) Eff you
2) sit down, shut up, and quit pie facing
3) Go with the flow or you gotta go.

Calling...Most experienced caller leads. Backups do same thing but not in cadence.
Shooting...if someone shoots out of turn once is a sin. Second time is exile...simple as that..

Clyde. Man up and take control. Tellem whats what and its your way or the highway.
Do not candy coat it at all. That shows weakness on your part. Have hurt feelings reports printed in advance.
Hand them to anyone who whimpers or cries.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby bighop » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Their boats, their decoys, their trucks?

Sounds like you better shut up and thank them for taking you....
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:44 pm

if you are on public water and there is room to bugger off elsewhere...do it....go and buy 1/2dozen dekes and go shoot some ducks. if you arent enjoying the way things are then as has been said man up and change it.
sometimes its better to go it alone till you can find some buddies who will do it right, been there done that and dont hunt/shoot with guys that piss me off as they just ruin the whole shebang.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:31 am

bighop wrote:Their boats, their decoys, their trucks?

X2. Freeloaders don't make the rules. Lol
talltimber
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:47 am

talltimber wrote:
bighop wrote:Their boats, their decoys, their trucks?

X2. Freeloaders don't make the rules. Lol

How did I miss that? This little fact changes everything.
I go in my truck, my boat, my decoys, my dog, and I am the one in charge.
Wont tolerate ANY bs...see rule #3.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:52 am

Seems like I need to.clarify - I have two neighbors i hunt with,well call the brothers jake and jordan, and the other guy Jim ( protecting identities folks) Jim has the truck, I have the boat, and motor, and Jake and Jordan have the decoys. were all essential to eachother .
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:04 am

DuckManClyde wrote:Seems like I need to.clarify - I have two neighbors i hunt with,well call the brothers jake and jordan, and the other guy Jim ( protecting identities folks) Jim has the truck, I have the boat, and motor, and Jake and Jordan have the decoys. were all essential to eachother .

So you guys are the "Voltron" of duck hunting....
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:12 am

DuckManClyde wrote:Seems like I need to.clarify - I have two neighbors i hunt with,well call the brothers jake and jordan, and the other guy Jim ( protecting identities folks) Jim has the truck, I have the boat, and motor, and Jake and Jordan have the decoys. were all essential to eachother .

you have a boat but no truck?????

personally I don't think this is a "fixable" condition...... maybe it is easy to say one persons calling is bad....but it is subjective for sure.. and certainly what spot you pick is subjective... you really cant know which spot would be better unless the groups split up.... and hunted both and both groups had the same quality calling and shooting..... hunting is dynamic. So in the end if you have guys who are professional second guessers...you are Flocked

what you can fix...is guys who show up late.... guys that are unsafe, and guys that bring nothing and quip like crazy...all those guys can sit at home the next trip.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:28 am

Have a meeting at a restaurant. Talk to the guys like men. Tell them your concerns and work it out.
Getting the two brothers to be civil...is a real challenge. If you criticize them they will untite against you.
You have what is called a dilemma.
Two interrelated problems.
1) depending on these guys
2) getting them to work together with you

You have to take charge without needing hurt feelings reports. Its all about your attitude.
You are being too easy on them. Your boat...your law and I dont care what vehicle pulled it.
You are now CAPTAIN CLYDE.
Remember that sir.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:35 am

Quit taking people that have never hunted, or have no skill. They only make more work for you. And besides that, just buy your own gear. Spliting it with buddies is the best way to get screwed.

In the mean time, stop acting like a saint. They are complaining about you too.
t_baker
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:45 am

Seems like the driver of the truck has the say on the highway and what time people should show up. (The owner of the boat may have a say on the time to meet as well because it is attached to the truck)

Owner of the boat has the say on concealment and transportation to the hunting area. Additionally has the say on what area to hunt.

Owner of decoys has the say on decoy set up.

Now the sticky issues, shooting and calling. Now it could be reasonable for the owner of the boat to call the shots and elect a head caller since they are in the property of the boat owner. However some groups take the approach that you have a head caller who also calls the shots, usually it's the person with everyone's interest in mind. Although their are qualifications for this position and usually are: not selfish, works the birds in front for an equal shot for the group, usually one that doesn't express his excitement while working the birds but remains calm and collected, well respected, and has had many years of hunting experience under his belt.

So getting back to the issue, maybe a therapy session at a nice place would be the answer. But do not go all authoritarian on them or you will turn them off, especially since all you own is the boat. (Situation would be different if you owned all the equipment and provided he hunting areas and did all the scouting)

Petty things go on in hunting groups and most hunters who have been doing it for awhile has the quirks. But calling and calling the shot is something that needs to be addressed to put more birds in your bag. Also on the not of shooting, safety is a major concern.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:48 am

How bout this:
tell em that ya'll have different ways that you like to hunt. First flock that comes in, you do it your way. Second flock that comes in, do it their way, ect. One way eventually will work and one way will not. Stick with the way that works and set the ground rules from there. Your in a tough spot, but like others have said, buck up and take control of that blind. In the mean time, get some equipment of your own and start from scratch.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 am

DuckManClyde wrote:
TrapperRob wrote:Hunt alone!!! CLYDE!!! :hammer:

Nah, cant do that till i have my own decoys and vehicle ;D these guys are like family to me. It seems wrong to leave one or all of them out of something we all really enjoy

I agree with Rob on this one. Doesn't matter if they are like family or not, they sound like a pain in the arse. Hunting with jackwagons like that would ruin hunting for me. Go at it alone or get some new friends.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Underradar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:41 am

Pick up some cans, buy two dozen decoys, ditch the brothers. Now you only have to deal with the truck guy.

I want to hear more about the wood duck calling.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:50 am

Sounds like a group massage at a Chinese massage parlor is in order. Couple rubdowns to clear your heads. Could get messy though

Or you could...viewtopic.php?f=4&t=269234

have a calling contest of sorts
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby possumfoot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 am

Underradar wrote:Pick up some cans, buy two dozen decoys, ditch the brothers. Now you only have to deal with the truck guy.

thats exactly what i was thinking..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby bighop » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:22 pm

possumfoot wrote:
Underradar wrote:Pick up some cans, buy two dozen decoys, ditch the brothers. Now you only have to deal with the truck guy.

thats exactly what i was thinking..

Or skip the cans and paint some old milk jugs...
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:23 pm

" Captain Clyde ".....i like the sound of that :thumbsup: I guess along the lines of *EXPERIANCE the brothers got us beat. But i take the sport much more seriously, i actually practice calling/shooting and do my reading on the art of duck hunting. But i think your right guys, the only way to fix it is to tell em strait. Were hanging out this weekend since the folks are going north to close the cabin, that might be the best time to bring it up since i wont be able to go hunting. As for the decoys, I read in outdoor life about the milk jugs with a black stripe. DO THOSE REALLY WORK?? Im assuming they dont actually LAND in them, probably just a visual for the calling. or am i wrong on that one?
DuckManClyde
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole