Duck Hunting Forum banner

High shooting gun

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  clampdaddy 
#1 ·
How high would a gun have to shoot for you to send it in? I patterned mine today to check a choke tube and when I "aim" it at the center of the pattern board its shooting close to 90/10. Kinda seems to me that when the gun is aimed like that it should print closer to 60/40 or 50/50, and then stock shims would be used to fine tune the fit for actual field gunning.

#2 ·
Sounds like a perfect trap gun. If that is with the bead sitting right on top of the rib at 40 yards that would be too high for me. I like 60/40 with my normal mount off hand in a field gun.

#3 ·
Yep , send that SUCKER IN . I know you know how to pattern your gun and if it's shooting that high , somethings wrong ! :mad:

You'll just have to shoot your Silver and with it beening a better gun ( anyhow ) , I don't think you'll miss that piece of Junk ? :lol3:

I won't say , I told you so but , :hammer: ing DUCKS takes a real gun , one you already have ! :yes:

#4 ·
3200 man said:
Yep , send that SUCKER IN . I know you know how to pattern your gun and if it's shooting that high , somethings wrong ! :mad:

You'll just have to shoot your Silver and with it beening a better gun ( anyhow ) , I don't think you'll miss that piece of Junk ? :lol3:

I won't say , I told you so but , :hammer: ing DUCKS takes a real gun , one you already have ! :yes:

Yeah, yeah, yeah Larry. Somehow I knew I was going to catch some guff from you over this one. :lol3: I sent an email to Benelli. Waiting to see what they say. Worst part is that I got an invitation to go on the early goose opener this weekend and all my BB shells ate 3.5" so the Silver will have to stay home. I did ok on dove with the new gun so hitting geese shouldn't be a problem.

#8 ·
Like Force Fetch said, pattern off a rest and make sure you see a flat rib when you line her up.

If you were initially patterning freehand, then you may have a gun fit problem. Your comb may need to be lowered. No way for me to know for sure unless I saw your mount and looked at where your eye is relative to the rib. If you lived close I'd be happy to help you out.

#9 ·
I did pattern it freehand but I did make sure to have a flat rib sight picture with the midbead centerpunching the front bead, not stacked. I did catch myself flinching on one shot, where I pulled the gun down right before the trigger broke. I called the the muffed shot, expecting it to print low.......turns out that it was the only shot that printed perfectly in the center of the paper. :lol3:

#13 ·
Patterned again today at 20 yards, this time from a rest and it was just within Benelli's specs. About 6 inches high at 20 yards. Gun shot to perfect center when quickly point shooting at the paper but when "aimed" it was just way to high so I removed the factory front sight and installed a truglo "fat bead". It looks similar to the factory unit but is quite a bit taller. Shoots about a perfect 60/40 to the sights now, so water swatting cripples or taking a poke at a turkey wont require a low hold. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.