Hunter's are cautioned to properly identify... woodducks may

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Hunter's are cautioned to properly identify... woodducks may

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:46 am

Swamp, I need your help.
Hypothetically speaking of course.

If I took my buddy teal hunting who had taken me fly fishing a bunch who had never been duck hunting before and he shot a Hen Pintail what would you automatically think? If the GW had been waiting for us would he let us explain, point a gun at us and arrest us, or tackle one of us? How does one interpret wanton waste in a situation like this?

Strictly hypothetical, we went over this scenario with my Dad. Dad, "We were spread out standing in the marsh. All of a sudden a flock of 6 or 7 Blue Wings come swooping in low fast and silent from my side headed straight for the mojo in front, perfect shot for everyone else to my left. I dont even have time to get my gun up but I YELL take 'em cuz its the first flock/ volley of the season we cant shoot the darn woodies theres no wind no ripples low tide and I knew we had to be aggressive. They shoot and knock down 2 birds. Everyone saw and said wooohooo blue wings Mr! We go to get the birds with the kayak. 1 is a big fat necked blue wing about 1.5 times the size of a GW, the other is the same size..... but its a small first year Hen Pintail.
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Re: Hunter's are cautioned to properly identify... woodducks

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:00 am

NativeGaelGunna wrote:Swamp, I need your help.
Hypothetically speaking of course.

If I took my buddy teal hunting who had taken me fly fishing a bunch who had never been duck hunting before and he shot a Hen Pintail what would you automatically think? If the GW had been waiting for us would he let us explain, point a gun at us and arrest us, or tackle one of us? How does one interpret wanton waste in a situation like this?

It's not wanton waste it's taking Pintails during closed season.

Oh, he'll let you explain alright, but you'll be pressing down hard on the ticket book to get through all three pieces of carbon paper when you're done.

While you're explaining all of this the G.W. is going to be standing there wondering what the wife is going to fix for dinner later...and with the same interest in your story as listening about the sex life of a Jellyfish :yes:

Strictly hypothetical, we went over this scenario with my Dad. Dad, "We were spread out standing in the marsh. All of a sudden a flock of 6 or 7 Blue Wings come swooping in low fast and silent from my side headed straight for the mojo in front, perfect shot for everyone else to my left. I dont even have time to get my gun up but I YELL take 'em cuz its the first flock/ volley of the season we cant shoot the darn woodies theres no wind no ripples low tide and I knew we had to be aggressive. They shoot and knock down 2 birds. Everyone saw and said wooohooo blue wings Mr! We go to get the birds with the kayak. 1 is a big fat necked blue wing about 1.5 times the size of a GW, the other is the same size..... but its a small first year Hen Pintail.

You'll press down hard again :hi:

Duckphysics has it this way.

Wait 'til you have a flock of 25-30 Canvasback, Redheads and Bluebills together in a knot with the season closed on Canvasback.
Decisions , decisions :wink:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 am

a teal is pretty darn distiguishable in comparision to all other waterfowl. Tedn to buzz the surface more often than other puddlers and the wing beats are a dead give away. Ever seen a teal mixed in a flock with anything else. Dead give away...

When in doubt think twice. mr green jeans has heard every story and will not make an excpetion for you. Kinda like gut/gill hooking a rockfish in the summer or 17 inch puppy drum that is pouring blood. I hate that i have to throw it back instead of keeping it for dinner but it is a definite ticket if caught.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05 pm

lbhansford wrote:a teal is pretty darn distiguishable in comparision to all other waterfowl. Tedn to buzz the surface more often than other puddlers and the wing beats are a dead give away. Ever seen a teal mixed in a flock with anything else. Dead give

I'd agree GW teal are unmistakeable, but not so much a non fully plumed mature fat BW teal about the same size to barely barely smaller than a not fully plumed first year hen pintail. Some pintails migrate early right? I've killed one in October, island gunner has said pintails, shovelers, and blue wings hit the marsh early. I'm telling ya man at 6:53 am when you are standing in the tall reeds and a flock of blue wings come in and a first year small small hen pintail comes in with them they aren't very distinguishable.

I can't think of another possible scenario with such innocence and honest mistake in the debate. no woodies or blacks were deliberately harvested out of season, and no Canvasback was shot on the water too close to another duck or flying with a bunch of redheads.

Out of all mistaken identity honest mistakes with ducks getting shot I think the early season hen pintail takes the cake. It could easily happen to anyone on a blue wing teal hunt
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:05 pm

I know someone, who who knows someone, who knows someone, who shot a hen shoveler in September once. From what I was told the bird was looking away from the shooter thus preventing the bill ID. They too have a huge blue patch and are small. Mistakes happen, you just have to be able to control the outcome as best you can.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Goose how bout these apples --> 1 shot 2 ducks
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:41 pm

are these migratory pintails or native pintails? :clapping:
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:54 pm

I don't know how you people can slep at night?. :no: Rest assured the NSA is tracking your IP address as we speak and you and everybody else who has read this thread is on some G.W. watch list now. Thanks PAL! :mad:

I have to go back to polishing my halo now. :yes:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:55 pm

P.S. Was that east or west of I 95? I hear those guys west of I 95 can't identify ducks. :eek:
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:51 pm

You do the thinking Butch
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:37 am

There's a good bet that someone at NSA duck hunts. Be careful boys, be real careful. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:59 am

NSA Can lick one... they will be going in circle like a dog on its tail until they give up. nice to be sitting behind a Bank firewall that broadcasts false IPs as intrusion prevention.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:41 am

lbhansford wrote:NSA Can lick one... they will be going in circle like a dog on its tail until they give up. nice to be sitting behind a Bank firewall that broadcasts false IPs as intrusion prevention.

:clapping:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby A5Gunner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:47 am

Can I hijack a thread or what!?!? :evilbanana:
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:50 am

No laws have been broken until the man shows up. Then, everything is subject to his/ her interpretation.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:15 am

If thens and hypotheticals. I don't joke about the man, bad juju. Not that I'm scared, but not be conscientious is foolish. But A5, I think you're freaking out mannnn... get outtaaaa heya!

Back to ducks. I have two questions. One for my next adventure and the next strictly business...
1.) Has anyone noticed woodies dont like mojos when there aren't any ripples, and would it be smart to consider holding up on most deeks deployed (including mojos) and go with a couple teal/ mallards, hole, 2 woodies (1 with jerk rig) for the first 37.5 minutes? Next time is really my last time I'll have chance at them at my usual spot and I would like to target them while I can and go for it.

2.) Has anyone seen the full felt flocked black duck floaters?
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:51 am

Other than acorns, I haven't figured out yet what makes a woodie come into the spread or not. In general I think a mojo is good early but once birds see them, they get edumacated fast and the game is up. A jerk string is different and works great all the time when it is calm.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:30 am

My great grandfather was carving full felt flocked black ducks one hundred years ago. He would rub the felt into the wet paint. It was pretty cool to learn they did they kind of stuff back then.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 am

i agree with A5 on that. Jerk string is deadly on a calm beaver pond.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am

Roast me if you wish but a hen woodie looks a lot like a blue wing teal on a foggy field. So I understand the concern. This doesn't mean I can't tell the difference between the two species. Accidents happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:12 pm

i think we can all agree SHtuff happens but its still not gonna get ya far with the man. You might get it dismissed in court but doubt that too.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Yeah. Had there been a game warden I would have been in trouble. I was just saying that not everyone is intentionally breaking laws.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby mdupont » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:16 pm

A5Gunner wrote:Other than acorns, I haven't figured out yet what makes a woodie come into the spread or not.

Acorns, thats what they are calling the little blue pill these days?
2012 Totals
Several bottles of Maker's Mark
4 60 minute IPA
1 90 minute IPA
12 Yuengling
6 Budwiesers
5 Crown and Gingers
mdupont
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:22 pm

mdupont wrote:
A5Gunner wrote:Other than acorns, I haven't figured out yet what makes a woodie come into the spread or not.

Acorns, thats what they are calling the little blue pill these days?

Can't believe this didn't cross my mind earlier.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting