Warm temps and strong winds outta the south all week.

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Warm temps and strong winds outta the south all week.

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Should be great for duck hunting right?

Is this weather really gonna have an effect? I'm thinkin it might be slow for a while but I'm gonna head out least once this week anyways.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Re: Warm temps and strong winds outta the south all week.

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:54 pm

well it sure shouldn't bring any birds down, but whats left of locals should def be around. id say scout hard to find where they hid after this weekends onslaught and you should do well
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Folks were worried that the last cold front might push the teal down, and I know that some have been arriving down south several weeks ago. We still shot primarily teal this weekend, but didn't see many big flocks. Canada geese have been migrating the last couple of weeks, but I would think this weather would slow their progress. The only thing I'm thinking is that we won't have any new birds, and the ones who stayed have probably found refuges or city limits....I'll be scouting, the lake we were on this past weekend is probably 75% evacuated.... :fingerhead:
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby recker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Back in my twenties when I had a job which I could hunt during the week I went to western minnesota alot. I would scout hard and do decent on teal, etc the first few weeks. The key was finding the concentrations if you have time to do it(I dont anymore, kids, soccer, etc). If you dont and just pick any spot it will probably be pretty slow the next few weeks other the the first half hour or so imo.

MNjonboatguy wrote:Folks were worried that the last cold front might push the teal down, and I know that some have been arriving down south several weeks ago. We still shot primarily teal this weekend, but didn't see many big flocks. Canada geese have been migrating the last couple of weeks, but I would think this weather would slow their progress. The only thing I'm thinking is that we won't have any new birds, and the ones who stayed have probably found refuges or city limits....I'll be scouting, the lake we were on this past weekend is probably 75% evacuated.... :fingerhead:
recker
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:13 pm

I found a few VERY small potholes up here that had a few ducks on them before the season started and I'm thinking they may not have gotten hunted last weekend. I brought my canoe up here but I'm thinking I might wanna avoid the bigger sloughs for a while because most likely they got hit hard. I'm going Thursday morning tho so who knows.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:15 pm

I've seen a lot of birds moving South through Chandler. They are rafting up pretty nice in South Dakota, I imagine your guys freeze is going to happen quick this year.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Mort » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm

I hate south winds during hunting season!
Mort
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 pm

wanapasaki wrote:I've seen a lot of birds moving South through Chandler. They are rafting up pretty nice in South Dakota, I imagine your guys freeze is going to happen quick this year.

Nope not...headed to ND in Nov
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting