Legal shooting hours

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Legal shooting hours

Postby Mr.L » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:02 pm

I have often wondered why you can shoot waterfowl 30 minutes before sun rise but have to stop at sunset. It is darker 30 minutes before sunrise so duck identification can be challenging. I have always noticed that about 5 or 10 minutes after sunset is when the ducks really start coming in. This regulation does not make sense to me. I would really like to hear what explanation the feds could give for this. Anybody else ever thought about this?
Mr.L
hunter

Re: Legal shooting hours

Postby blackjacks » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:10 pm

I've heard it cause they don't want you shooting them off their roost. I don't really know though.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Birds knocked down before sunrise become easier to find as time passes. Birds knocked down as the sun sets become more difficult to recover as time passes.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:32 pm

It's 30 minutes after sunset at catahoula. Well that's what 50% of the hunters out there think
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Assault » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Birds knocked down before sunrise become easier to find as time passes. Birds knocked down as the sun sets become more difficult to recover as time passes.

I agree with u

If its up high, it's coming to the ground
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
Assault
hunter

Postby Toledo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Its one of those old school rules like baiting that was put in place to remove things that are just too effective. Allowing roosting would most likely drive all remaining birds out of an area. I support it but it sure would be nice if there were an exception to the last evening of each split.
Toledo
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Toledo wrote:Its one of those old school rules like baiting that was put in place to remove things that are just too effective. Allowing roosting would most likely drive all remaining birds out of an area. I support it but it sure would be nice if there were an exception to the last evening of each split.

Yep. What he said^^^
I also wish there was an exception on some WMAs and NWRs allowing hunting past noon. Especially when there is a sanctuary where no hunting or boating is allowed. It doesnt take long for the ducks to figure out they are safe when the clock strikes noon. Theyll sit in the sanctuary all morning and pour in hunting areas afternoon. I understand and support the purpose. But it would make for a grand finale if these regulations were lifted the last day of the season.
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Mr.L wrote:I have often wondered why you can shoot waterfowl 30 minutes before sun rise but have to stop at sunset. It is darker 30 minutes before sunrise so duck identification can be challenging. I have always noticed that about 5 or 10 minutes after sunset is when the ducks really start coming in. This regulation does not make sense to me. I would really like to hear what explanation the feds could give for this. Anybody else ever thought about this?

I never thought much about it because what Rick Hall said seemed so obvious to me.

Then I thought a lot about it a lot while I was searching for ducks knocked down by other hunters (my predecessor and a colleague from Illinois) in Saskatchewan in 2007, where it is legal to shoot until a half-hour after sunset, and I thought what a stupid idea it was to shoot that late in the habitat we were hunting (cattail-rimmed marsh).

I also thought about it a lot while watching some wood duck roost-shooters picking up less than half the wood ducks they knocked down on the Atchafalaya Delta WMA.

Now, I don't think about it much because although there are certainly places and groups of hunters for which it would be no problem at all, I will NEVER support it as a general rule. Further, I think we need better enforcement of evening shooting hours. For me, it's that simple.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:22 am

Years ago it was legal to shoot the 30 min. after. During the slack years of reduced limits and 30 day seasons they took away both the 30 before and after but only gave back the 30 before. Losing it was only a problem when I worked day shift. Used to could work till 4:00 and still get a quick hunt in. It never seemed to run the ducks off of a place they wanted to be.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:Years ago it was legal to shoot the 30 min. after. During the slack years of reduced limits and 30 day seasons they took away both the 30 before and after but only gave back the 30 before. Losing it was only a problem when I worked day shift. Used to could work till 4:00 and still get a quick hunt in. It never seemed to run the ducks off of a place they wanted to be.

Where and how many years ago?

I just checked Louisiana regulations pamphlets from 1968, 1972-2013, and there was never a season where shooting hours on ducks extended beyond sunset in Louisiana. Only In 1988 was shoot time at SUNRISE rather than half-hour before, but we have not been allowed to shoot past sunset since at least 1968.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:32 pm

I thought you were supposed to turn back your watch 30 minutes after lunch for an evening hunt?????????? Well it would actually be 40 minutes if you forgot to turn it back down the 10 minutes from your morning hunt. These things get so confusing. :grooving:
POKER1
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Lreynolds wrote:
A5Mag12 wrote:Years ago it was legal to shoot the 30 min. after. During the slack years of reduced limits and 30 day seasons they took away both the 30 before and after but only gave back the 30 before. Losing it was only a problem when I worked day shift. Used to could work till 4:00 and still get a quick hunt in. It never seemed to run the ducks off of a place they wanted to be.

Where and how many years ago?

I just checked Louisiana regulations pamphlets from 1968, 1972-2013, and there was never a season where shooting hours on ducks extended beyond sunset in Louisiana. Only In 1988 was shoot time at SUNRISE rather than half-hour before, but we have not been allowed to shoot past sunset since at least 1968.

That's how I recall it! Got a ticket on Catahoula for shooting too early in 1988 for teal season. My one and only waterfowl violation. 9 minutes early to be exact. Guns were blazing all around us. Sounded like a war! Finally we said .... it and started blazing. Guy next to us with a dog and a gun was a federal game warden. Ruined my day... :yes:
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby Assault » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 am

DC KILLER wrote:
Toledo wrote:Its one of those old school rules like baiting that was put in place to remove things that are just too effective. Allowing roosting would most likely drive all remaining birds out of an area. I support it but it sure would be nice if there were an exception to the last evening of each split.

Yep. What he said^^^
I also wish there was an exception on some WMAs and NWRs allowing hunting past noon. Especially when there is a sanctuary where no hunting or boating is allowed. It doesnt take long for the ducks to figure out they are safe when the clock strikes noon. Theyll sit in the sanctuary all morning and pour in hunting areas afternoon. I understand and support the purpose. But it would make for a grand finale if these regulations were lifted the last day of the season.

Cat island NWR is one of them
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
Assault
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting