Central Alberta trip

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Central Alberta trip

Postby cj6530 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:04 am

Hi,

I have a trip planned from Oct 5th-12th NE of Red deer AB. This is my first waterfowl trip to Canada and I plan to focus on ducks. Is this to early for migrators? I am getting conflicting opinions. Most past guide reports seem to note that the end of October is when the migrators come down. In short......is the second week of Oct to early to come up to Alberta to hunt ducks? The current 2 week weather report for Northern Alberta seems sunny and warm.
cj6530
Newb

Re: Central Alberta trip

Postby bobalong » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:42 pm

They have been hammering ducks in the central area ever since the opening. The peak for the big migrators really depends on the weather up north, I think you should do well then. The duck hunting in the central area has been great for the past few years actually. I am not sure what the weather has been like up north but we are seeing more ducks and snows now than I have in the past few years, at least a couple of weeks earlier than usual.
bobalong
hunter

Postby bobalong » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:21 pm

I went for a drive from Edmonton to Lloydminster today and there were birds everywhere. Never saw so many snows here this early.....not sure what is going on with that, but its good. Called the cousin today about a shoot down home for Saturday morning and he said he has 2 lined up.

Also got a call from my buddy from down home today, he has about 1000 or so on his peas, greys, whites and ducks. He said this week the birds have been piling in and most of the crops are off, perfect timing. Looking forward to this weekend. If the weather holds for October, its going to be an awesome month coming up!!!!
bobalong
hunter

Postby DkKiller » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:43 am

I concur with Bobalong. I hunted last week 2 1/2 southeast of Edmonton and ducks were very easy to limit on, specks were easy, actually everything was easy to limit on. Outfit I was with said the same thing. Migration is much much earlier. We had plenty of snows to chase when normally they would show up 3 weeks later. Water in that area is excellent. LOTS of BIRDS. you will have a great time.
DkKiller
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:02 pm

The pea shoot at the buddies place on the weekend was pretty good, never got to many whites but quite a few greys and lots of ducks.
bobalong
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting