Teal

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Teal

Postby LowcountryGamecock » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Hey guys, I live and hunt in the lowcountry of South Carolina and we've been suffering this season from LTNS (Low Teal Numbers Syndrome). As far as I'm aware the solution to LTNS is to diagnose and see whether the teal are bottlenecked further up the flyway or if they have simply passed us by. My question is: I don't want to know where exactly in NC you hunt, but are y'all seeing teal like you normally do? They haven't really been here yet in decent numbers, but I feel like there may be a few on the move soon. If I'm wrong then oh well, marsh hen season is in too. Again, I don't care where you hunt. If you have reliable reports from further up the flyway that would be great. Thanks!
LowcountryGamecock
hunter

Re: Teal

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:58 pm

The first weekend where I hunted there were lower than usual but a huntable amount of teal. The second weekend I hunted there seemed to either be more teal or less hunters. They were leaving by the second Wednesday in my area. Not sure about other areas in n.c. The numbers were lower all around compared to last year. Florida is my home state and in central Florida there's usually a good teal shoot opening day. This year my family said they only shot a couple. But just a couple days before their opener they scouted 90 teal just on their hole... I talked to a guy in s.c on the coast and he told me he saw about 700 teal on one of the plantations and managed a limit by 0900. I feel they pushed quickly through all the states. Maybe they chose another fly away this year.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby TooTall » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Last year was a fraction of the year before. This year, another fraction of last year. I just haven't seen many teal at all. Saw around 100 on the opener, and nothing near that many since.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:14 pm

The fishing has been way too good to even think about teal. Let me know when the scoters and blackheads show up. In the meantime I have trout and puppy drum to catch.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby LowcountryGamecock » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm with you trigger22. Fishing has been pretty good down here too. I'll see a couple groups early (generally before LST), but that's about it. I'll still be doing a cast and blast Saturday but I may sleep in, fish, then shoot some marsh hen. Thanks for the responses guys!
LowcountryGamecock
hunter

Postby Junior Duck Commander » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:17 pm

yeah, fishing is too good right now to go hunting. caught some big drum tonight, the drum are heading out if you want to get a couple more before they are gone. buddy was fishing near pamlico point today and saw some people sky blasting teal in the impoundments.
Junior Duck Commander
hunter

Postby pamlicopounder » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Had better hunts this week than all season. we shot 15 the other day but if you didnt know where to look you never knew they were there. :huh:
pamlicopounder
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting