Opinion: How close is too close to set up?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Re: Opinion: How close is too close to set up?

Postby koonce727 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:44 am

Close enough to where I can shoot the hens that decoy to your spread :biggrin:
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:06 pm

send the dog wrote:The people that determine the health, population, and future for migratory game birds and other game also work for the government. I don't know about you, but, i don't put a whole lot of faith in a government that i do not trust.

Yes... the government is feeding us information that is actually killing off the duck population.. but they put bag limits to fool everyone to think they are actually doing something to protect them, because they somewhat limit us. Got it.

Pass the tinfoil, my ball cap isn't going to work for this.
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby send the dog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:45 pm

mikeg1005 wrote:
send the dog wrote:The people that determine the health, population, and future for migratory game birds and other game also work for the government. I don't know about you, but, i don't put a whole lot of faith in a government that i do not trust.

Yes... the government is feeding us information that is actually killing off the duck population.. but they put bag limits to fool everyone to think they are actually doing something to protect them, because they somewhat limit us. Got it.

Pass the tinfoil, my ball cap isn't going to work for this.

Ever heard of "earn-a-buck"? Now, that was a great government idea wasn't it? Just because they pour the kool-aid, doesn't mean you have to drink it.
send the dog
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:17 pm

send the dog wrote:Ever heard of "earn-a-buck"? Now, that was a great government idea wasn't it? Just because they pour the kool-aid, doesn't mean you have to drink it.

I agree, thats why in addition to shooting hens, I over bag, shoot lead, hunt before and after LST, and bait my favorite spots with corn.

Bunch of ham-handed government morons think they know whats best? Either they should be right all the time, or just pack up and go home.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:33 pm

ho hum....you guys dont know just how lucky you are to have someone TRYING to MANAGE your game herds..... I bet you would all be crying in your milk if the venison hawks got stuck in with hughes 500s and decimated your deer numbers till you were lucky to spook a deer in one outing out of three. been there done that.your country men nearly wiped out your ducks back in the market hunting days and THAT my good man is what started the management you are so fond of bitching about.your countrymen did the same with buffalo/bison and there were a hell of alot less guys hunting then with less techno advantage.
suck it up buddy its for the good of all
if you cant abide by the rules shift to somewhere that suits your idea of what you want or take up golf.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby DKMF » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Hey don't mess with the guys that have the two time world war championship under their belts...Foreigner!
DKMF
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:02 am

and who was there alongside your men at those times????
before you in the 2nd case in fact????
Im not knocking the good ol USA just pointing out the facts as they are....the rules were made to try and look after YOUR resource,
without the good work done you guys wouldnt have game left to shoot at PERIOD.
its like guys bitching about killing power of steel....ask them how many rounds they fire...2 or 3 boxes...suggest they buy a heavi alternative instead and they moan about the price yet will happily spend 2-$300 on booze and gas for the weekend.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby mikebosmans » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:03 am

So...Eh... How close is too close?
mikebosmans
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:30 am

When a duck swings around to take a look at your neighbors spread and it's almost in range... Your too close haha you can thank me for pointing out the obvious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby triggertime » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:42 am

I have hunted the mississipi for 8 years and i have noticed you get the first big push of pussys first 2 weeks in oct then they thin out. i scout scout scout. i find out what birds want and will leave hours b4 the first boat. I am always the first guy on the marsh end up setting up light and going to bed. Even with the pressure i shoot limits, just need to know how to do it. I know peoples boats and who skybusts. I never set up on anyone try keep my distance at least 300 yards at that range shot wont hurt you. With shows like duck dynasty everyone thinks they can duck hunt and it kinda sicking. Weekend warriors is what i call them lol. I had a situation in Kansas when i was stationed thier. Kansas does alot for waterfowl the had planted a corn feild harvested it and then flooeded it and it was load with birds. I new it was gonna get hit hard by people to. so i showed up at 8pm the night before and set up my light and went to sleep well when i woke up at 5 i was surrounded and i no crap had a guy 50 yards off my decoys in the landing zone. My buddy walked out to tell them they were to close and they needed to move and they were like were you want me to go. They got in a heated debate and i walked out to cool it down. i told them to move up and hunt with us and look the other way they could have birds from that way and vs verse. actually worked out good and they left 2 hours after opener. If people would work togther on it and talk we might beable to work it out. I also think the dnr need to come out and see who sets up next to each other and measure it out and give tikets that would put the hurt on some ppl.
triggertime
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:49 am

plurry good idea trigger. we have a 90yrd rule over here and I havent seen it needed to be enforced YET. funny our shot size is limited to energy of a lead#BB at 90 yards too. guess the 2 are tied together.
co operation with each other can go a long way to solving issues too.
the best one Ive heard was back in the day when it was illegal to bait for birds the ranger would go see the disputing groups carrying a small bag of barley and tell the guys they had 5 minutes to sort it out or he would bait the ground making area unhuntable..apparently he never needed to follow through with it :thumbsup:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Previous

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting