Stripers and Sea Ducks

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Stripers and Sea Ducks

Postby cedar creek sam » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Time to start looking for scoters, etc. on the Sound? I'm new to the area and ready to learn a bit about sea duckin' in the area. Any other afficianados of the scoter and Old Squaw in the area? A few of us still remember Nelson Bryant's reports of sea duckin' off of Guilford.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Re: Stripers and Sea Ducks

Postby Ithaca33 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:40 am

The last few years I haven't seen scoter in large numbers until January. There are some out there now I'd guess but we usually don't chase them until late dec/jan.

As for stripers, my boss caught a 44" striper from a canoe 100 yards off shore last week!
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks, very interesting. We get them off the NJ coast starting in early October, with lots of Old Squaws coming in during November and December.

Will let you know what we find off the mouth of the Conn. river if the fishing trips materializes next week.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:41 am

I'm a big Nelson Bryant fan. I noticed the Dutchess County DU chapter is auctioning an interview with him at their event this weekend. Here's a good story from him about the hunting I did as a kid off Guilford. Orrin Jones was a little older than I, and Dixon Merkt a little older still. I did a charter with Dixon a few years back out of Old Lyme. Schoolies at the mouth of the river, albies at the Sluiceway, and blues/ striper in the Gut. Dixon also wrote the authoritative biography of Shang Wheeler. We called scoter coot, and bluebills broadbills.

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/12/15/sport ... -prey.html

How you doin Pat?
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:59 am

Ah, talked to Dixon last night so I'll keep all posted.
CC SAM

cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:05 am

Are you going out with him? Tell him Kevin Clark from Sachem's Head says hi.
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Good to hear from you Kev! Getting out at all for geese? I'm heading up to New Hampshire next week for 10 days of hunting ducks, pheasant, and grouse!
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:39 am

Wow, that's awesome. What part of NH? I'm headed to VT this weekend for the grouse opener. Have not been out for geese.
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Ithaca33...I'm going to the Pittsburg area next weekend with a buddy for grouse we hope. The teal opener is coming up in N. NJ soon after, too. waiting to hear from Dixon re the fishing, too....

Unfortunately My Model 37 is still in Montana as it arrived late for the hunt there.
CC SAM

cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Sam, did you move from ocean county?

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm not too far from there Sam. I just got settled in near piermont.

I wanted to do something fun this year so i brought up my 12ga model 37 for ducks/geese and the 20ga model 37 my uncle just passed down to me for all other upland game. It'll be an Ithaca kind of year.

Ill post some pics tomorrow after we get in.
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:33 am

I'm still going to be hunting Barnegat and hopefully the Sound a bit too. Still a NJ resident, but now have a place near our daughter in Ct. to it's going to be back and forth depending on weather, family, etc. Spent too little time near Pittsburg, NH but did find some woodcock....
CC SAM

cedar creek sam
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting