Teal Huntin' and Snakes

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Teal Huntin' and Snakes

Postby ok_ark_ducknut » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:03 am

Yesterday, a couple of good buddies and I went out a local WDU to hunt some of those Teal. They flew fast and EARLY and we missed the group that did our decoys (due to bad shooting and being way to close to those birds for our loads to pattern right)! There were TONS of Woodies flying later but all the Teal were done flying by 8:00 AM. :mad: :mad: So, after walking the unit, falling into a BEAVER RUN in HIP WADERS :mad: :mad: :mad: the guys and I picked up and started for the truck. As we were walking, we noticed my buddy's black lab was limping ... favoring her front right paw. We noticed it was swelling with each step she took, too. As we drove home, it continued swelling ... all the way up to her shoulder! He carried her to the vet and he found not one but TWO snake bites! :crying: :crying: That TOUGH DOG didn't complain a bit, either ... not a sound from her during the hunt or AFTER! Vet says she should be okay after a few days but makes us all question the worth of chasing them EARLY TEAL! Is the risk worth or greater than the reward? Anyone else have this experience? Wear thick pants and watch for snakes, boys! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
ok_ark_ducknut
hunter

Re: Teal Huntin' and Snakes

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:13 am

I hunt out of a hybrid, very low to the water. Was laying back in it Friday morning and something to my left caught MT attention, cottonmouth swimming straight towards my boat. That was the 1st of two that morning and hit another Saturday. Dont have a dog and wouldn't use one anyway till temps fall. We've also got some gators around here.

Blessings,
Rick
Last edited by DucknGoodTime on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby ok_ark_ducknut » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:35 am

Did you shoot them once you saw 'em?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
ok_ark_ducknut
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:38 am

Yea, I've had a dog get bit by a copperhead in the face. She was fine after a couple of weeks. Dogs are able to withstand snake bites much better than humans. Rattle snakes are a bit more of an issue for a dog from what I'm told. I just bought 10 acres where I am building a house and my buddy planted a quail for training his 4 month old griffon and to our dismay he had planted the quail right by a large copperhead and when she went in to sniff and point she got struck on the muzzle as well. Fortunately, my buddy didn't get bit when he planted the bird. And luckily, it was a "dry bite" (which copperheads sometimes do to simply warn their victim), so she didn't even swell much. I have been told by the neighbors where I'm building that Pigmy Rattlesnakes also have recently been spotted in the area. Kind of worries me about my kids and dogs (and myself for that matter). I am out running my dogs before the sun comes up 6 out of the 7 days of the week and they often get runs in the evenings as well. Glad your buddies dog is going to be fine.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:43 am

Buddy and I were hunting opening day of teal and got practically surrounded by snakes as we waded through the water. Luckily they were harmless watersnakes and not mocasins but needless to say we hunted from the bank that day. I still take the dog
BoomStick79
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:59 am

ok_ark_ducknut wrote:Did you shoot them once you saw 'em?

Two got shot as they were coming towards the boat
The 3rd just passed by and was too close to my dekes for a shot.

Blessings,
Rick
Last edited by DucknGoodTime on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Biologist at my favorite WDU told me that last year he killed at least 30 moccasins while he was digging in old riprap to install/fix piping to pump a unit for teal season. And I KNOW he knows what a moccasin is. Too many people swear they see moccasins when they are harmless water snakes. (Mostly non-outdoorspeople - not questioning anybody above).

Buddy who hunts with me doesn't take his dog (to several spots) until real duck season because of snakes. Don't blame him. Snakes are my biggest "issue" when looking for rail. You do a LOT of walking through taller flooded grass. Kinda gives me the willies. ahat's why I still wear my 3.5 mil neoprenes, even as hot as they are; I am hoping they would keep a moccasin from getting through them to me?
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:28 pm

DW I'm no kind of expert but I spent the better part of 50 of my 57 years hunting and fishing in and around swamps along the coast and I wouldn't want to trust 3.5s up against a large adult cottonmouth or rattlesnake.

Blessings,
Rick
Last edited by DucknGoodTime on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Dug up a winter copperhead den last February while laying gravity sewer, had to be at least 20. Inspector pulled up to me banging away on the snakes with a 220 kamatsu excavator bucket. :hammer:
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:29 pm

DucknGoodTime wrote:DW I'm no kind of expert but I spent the better part of 50 of my 57 years hunting and fishing in and around swamps along the coast and I wouldn't want to trust 3.5s up against a large adult cottonmouth or rattlesnake.

Sounds like we have a lot in common.....I'm no expert either :lol3: , and I spent a good portion of my 50+ years on the coast also, though I bet a different coast. Originally came from Maryland; family did a lot of commercial fishing, and we ONLY duck hunted.

Anyway, on the 3.5s: I'd love to hunt the way I would much prefer (regarding the heat) and wear very thin breathable waders, or none at all with instead jeans/long pants to keep leeches off and/or not get scratched up by flora.

While, I realize I'm not invincible in neoprenes, I have to think I have a better chance should a snake strike me. First, there is that neoprene thickness they gotta penetrate. Second, neoprenes aren't laying flush against your leg, so if a snake hit, I'm hoping between the thickness of the neoprene (and maybe underlying pant layer) and any "loose" air space, maybe I won't get pumped full of venom?? Again, I know neoprenes ain't chaps, but what else can one do to protect yourself in this type situation? Do they make snake chaps that cover the entirety of your leg? (I really never looked into it). Because one is in water varying from 2 inches to two feet means most normal snake chaps just don't work.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby ok_ark_ducknut » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 pm

I agree with DW ... Maybe it is naïveté or just plain stupidity but I figure jeans and waders is a lot for even a full grown snake to bite through! Don't get me wrong, my experience the other day is making me re-think chasing early teal but man, it's an itch that needs scratching! I'm in a bind here! What other options are there? Leather pants (like that dude from The Doors) and waders? Full legged snake boots? I dunno! These snakes are giving me the willies!!!

ok_ark_ducknut
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:44 am

DW , you might be well protected with the 3.5's. It would probably take one thats grown to the upper side of the record 6ft to have the bite pressure and fang length to puncture skin as well as the 3.5's. And depending on the brand of snake chaps they would cover from the top of the foot up to the upper thighs, again depending on the model.
I was looking around for some new rubber boots since I found mine were breaking apart and saw where Cabelas is selling snake proof rubber boots. I generally never wear waders during teal, its either rubber boots or tennis shoes. I really should wear something better since 99% of the time always hunt alone and usually paddling quite a ways.
And yep my coast was the Gulf coast from Houston to Louisiana.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby razorback » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:37 pm

DucknGoodTime wrote:I hunt out of a hybrid, very low to the water. Was laying back in it Friday morning and something to my left caught MT attention, cottonmouth swimming straight towards my boat. That was the 1st of two that morning and hit another Saturday. Dont have a dog and wouldn't use one anyway till temps fall. We've also got some gators around here.

Blessings,
Rick
http://www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/

I assume you aren't hunting in OK. Gators?
razorback
hunter

Postby razorback » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:39 pm

DucknGoodTime wrote:I hunt out of a hybrid, very low to the water. Was laying back in it Friday morning and something to my left caught MT attention, cottonmouth swimming straight towards my boat. That was the 1st of two that morning and hit another Saturday. Dont have a dog and wouldn't use one anyway till temps fall. We've also got some gators around here.

Blessings,
Rick

razorback
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:04 pm

razorback wrote:

Blessings,
Rick

I wondered the same thing, but after some research I discovered that deep SE OK has some gators. There is even an article on the OK DEPT of Wildlife website about them. So,I suppose its possible this gentleman has to deal with them here in ok.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:30 am

My brother killed this opening morning stashing the boat. Nearly 5' Timber rattler on the mud flat. Big thing we worry about are the cottonmouths. If one of those 4 ft boys get you 3.5 are not going to stop them. They get as big as a mason jar in the middle and are 4 1/2" across the head. No confusing them with a water snake. But for every 4' cottonmouth there is 20 smaller ones around. And to reply to an earlier post. about 12 miles down river from the slough we are on here I watched a 3-4 ' gator in the edge of the grass for 20 minutes while fishing.
Attachments
1208961_10151870819264170_816506585_n[1].jpg
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:24 am

If that really is a timber rattler, you probably don't want to talk about it on a public forum. I'm pretty sure they are a protected species.
petrotk40
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:07 am

I've shot two copperheads so far. The only good snake is a dead one.
coach_1
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:48 am

coach_1 wrote:I've shot two copperheads so far. The only good snake is a dead one.

petrotk40
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 pm

razorback wrote:

Blessings,
Rick

Yes, I am hunting Oklahoma, Lake Texoma mainly. Last year they caught a 3 footer chasing a dog around the front yard in Cartwright, east side of Texoma. There's been some seen in the Washita river at the north end of the lake by Ft. Washita.

Blessings,
Rick
www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:03 pm

I wore waiters and luckily have not seen any snakes yet around NE ok. Surprised!!

If I don't have my waiters it's snake boots.

This morning launching the boat a sunken branch came out of the water and I about %^%% thinking it was a huge anaconda or something lol
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Jerkstring wrote:My brother killed this opening morning stashing the boat. Nearly 5' Timber rattler on the mud flat. Big thing we worry about are the cottonmouths. If one of those 4 ft boys get you 3.5 are not going to stop them. They get as big as a mason jar in the middle and are 4 1/2" across the head. No confusing them with a water snake. But for every 4' cottonmouth there is 20 smaller ones around. And to reply to an earlier post. about 12 miles down river from the slough we are on here I watched a 3-4 ' gator in the edge of the grass for 20 minutes while fishing.

Will those rubber hip waders stop a 4 foot cottonmouth? Serious question?

Oh, and after about killing myself yesterday wearing neoprenes walking around "potentially cottonmouth infested waters" for 4 hours chasing rail, and seeing one (harmless) snake......I am wearing breathables this weekend. 2% chance of being bitten by a bigger cottonmouth, or sure death by heart attack. What's a man to do??????
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:20 pm

after reading this I'm never duck hunting again :eek:
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:18 am

DucknGoodTime wrote:
razorback wrote:

Blessings,
Rick

Yes, I am hunting Oklahoma, Lake Texoma mainly. Last year they caught a 3 footer chasing a dog around the front yard in Cartwright, east side of Texoma. There's been some seen in the Washita river at the north end of the lake by Ft. Washita.

Blessings,
Rick

This area is where I saw the 4' gator in the Washita River. Been a couple of news reports of a few large ones seen by locals in the Cumberland Cut area west of Ft Washita but I figure some Keystone Light helped them get that big. Some wild looking areas in there though could be. Those hip waders didn't even stop the water as my brother had already found out lol. The boot would probably stop a strike but I doubt the wader part would except in the seam area
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:42 am

petrotk40 wrote:If that really is a timber rattler, you probably don't want to talk about it on a public forum. I'm pretty sure they are a protected species.

Not sure where you found that info your passing. They are legal to hunt or kill in the case of nuisance as far I know.
Jerkstring
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting