Teal Huntin' and Snakes

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Teal Huntin' and Snakes

Postby petrotk40 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Jerkstring wrote:
petrotk40 wrote:If that really is a timber rattler, you probably don't want to talk about it on a public forum. I'm pretty sure they are a protected species.

Not sure where you found that info your passing. They are legal to hunt or kill in the case of nuisance as far I know.

It's illegal to kill them in Texas

Although many timber rattlers meet their deaths at the hands of people or by automobiles, the fastest way to kill timber rattlesnake populations is by destroying or altering the places they need to hunt, hibernate and live. Today, every state inhabited by timber rattlesnakes has laws protecting the species, including Texas. In Texas, it is listed as a threatened species. This means that people cannot take, transport, have in their possession or sell timber rattlesnakes.
petrotk40
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:58 pm

petrotk40 wrote:
Jerkstring wrote:
petrotk40 wrote:If that really is a timber rattler, you probably don't want to talk about it on a public forum. I'm pretty sure they are a protected species.

Not sure where you found that info your passing. They are legal to hunt or kill in the case of nuisance as far I know.

It's illegal to kill them in Texas

Although many timber rattlers meet their deaths at the hands of people or by automobiles, the fastest way to kill timber rattlesnake populations is by destroying or altering the places they need to hunt, hibernate and live. Today, every state inhabited by timber rattlesnakes has laws protecting the species, including Texas. In Texas, it is listed as a threatened species. This means that people cannot take, transport, have in their possession or sell timber rattlesnakes.

Rattlesnake Dates
& Daily Limits
March 1-June 30, 2014.
The following reptiles are legal to harvest with
no daily limit: prairie rattlesnake, western diamondback
rattlesnake, timber rattlesnake and
massasauga.

I found this in the ODWC hunting guide for 2013-2014. I had no idea Texas was that different on the snake laws. Thanks for the info.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:26 am

Was scouting a spot this past weekend and almost stepped on this bad boy and his friend
Need to do some more snake avoidance with the pup. He got popped in the leg
BoomStick79
hunter

Previous

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting