Including Lost Game In Limit

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Including Lost Game In Limit

Postby mauserfan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:24 pm

I am posing a simple question to all as I have not seen addressed here: Do you include any lost game (game not found) in your bag limit? I appreciate your replies as this is a very real topic. If this is already posted somewhere please educate me on it. Thanks a lot....mauser. :thumbsup:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Re: Including Lost Game In Limit

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Of course not.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Are you a cop?

You have to tell me, otherwise it is entrapment.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:31 pm

MarkM wrote:Are you a cop?

You have to tell me, otherwise it is entrapment.

:lol:

x2, though.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby mauserfan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:34 pm

MarkM- No, not a cop. I do count all birds shot in my limit. I did not start out this way but eventually realized that a bird taken is a bird taken-if delivered to hand or not. I started doing this about 25 years ago. I'm not being critical of those that don't but, this isn't a bad idea. Thanks.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:36 pm

No lost game doesnt count towards bag limit

At a couple public areas for dove hunting they actually have a box on the kill card you turn in for "lost birds" i guess just to see how many are lost

I give it a good long hard looking before giving up Now i can say though i have counted lose game before towards my bag limit.. Normally the end of the day, just needing one, we've been waiting for just that one for a while, then someone or I say well I'm good we killed our limit today we just couldnt find it
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:37 pm

mauserfan wrote: I do count all birds shot in my limit. I did not start out this way but eventually realized that a bird taken is a bird taken-if delivered to hand or not.

The Indians might disagree with you on that one!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:42 pm

The time I got in trouble I lost a teal...I didn't count that teal...it was gone. I looked and looked.

Later I shot my last duck, a drake mallard and guess what? It crashed right on top of that teal. Uh oh..I found it.
Now I got seven...oh chit oh chit!!! I could NOT leave that teal or I would have been ticketed for wanton waste.

Yeah...I got cracked for that.

This topic is a two edged sword so take it with a grain of salt.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby t_baker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:44 pm

aunt betty wrote:The time I got in trouble I lost a teal...I didn't count that teal...it was gone. I looked and looked.

Later I shot my last duck, a drake mallard and guess what? It crashed right on top of that teal. Uh oh..I found it.
Now I got seven...oh chit oh chit!!! I could NOT leave that teal or I would have been ticketed for wanton waste.

False bottom gas tank.
t_baker
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:45 pm

t_baker wrote:
aunt betty wrote:The time I got in trouble I lost a teal...I didn't count that teal...it was gone. I looked and looked.

False bottom gas tank.

Shove it down the leg of your pants and tell the warden that you sure are happy to see him.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Who's to say that the 'lost' bird that you thought you took didn't get up and fly away? Then you screwed yourself...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:49 pm

If it is dove I don't count lost ones for my limit. I shoot until I have 15.

Duck is a different story. If I can't find them on the water then I shouldn't be hunting.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:51 pm

I had been shooting limits daily and jealous hunters called the gw on me. He watched me the whole morning. There was NO stomping it or hiding it. It was a suck deal but jealous hunters who liked to sleep in and come to the spot late were very angry because I was setting up at 1 AM and sleeping in my boat. I was ON THE X and everyone was pissed. So they got mister greenjeans to take care of me...They got me good.

I got them back though...I publish every year HOW to do the exact thing I did. Heck, everyone does it.
Blind 16 at the fish hook baby! GO do it! Be aware the locals WILL call the gw on you for shooting their ducks.
aunt betty

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:52 pm

MarkM wrote:If it is dove I don't count lost ones for my limit. I shoot until I have 15.

Duck is a different story. If I can't find them on the water then I shouldn't be hunting.

Ever had a wounded one dive on you and then never come back up again?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:54 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
MarkM wrote:If it is dove I don't count lost ones for my limit. I shoot until I have 15.

Ever had a wounded one dive on you and then never come back up again?

They have a hard time doing that in the river. I have seen them dive but I can always find them trying to get up on the bank or sandbars.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:00 pm

i bet on average we lose 1 per hunt. They out run the dogs, get in the marsh grass dive and are gone everynow and then you can go back to the area and find them once they died or if they come up... But if they dive a grab ahold of something and stay down they gone....
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:04 pm

If you hit a bird and it doesn't come down, but you know you hit it, probably far back, and it will likely die after flying out of sight, do you count that bird?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 pm

I do include lost birds in my limit. I also do 'week' limits.

Let's say the daily bag limit is 7. I hunt mon wed and fri of a given week. Mon i only shoot 5 ducks. Tue I only shoot 6 ducks. So if possible, I shoot 10 ducks on Fri just to even things out.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 pm

i_willie12 wrote:i bet on average we lose 1 per hunt. They out run the dogs, get in the marsh grass dive and are gone everynow and then you can go back to the area and find them once they died or if they come up... But if they dive a grab ahold of something and stay down they gone....
American Bald Eagles eat the ducks I lose down south. Plain and simple. I feel good about that.

I've found ducks other people shot and put it in my unfilled bag but if I have my limit ignore them.
Once I found six hen mallards in a small area searching for the one Drake I shot. There's a whole lotta duck wasting out there and it's sad. Them hens were all moldy and rotten. (gross)
aunt betty

Postby mauserfan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Bill Herian - Yes it would be included. As would be birds that dive, sail off and ones that are just not found in the weeds. As far as birds diving and holding on, I have witnessed this first hand with both a Mallard and a Pintail. We recovered both birds as I was close when they dove and the water was shallow and clear enough to see them holding on to weeds below the surface. Until this happened, I always thought that my dad was telling me an Old Wives tale. ....mauser
mauserfan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:29 pm

aunt betty wrote:I had been shooting limits daily and jealous hunters called the gw on me. He watched me the whole morning. There was NO stomping it or hiding it. It was a suck deal but jealous hunters who liked to sleep in and come to the spot late were very angry because I was setting up at 1 AM and sleeping in my boat. I was ON THE X and everyone was pissed. So they got mister greenjeans to take care of me...They got me good.

I got them back though...I publish every year HOW to do the exact thing I did. Heck, everyone does it.
Blind 16 at the fish hook baby! GO do it! Be aware the locals WILL call the gw on you for shooting their ducks.

If you couldn't find it there is no way the Gamey is gonna find that teal. He had to be standing over the top of you when you picked the last bird or you had a free walk on that deal.

We loose divers every hunt. It is big water and they can swim hundreds of yards underwater. The dogs can't get the hard swimmers and they often evade a chase boat. We will loose at least one each hunt. I have had divers we left in the spread upside down with no movement flip over and come to life when we return to pick them up after chasing a wounded bird. We usually lose those types of birds. They just took a nice long nap and are all charged up for long dives.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:32 pm

The word "evidence" should be mentioned. Without a duck to take as evidence...there was NO DUCK, I don't see any duck, do you see a duck?
Then the phrase, "prove it" has to be said.

If you lose a duck and can't possibly find it and have made a reasonable attempt to find it you are good and should have a clean conscience. However...if the locals called the gw on you demanding he take action...you're kinda screwed like I was.
He knew I had not seen that duck and knew I'd made a reasonable attempt to find it but...there were other hunters present and THEY demanded he do something. It was a setup.

Any other time I would have just been allowed to take that duck and go. It was a mistake...not a blatent violation. I paid my fine and went on with my life. It was not cheap by the way.

I have never, ever seen a man with three ducks on a strap claiming he shot a limit. Until I heard of OP.
You are a saint mauserfan. I'm not.
aunt betty

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:37 pm

I absolutely despise people who are turds like that. If you are willing to put the effort in and be there early, they should just leave you alone. I have hunted plenty of times when someone beats me to the spot I wanted. I just go hunt a back up spot.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:47 pm

mauserfan wrote:Bill Herian - Yes it would be included. As would be birds that dive, sail off and ones that are just not found in the weeds. As far as birds diving and holding on, I have witnessed this first hand with both a Mallard and a Pintail. We recovered both birds as I was close when they dove and the water was shallow and clear enough to see them holding on to weeds below the surface. Until this happened, I always thought that my dad was telling me an Old Wives tale. ....mauser

By that logic, you shouldn't even bother going. Just wake up in the morning, say "well, I scratched out 5", and then go back to bed.

They call it a "bag" limit, not a "I think I killed it" limit.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:54 pm

assateague wrote:
mauserfan wrote:Bill Herian - Yes it would be included. As would be birds that dive, sail off and ones that are just not found in the weeds. As far as birds diving and holding on, I have witnessed this first hand with both a Mallard and a Pintail. We recovered both birds as I was close when they dove and the water was shallow and clear enough to see them holding on to weeds below the surface. Until this happened, I always thought that my dad was telling me an Old Wives tale. ....mauser

By that logic, you shouldn't even bother going. Just wake up in the morning, say "well, I scratched out 5", and then go back to bed.

They call it a "bag" limit, not a "I think I killed it" limit.

Yeah thats crazy!!!

We hunt a big public marsh here and i find all sort of ducks dead while we are looking for our down birds... people just half arse it or they popped up after being under the water.. I check them for bands :biggrin: and keep moving Several times the dogs have come back to use with birds in their mouth while we are walking out with a full limit those get pitched FAST!!!!
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole