SOUTHERN OPENER-9am start??

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

SOUTHERN OPENER-9am start??

Postby MIDMARSH86 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm hunting in Kenosha on the 28th for the first time. Why does it say 9am start? is this right?

any help would be appreciated!
MIDMARSH86
Newb

Re: SOUTHERN OPENER-9am start??

Postby GREENHEAD777 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:59 pm

First off :welcome: . And yes it is right. The DNR here in Wisconsin has always set opening day start time to be later than sunrise. I don't know of the exact reason but that's how it's always been. At least since I've been hunting. It used to be noon actually so no complaining here. After the opener you are allowed to shoot at the specified time on the regulations time table for that given day. Good luck to you this weekend and the rest of the season
GREENHEAD777
hunter

Postby Grouse » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:10 pm

I believe its so all the Flat landers can find their way through our marshes. I believe they should get rid of early season and allow us a week later. just my .02
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby MIDMARSH86 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks. Im hunting at Bong State rec Area. I live in Chicago but have been hunting all my life in Ontario. My family owns some marsh up there and hunting so im not too excited to hunt public land. Its better than nothing, just wanna get out there.
MIDMARSH86
Newb

Postby gatorsnagger » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Hope you can keep a positive attitude about the hunt. It is going to be completely different from what you are used to up north.
gatorsnagger
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:32 pm

MIDMARSH86 wrote:Thanks. Im hunting at Bong State rec Area.

It's dried up! Someone local please help him. There is only two blinds with water when I called last week. The dam broke and it never was fixed. Per the lady that answered the phone, she stated she hasn't seen a duck in over a month and most blinds are covered by hip to shoulder high weeds.

"Please be aware that Wolf Lake water levels are very low due to failure of the water control structure. The water levels have dropped below the regular swimming area, and swimming is not advised. Do to extremely low water, boating options are very limited. Repairs are planned but are unlikely to be completed in 2013. Please contact Park staff for information on local area swimming, fishing and boating alternatives"
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:06 pm

If you don't have a boat I would recommend Frog Alley in Mukwonago. Is it heavily pressured...yes is it walk in accessible....yes will there be ducks....maybe. Otherwise must of the marshes/lakes/rivers you're going to need atleast a canoe.

Sent while sitting at work!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am

There's water in some spots, just not very deep. I know at least 4 blinds that have water. Ran into a few hunters while there this weekend at the NAVHDA test. Heard almost no shooting on Saturday but folks were pounding away in there on Sunday.
Deuce22
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am

Correct. Four blinds with water compared to how many that use to have water?!?!
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting