2013 migration report.

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: 2013 migration report.

Postby goldfish » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:48 pm

I know this week was the week to hunt with the cold moving birds, but I just wanted to go chase pheasants and deer (the deer never happened, something about waking up early after being awake till 2am didn't jive). Although, my dog did kick up a hen pheasant which made her resalize what she was supposed to be doing out there... 2 minutes before sunset, lol. That walk back to the car she was sniffing EVERYTHING like crazy.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Hunted a lake near Erskine today. Saw a very large increase in the amount of ducks from Thursday to today. Saw at least a thousand divers, mainly blue bills and redheads, coming and going from the lake throughout the day. I didn't stand a chance as the birds just went down in the middle of the lake. The Green Man checked me and he wasn't very nice, seemed real put off when he was asked a few questions, didn't even say bye after he checked our last license he just walked back to his truck and drove off haha

The push has been on since September I suppose, but I think its really on right now.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby firefighter4231 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:02 am

Saw a lake in Anoka county that is not open to hunting holding hunderds of Divers, That tells me there are more around, hopefully the bag numbers will start to increase.
firefighter4231
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Got out this weekend saw a decent amount of divers. Took my 16 yr old nephew out and he got is first bluebill and his fifth duck ever. We each got one drake bluebill on Saturday. We missed a few but at least we didn't get skunked. Sunday phone thought it was daylight savings time so alarm went of an hour late. My buddy was already at the landing waiting for me (the guy with the boat and all the decoys) to get there. Well we get set up and start the morning off by having a flock come in and I drop my first gadwall it might have been a hen but got my first. We go out and get it and are driving back in to place the boat and I tell my buddy to load his gun before we put the blind up I had to get grass off the prop. He loads and goes holy right here and drops a hen ringer. So run out and get that and figure we will be propping birds all day then a lot of missing occurs. We have a single fly over and I hit the mallard call and it circles once then starts to fly off and I get it to come back and it is wings cupped set and my buddy drops her on shot 2. So sunday my buddy and I were lady killer with a hen gadwall, hen ringer and a massive hen mallard. Saw a few flock and some decent numbers hope it keeps going from here on out.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 pm

doubletheshovel wrote:Sunday phone thought it was daylight savings time so alarm went of an hour late..

Haven't heard that one before, gonna have to use that one lol.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Any one seeing any big mallards coming down yet? Still seems pretty low numbers around st cloud but I haven't had a chance to do any serious scouting
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:
doubletheshovel wrote:Sunday phone thought it was daylight savings time so alarm went of an hour late..

Haven't heard that one before, gonna have to use that one lol.

Haha it has done this 2 years in a row now. It sucks and true but it only works on the fall back remember
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby duck_dynasty » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm

chasing the GREEN wrote:Any one seeing any big mallards coming down yet? Still seems pretty low numbers around st cloud but I haven't had a chance to do any serious scouting

I shot a few big curly tails this weekend in central mn, but didn't see many and I did ALOT of scouting. I'm thinking their just starting to show up and we should be seeing more in the coming week or two.
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:34 pm

chasing the GREEN wrote:Any one seeing any big mallards coming down yet? Still seems pretty low numbers around st cloud but I haven't had a chance to do any serious scouting

I might be the farthest north reporting on here, but I'd start gettin pumped over the next few weekends. But I tell ya what, the birds aren't as stupid as they've been. Gotta be on our A games.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:48 am

Its been real slow for me in OTC, some divers, not much for puddlers and the geese haven't shown up yet. Any reports from up north?
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:04 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:

I might be the farthest north reporting on here, but I'd start gettin pumped over the next few weekends. But I tell ya what, the birds aren't as stupid as they've been. Gotta be on our A games.

I was dead ass wrong. Sorry guys.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby tilley » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:58 am

How big is a "northern mallard" as say, compared to a local mallard?
tilley
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:08 pm

When guys talk about "northern" mallards they are talking about fully plumed mallards with a good amount of fat on them. Where the mallards are actually from is up to debate. I hope that helps.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby steamduck » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Hunted lake osakis sat every one and there brother was there and i dont know if there were 30 gun shots on the hole lake befor noon! 2 weeks earlier we killed 10 befor 11 o clock. Birds gown like a fart in the wind!!
steamduck
hunter

Postby jpeterson117 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:41 pm

steamduck wrote:Hunted lake osakis sat every one and there brother was there and i dont know if there were 30 gun shots on the hole lake befor noon! 2 weeks earlier we killed 10 befor 11 o clock. Birds gown like a fart in the wind!!

I herd so many people talking about Osakis this week. Not surprised to hear it was busy.
jpeterson117
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Saturday was my first skunked duck hunt of the year (on a lake that's been really hot since opening weekend...still saw plenty of birds, but I finally got beat to the spot). Changed gears for Sunday and went to a different area. Bagged 7 with Jriegel and 1 another friend. 1 Mallard, the rest divers.

Still waiting on new birds to show up. I haven't noticed any sizable push of mallards, although the divers have been trickling in here and there. Several of the lakes that I frequent are getting Ringers, Redheads, Bluebills, and I've seen a lot of Ruddy ducks around too. Geese are in the usual areas, but far less than last year at this time.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby recker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:25 pm

StuStiltman wrote:When guys talk about "northern" mallards they are talking about fully plumed mallards with a good amount of fat on them. Where the mallards are actually from is up to debate. I hope that helps.

Mallards go through a hormoral change in late fall where they legs appear more red and people say they are the red legged mallards from way north. Not true. I have shot several banded mallards late in november and they were from central north dakota. I have also shot lots of mallards late that are really skinny so I assume they had flown quite a distance without stopping.
recker
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:40 pm

I agre recker.

mallards in MN can be year round residents.
Hell, most wigeons are nortern ducks but they have grey feet.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:55 pm

StuStiltman wrote:When guys talk about "northern" mallards they are talking about fully plumed mallards with a good amount of fat on them. Where the mallards are actually from is up to debate. I hope that helps.

If I remember from ecology, a gradual change in physiology over north/south gradient is called a cline... or is it ecotype? I think its cline, but anyways, I don't think there really is a big difference in mallards from up north compared to here. The mallards flying south from Willmar for example have to fatten up for a flight south, just like mallards found up in central manitoba would.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:03 pm

To me, northern birds are not so much the size or color but the fact that they are fresh birds. Like stated, locals have to fatten up, they gain color ect. the "norther" birds are new to the area, seem to be flocked up a bit more, and also seem to work the decoys a bit better since they don't know the area as well. just my personal opinion.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:16 pm

I definitely agree. Migrating birds decoy much easier than local birds, or migrants that have been in the area for a while.

But I do hear people say "northern" birds are bigger, better colored etc... Whether that is true I dunno.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby tilley » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:06 am

I was being facetious..I get so tired of hearing about northern mallards. A mallard is a mallard. Its age determines its plumage and size. Obviously by November all mallards are fully plumed and now qualify as "northern Mallards".
tilley
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:56 pm

We are in de nort, so or birds are de nortern birds dontchakno.

I think it just makes people feel good to call them northern birds. So be it. Southern ones that are eating corn probably taste better, lol.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Lots of divers around on open water, some puddlers. Not much for geese yet.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Ive been watching the DU website like a hawk, ive been hearing about how the big migration hasnt REALLY started yet. Shouldnt these below freezing temps and snow get the process going? cause its been crazy slow these last couple weekends.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting