Help for removing viruses like ads and spy ware

If you have any DHC SITE, FORUMS, or LOGGING IN issues or general computer problems, please post them here.

Help for removing viruses like ads and spy ware

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:26 pm

Some of you know this, some do not---but many sites as you surf the net are adding trackers, ads, redirectors, or worse.

Here are 2 things that will remove most of this stuff. Ad-aware and Spybot software programs. These are free programs that can be downloaded from the net.

Go to this site and it'll list what to do. www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=37074 Lonny knows his stuff to say the least on more advanced attacks to ones computer and how to get rid of it. Bottom line is download Adaware and Spybot--both are necessary IMO. I have both of these programs since last spring.

The key is to update them each month if not more often! A good rule of thumb is on the 1st of each month---do all your updates, Windows, Adaware, Spybot, etc...

ALSO! For existing ADAWARE users---2 things--- Update the definitions! And 2nd is they have a new program out which has replaced SE1.05 frame work, it is the SE 1.06 version. It is much better at catching the redirects IMO. So upgrade to SE for free.

I hope this helps a few of you to better enjoy the internet.

BTW----Windowsbbs, Adaware, Spybot is NOT endorsed, sanctioned, or affiliated by/to DHC in any way. I just posted it to be of help to DHC members is all.

Oh and one last thing--these are NOT meant to replace antivirus software, but are addditions to antivirus software like Norton, McAfee, etc.. which do not catch many "nuetral" codes which Spybot and Adaware does catch and remove.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:55 pm

I second that. I use them religiously. :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:52 am

Thanx---I have been having a lot of problems I am going to get them now!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Postby donell67 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:33 pm

thanks for the help.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:14 pm

H2o do you us the microsoft antispyware program?
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:06 am

Nope, I use Norton Internet Security. It has the 2004 Norton antivirus program and a firewall too which blocks malicous incoming attacks. Both are crucial IMO. There other programs out there--but it seems I've hardly ever heard of complaints about Norton, unlike some of the aothers. Mine updates when ever I log in and every 4 hours---yes it is that bad as new viruses area dime a dz now a days compared to 4 years ago.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

also

Postby Ducks » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:48 pm

Think firewall ,, I use to dabble in the grim world of phreaking ,, for those that don`t know what that means its another name for hacking ,,, if you want my input I have more programs for free than you can shake a stick at :getdown: Let me know what ya want and i`ll post !One thing to protect while I am at it is your ports :cool: registry :cool: and udate update don`t forget to always ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,UPDATE cause I can promise you they are out of date !
Arkansas is the Natural state!
Pick up your shells!
Ducks
Banned

Return to Duckhuntingchat.com Site Issues Forum