SX-2 Recoil Spring and Tube Replacement

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SX-2 Recoil Spring and Tube Replacement

Postby sdduckman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:02 am

My question is, being pretty good with tools and repair, is this a job I can do myself? I can get the parts from Winchester. Are there any special tools involved? My manual states to use a gunsmith for this job. Any help by those more experienced is appreciated.

Thanks Steve

PS Are there any instructions out there?
"There are only two true sports, hunting and fishing, anything else is just a game."
sdduckman
hunter

Re: SX-2 Recoil Spring and Tube Replacement

Postby Red Huck » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:14 am

Can answer your question. But I have one. would it not be better to replace it with a sure cycle spring? I had to send my Maxus back for warranty work and the replace that spring and tube. If it breaks again thats the way I think I will go.
Red Huck
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 am

Theres a video clip on here that show them replaceing one. http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-SRMSCSSA
Red Huck
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 am

It's easy. I had to use a torch on the tube the first time so the loctite would release. Then put the tube in a vise and turn the receiver by hand. I just used blue loctite when I put the tube back in.
z51
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:15 pm

How does the tube break?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby sdduckman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Mine did not break. I bought my SX 2 used. The gun looked brand new, but the guy I bought it from dipped the butt in saltwater leading to a lot of rust in the spring tube. Th gun works fine now, and I have shot it for two years after oiling the heck out of it. But I know sooner or later it will fail.
"There are only two true sports, hunting and fishing, anything else is just a game."
sdduckman
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:57 pm

tornadochaser wrote:How does the tube break?

I don't think the tube in mine gun broke but browning replaced it when they replaced the spring.
Red Huck
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:12 pm

I replaced the tube and spring in my SX3 with the sure cylce tube and spring. Nothing wrong with the factory stuff but I kept getting a lot of rust in the tube regardless of cleaning and lubing. With the stainless sure cycle tube and spring, I don't have to worry about it anymore. Just a little piece of mind because we get a lot of rain during the season here in the soggy PNW.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Gun was not made for sure cycle. Piston was not made to be sealed. I use factory parts and had no problems. The video will make it easy for you. I usually take out my recoil spring two or three times throughout the season and clean it. Never had any problems.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Gun was not made for sure cycle. Piston was not made to be sealed. I use factory parts and had no problems. The video will make it easy for you. I usually take out my recoil spring two or three times throughout the season and clean it. Never had any problems.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:01 am

X2 X2 No need for mods, use factory parts. Mod your Chevy.
z51
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:50 am

youngoilguy wrote:Gun was not made for sure cycle. Piston was not made to be sealed. I use factory parts and had no problems. The video will make it easy for you. I usually take out my recoil spring two or three times throughout the season and clean it. Never had any problems.

I agree 100% :thumbsup: as a gunsmith I would not even spend the extra $$$ on my own SX2's to make those mods, Never had a factory part fail in 10's of thousands of rounds thru them. And never had any rust issues hunting for years off the coast of Maine with lots of salt water spray. Just do your maintenance and the gun will treat you good.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:50 am

My x2 rusts on the barrel any time it gets wet anymore, but i've used it hard for 10 years and it's got plenty of finish worn away. Getting it cerakoted this fall sometime so that should solve the rust issue.

tornadochaser
hunter

Postby elfros » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:59 am

I LOVE MY SX2
worn beat up no thing of beauty but it sure works good
operator error is most of the problem LOL
elfros
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum