Oxford County

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Re: Oxford County

Postby 682x » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:21 am

My wife says I'm a Pro staffer..........or is it stuffer??!!!
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
User avatar
682x
hunter
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:22 pm
Location: 7 Gates of HELL


Re: Oxford County

Postby K.I. Joe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:36 am

Leases are coming but we should hold off for as long as possible. All leases do is lock up land for the greedy who want it all to themselves. Harry V and his cohort were talking highly about leases onetime saying how it is the future and that it is better for the wildlife!!!! Better for the people with lots of money who hunt occasionally and want to limit out everytime they go, not better for the working man and for hunting in general. Hunting survives because they are enough of us that still hunt and defend against the antis, leases will make it less possible for young hunters to enter the sport, less hunters equal less political clout and less money for IF&W and the end to hunting as we know it......Please keep your leases out of this state
K.I. Joe
hunter
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: T6R8 Piscataquis County

Re: Oxford County

Postby Robk » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:01 am

Dang it, I knew I was doing it all wrong.... I've killed feathered critters on 4 continents, enjoying the world waking up around my spread for the past 30+ years. Teaching my kids that it's about the experience and not the dead things hanging in the lanyard at the end of the day, those are just the bonus. And to think I could have been paid for it all.... oh wait, that's a job. already have one of those. Free Calls? Send me a few and I'll send you one of my worn out Delorme Atlas' and you can figure out where I have been hunting by the dog eared pages.
Robk
hunter
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Oxford County

Postby Robk » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:02 am

682x wrote:My wife says I'm a Pro staffer..........or is it stuffer??!!!



Thought she said "Pro-Duffer"...
Robk
hunter
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Oxford County

Postby Bunker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Wow! What a welcome! A few of the things I've always loved about this state and have made me proud to say I'm from Maine are its hunting traditions, history and also it's people and their reputations for being open, honest caring people seemingly always willing to lend a hand to someone in need but apparently that's not true when it comes to duck hunting! One thing that has always irked me about the posters that put up "New to Maine not looking for blind locations just looking for info" are the people that respond "do it yourself", "put in the miles do the scouting" when the person clearly asked for info a nudge in the right direction not lat/long of your blind. Put them to the test see if they are willing to put in that time. If they are they'll probably repost and info can be shared and new things can be learned. What is the harm in saying "oh your in that area, there's a WMA(public land)over that way that you can look into" or "The Such -n- Such River is over that way which might be good" and if you are a hunter that hunts that area than point in another direction. That person still has to put in the time find the launches, where the ducks are flying, what tides work best where. The people to look out for are the posters "looking for a hunting buddy" that's where it can get a little iffy and should be like first dating...slow and easy wins the race and even then most anybody can tell when someone's fishing and hey if you bite than that makes you a Bass! I do have to agree announcing to everyone "I'm a Prostaffer" is over the top but your telling me nobody on here ever has made a bad first impression because they are proud of what they do. I'm sure that tagline is accepted and even revered in some parts of this country and as all of us know we could care less the only one around here that gets any attention is MAINE GUIDE or MASTER MAINE GUIDE but I can think of several other responses to prostaffer than kiss my a**! I've been in that position before and it's actually what drew me to this board. I was new to the portion of the state that I live in now and didn't know the lay of the land and was looking for broad based info a push towards a ballpark if you will. So I signed up and started reading the threads and saw how new people are treated and realized that a bunch of people on here that say they are from here actually aren't and prefer to sit around greasy spoons and BS with their buddies and chastise people from outta state or from away when indeed that is truly what they are, from away. The another sad part of this thread is and as much as some might like to deny it or say we need to keep the leasing types out...it is already happening right here in Maine with big game and its only a matter of time before the large land owners and farmers realize that they can do it for waterfowl as some try to keep their farms afloat. Sad but true and we need to preserve it as much as possible.

So to Prostaffer... :welcome:
My advice, drop the Prostaffer, check your ego at the state line, and put your wallet away. Not knowing where you are in Oxford get yourself a Big Blue Bible also known as the Maine Gazetteer. Maybe two copies one for home and vehicle and start looking for the blue ponds and lakes and blue threads of rivers and streams. Respect others property and read any and all state/local laws & ordinances and be safe. You'll meet plenty of people most of them good decent people with a few bad apples thrown in. Watch out for the Woods Snobs the people that have been here for a few years and like to call themselves Mainers and learn from the Wood Boogers the ones whose family trees has been rooted in this state for generations who truly are open, honest caring people and will lend you a hand when need be. If you ever make it down into York County shoot me a PM I'll buy my own coffee and we can swap some tall tales.
User avatar
Bunker
hunter
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am
Location: The Bunk

Re: Oxford County

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Bunker wrote:So to Prostaffer... :welcome:
My advice, drop the Prostaffer, check your ego at the state line, and put your wallet away. Not knowing where you are in Oxford get yourself a Big Blue Bible also known as the Maine Gazetteer. Maybe two copies one for home and vehicle and start looking for the blue ponds and lakes and blue threads of rivers and streams. Respect others property and read any and all state/local laws & ordinances and be safe. You'll meet plenty of people most of them good decent people with a few bad apples thrown in. Watch out for the Woods Snobs the people that have been here for a few years and like to call themselves Mainers and learn from the Wood Boogers the ones whose family trees has been rooted in this state for generations who truly are open, honest caring people and will lend you a hand when need be. If you ever make it down into York County shoot me a PM I'll buy my own coffee and we can swap some tall tales.


This is the best post on this thread so far, well said Bunker. This could apply anywhere. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:41 am
Location: South Shore, Ma.

Re: Oxford County

Postby 733SubDucker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:06 pm

Bunker wrote: One thing that has always irked me about the posters that put up "New to Maine not looking for blind locations just looking for info" are the people that respond "do it yourself", "put in the miles do the scouting" when the person clearly asked for info a nudge in the right direction not lat/long of your blind. Put them to the test see if they are willing to put in that time. If they are they'll probably repost and info can be shared and new things can be learned. What is the harm in saying "oh your in that area, there's a WMA(public land)over that way that you can look into" or "The Such -n- Such River is over that way which might be good" and if you are a hunter that hunts that area than point in another direction. That person still has to put in the time find the launches, where the ducks are flying, what tides work best where.



I'm not jumping on you Bunker. I've enjoyed your posts so far and look forward to more this season. :thumbsup: However, this particular part of what you said here is well intentioned but a bit naive and pessimistic.

The people on this site and around this state ARE welcoming and HAVE BEEN happy to "help" many new hunters with... handling conditions, clothing, tides, moon, time of year, migration status, habitat, blind construction, boat repair, firearms, shooting skills, decoys, rigging, ammunition, and the list goes on and on. Any and everything except where to be standing when you pull the trigger. You can search the archived posts and it's right there. :bow:

Not providing a 'hint' or a 'nudge', or a whatever you want to call it , for a hunting spot does not detract from that or make them 'bad'. :hammer:

Go ask a "Wood Booger" where to shoot or catch... (whatever critters they happen to shoot or catch) and they will be happy to tell you all kinds of spots... that happen to be about 100 miles from theirs... :lol3:
User avatar
733SubDucker
hunter
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Central via Downeast

Re: Oxford County

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Agree with you 733Sub, which is why I only quoted Bunkers 2nd paragraph. :thumbsup: Hope you guys don't mind me chiming in here. :beer:
Baymen Moe
hunter
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:41 am
Location: South Shore, Ma.

Re: Oxford County

Postby tgs » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:42 pm

HEY... That's my ramp... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Image[/quote]


I never knew Oxford County could draw such attention. We open Tuesday, can't wait. Safe gunning to all.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
User avatar
tgs
hunter
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:38 am
Location: Shapleigh, Maine

Re: Oxford County

Postby Seaductor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:11 am

[quote="tgs"]HEY... That's my ramp... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Yes it is TGS!! At least it's one of them!!!

We can all probably back off on Prostaffer85 now!! It's probably not a stretch to say I may have tried to use a bullet instead of a switch when I went off on Prostaffer!!

I could have been a little more "Subducker" about it. Subbie was saying it the right way as he usually does. I started with a shout!Not always the best tactic. It doesn't work for my wife so I don't know why I thought it would be effective for me.. Truth is, I just reacted to what I percieved as a willingness and intent to jump right into Oxford County and start "Locking up land with leases"! That is a real HOT Button item for me having been affected by it several times over the years.

In my own defense, I haven't exactly been unwelcoming to Newcomers to Maine!! I've met a lot of great folks through this forum and taken them out duck hunting here in Maine. When the base was in Brunswick, I hooked up with a lot of guys stationed there and showed them a good time and made some great friends in the process. At least 3 guys on here got their first turkey with me calling for them and showing them the ropes. I've put several guys from away on their first Black Duck! Of course one of them couldn't close the show on that, I won't say who but his initials are Andrew from Kansas!!!
Scarysouthernman and his brother got eiders and puddlers in 2 days with Sprig and I! (Sorry about that eagle stealing your black duck Scary :lol3: The feathers on the water was quite a sight under the tree where he ate it!! )
The only guy I didn't have any luck with was the one I took out last year two days in a row. We went skunk on a couple of field hunts where the birds had been really hot.. .. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Now It's time for this post menapausal geezer to put on a new "Depends" and get ready for tomorrow's South Zone opener!!

Here's just a few of the forum guys I've hunted withImage
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image
Image
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
User avatar
Seaductor
hunter
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:11 am
Location: Mid Coast Maine

Re: Oxford County

Postby Bunker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:08 pm

I know 733Sub... you aren't jumping on me this is a chat forum and that's what we are doing is chatting. I guess I don't see the pessimism from the 1st paragraph unless you are talking about the leasing. In that regard I like to think I'm a realist because you should look into it, it is happening. Isn't it more pessimistic to assume that everyone I talk to about hunting is looking for my numbers like a lot of guys on here seem to assume? You may call it naïve but I believe most hunters especially around here are good honest people. Yeah there are a few bad apples that need to be weeded through and they don't last long on here or even in the field. As for all the helpful info you've talked about I guess I've missed that amoungst all the flaming and "do it yourself" responses I guess I'll have to go back through the archive with a finer toothed comb. Given what tomorrow brings here in the south zone & coastal zone though I may not get to it til the end of February.

When I talk hints or nudges I mean general guidance that maybe somebody from whatever area may not know when they 1st get here or may have a hard time finding out. I'm not talking X's and numbers..."go here you'll shoot ducks" etc. For me personally it would be the Rachel Carson allows hunting with proper permitting of course. I moved to Kittery 10 minutes from the RC and didn't find that out for a year and a half because when I looked through my Gazetteer and saw "National Wildlife Refuge" I looked elsewhere because to me where I come from that means off limits unless you like to watch piping plovers and sea gulls! RC stretches from Kittery to further North than I'm willing to travel to hunt on a daily basis and with all of its nooks and crannys, marshes and rivers how is that giving someone a "spot"? Same thing with the number of rivers that this state has. That person still has to do the work put in the road or river miles but it cuts the state down from the size it is to at least a ballpark so that someone that hasn't lived here all their lives but wants to do the work can do some exploring and fall in love with this state like the rest of us and call it home.

You are very right not providing a hint or nudge doesn't make somebody bad but flaming somebody new to these parts does! Even if they maybe a little pompous and arrogant, but if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all! :fingerpt:

Oh yeah and I never said there is a distance limit on any info given, nor would I expect any on any received! :smile:

Nice Pics Ducter! :thumbsup: Hope there isn't any GPS info embedded in any of them! :smile: You may end up with visitors not me of course the Mid-Coast is about a 100 miles from me! :smile:

Everybody in the South and Coastal be safe tomorrow, here's to a great season!
User avatar
Bunker
hunter
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am
Location: The Bunk

Re: Oxford County

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Seaductor wrote:I hooked up with a lot of guys stationed there and showed them a good time and made some great friends in the process. At least 3 guys on here got their first turkey with me calling for them and showing them the ropes. I've put several guys from away on their first Black Duck! Of course one of them couldn't close the show on that, I won't say who but his initials are Andrew from Kansas!!!
Scarysouthernman and his brother got eiders and puddlers in 2 days with Sprig and I! (Sorry about that eagle stealing your black duck Scary :lol3: The feathers on the water was quite a sight under the tree where he ate it!! )
The only guy I didn't have any luck with was the one I took out last year two days in a row. We went skunk on a couple of field hunts where the birds had been really hot.. .. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Now It's time for this post menapausal geezer to put on a new "Depends" and get ready for tomorrow's South Zone opener!!

Here's just a few of the forum guys I've hunted with


thanks for sharing all your bromances. bunker is a great guy, too...and put me on my first turkey and duck as well and i would stick my neck out for him anytime. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

here's to a safe season for everybody. :beer:
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
User avatar
Professor_Leakey
hunter
 
Posts: 2356
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: MASS

Re: Oxford County

Postby flylineguide » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:27 am

In regards to leases. I agree horrible idea and one of the reasons leases are not here is the landowner must be a licensed guide. ANY form of remuneration. That's right if you pay me to hunt my land I must have a guides license. It is a new rumor in my circles that IFW is actually going to do something about unlicensed hunting and fishing guides FINALLY! We will see but I doubt it very much. Like Shep said even a cup of coffee counts. So does gas money even though its allowed on tidewater by the USCG its still against state law to toss your buddy a few bucks for gas. The word ANY was choosen for very good reason.

Also another item in regards to access. Its in the state constitution that if it is not posted you have a right to hunt that land, of course following all other laws like legal distance from buildings, ten acre pond, ect. Maine has a colonial constitution. Much like mean high water laws, fishing, fowling or navigating richy rich cannot stop you! This 'reverse posting' is something our past governor Anquish King tried to hide and make it a ethical fopaah to exersise. This also is something that the IFW still tries to make us not exersise. Look in the law book on page 19. Thanks a ton Anquish for starting the tradition of trying to change rules without going to the trouble of changing the state constitution legally. Its sickening that the IFW prints that nonsense. Baldacci grew this ideaology. I do and I say we all must exercise this right. Its our civic duty as sports.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
User avatar
flylineguide
hunter
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:47 am
Location: Maine

Previous

Return to Maine Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kwood and 6 guests