Flyway Fowling vs. Hideaway Hollow

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Flyway Fowling vs. Hideaway Hollow

Postby d_hunter12 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:04 pm

Hey fellows, I've got a question for you locals. I'm going to make a trip up to pool 9 next November. I've been in contact with Flyway Fowling and Hideaway Hollow. I really like what each guy has to offer but I can not make up my mind about who to book with. So my question for everyone is which guide service would you go with and why? I will be hunting middle of the week and will have 2 more guys with me. We'll only be able to hunt for 2 days. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
d_hunter12
hunter

Re: Flyway Fowling vs. Hideaway Hollow

Postby h2ofwler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:25 am

I've been hunting with Todd from Flyway Fowling for 4 years and I can say he is a top notch guy and a true professional! There are a few other guides in pool 9, but he's the only one I'll contract with. I've been waterfowling since I was young and still every time I hunt with Todd, I take away something new. All of that AND he cooks the most amazing breakfast in his boat that you can imagine. You definitely wont go away hungry.

I'm actually hunting with Todd this week, taking my 12 year old for his first duck hunt. We can't wait!
h2ofwler
hunter

Postby d_hunter12 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:37 am

I appreciate the information and good luck on your hunt. I really want an update after the hunt in any success if you don't mind
d_hunter12
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Im curious too! was out there this past weekend and wasnt much around. good luck to you and your son!

Team Quackout
Rhock19
hunter

Postby h2ofwler » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:17 am

I'll post when we get back on Friday or Saturday. Thanks for the well wishes! I just hope the birds start making their way south!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
h2ofwler
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:20 am

Rhock19 wrote:Im curious too! was out there this past weekend and wasnt much around. good luck to you and your son!

Team Quackout

I heard that Matt moved up river out of Pool 9 to get on more birds. To OP I have some friends that always go with Hideaway Hollow. I think both are top of the line guides from what people have said.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Hands down Todd from flyway fowl. Great guy, great service. He lives on the damned pool and knows the area as good as anyone.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Rhock19 wrote:Im curious too! was out there this past weekend and wasnt much around. good luck to you and your son!

Team Quackout

You must have been in the wrong area or doing something wrong.
koonce727
hunter

Postby PatCies83 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:26 am

Justin Weber wrote:

Team Quackout

I heard that Matt moved up river out of Pool 9 to get on more birds. To OP I have some friends that always go with Hideaway Hollow. I think both are top of the line guides from what people have said.

This is why you go with Matt. Willing to make the move to put you on birds.
PatCies83
hunter

Postby h2ofwler » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Had a great hunt today with Todd. This is actually the 5th year with him, my son has come along as an observer every year...until this year!

If you have Facebook, check out Todd's page. Flyway Fowling Guide Service LLC. Also check out their page for the hotel he runs in town Grandview Motel LLC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
h2ofwler
hunter

Postby d_hunter12 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Looks like you 2 had fun and a good hunt. I just hope I can get in with Todd next year
d_hunter12
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 pm

I went with Matt last year from Hideaway and had a great time. Limited three guys on the river
quack-quack
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:58 am

I feel bad for whoever hideaway took out this past Sunday. He shows up later than he should to find guys in all the spots in this area and proceeds to set up right down wind of me maybe 200 yards with the wind right in his face.

Then what screwed us all was 15min into legal time the fishermen started to show up and fish directly between our two rigs. We packed it up and he proceeded to do the same. Hope he was able to move and show them folks a better time.

Just go with Todd and call it good.
koonce727
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:45 am

koonce727 wrote:I feel bad for whoever hideaway took out this past Sunday. He shows up later than he should to find guys in all the spots in this area and proceeds to set up right down wind of me maybe 200 yards with the wind right in his face.

Then what screwed us all was 15min into legal time the fishermen started to show up and fish directly between our two rigs. We packed it up and he proceeded to do the same. Hope he was able to move and show them folks a better time.

Don't know the guy personally but I'd say its more than likely his group arrived late, having had to deal with it many times myself.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
koonce727 wrote:I feel bad for whoever hideaway took out this past Sunday. He shows up later than he should to find guys in all the spots in this area and proceeds to set up right down wind of me maybe 200 yards with the wind right in his face.

Don't know the guy personally but I'd say its more than likely his group arrived late, having had to deal with it many times myself.

I don't doubt that one bit, but anyone who hunts that area regularly knows thats not an area to show up late too especially on a weekend, and the days wind direction provided even fewer spots. Regardless we both got dealt a bad hand with the fishermen. For safety reason neither of us could fire a shot. If the one fishing boat didn't have a child on board we would have had a few words.
koonce727
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:13 pm

koonce727 wrote:Regardless we both got dealt a bad hand with the fishermen. For safety reason neither of us could fire a shot. If the one fishing boat didn't have a child on board we would have had a few words.

I wouldn't be too impressed either.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:20 pm

I was out hunting the backwaters and had a fisherman go about 50 yards down wind of me!
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby PatCies83 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:13 am

Koonce727, Talked to Matt(Hideaway Hollow) today after his clients asked about your post. This is a photo of the Sunday you are talking about. Matt said he hunted north and shot a 2 limit and had no problem with a fisherman.

PatCies83
hunter

Postby recker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:52 pm

So Hideaway is not hunting pool 9 anymore?
recker
hunter

Postby PatCies83 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 am

recker wrote:

So Hideaway is not hunting pool 9 anymore?

Recker-
Hideaway Hollow is on Pool 9 but just hunted north of town(Ferryville) that day.
PatCies83
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:29 am

PatCies83 wrote:

Koonce727, Talked to Matt(Hideaway Hollow) today after his clients asked about your post. This is a photo of the Sunday you are talking about. Matt said he hunted north and shot a 2 limit and had no problem with a fisherman.

Could have been another guide then, I know it wasnt Matt ellis, it was a different boat. So I could be wrong. If it was the guy from Hideaway then His move paid off cuz I know he packed up also when the fishermen showed up. Props to him then for moving and getting on some birds if it was him.

There are just to many guides for me to keep up with these days.

Edited my typo****
Last edited by koonce727 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koonce727
hunter

Postby DKMF » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:12 am

What you ment was it "wasn't" Matt Ellis.
DKMF
hunter

Postby d_hunter12 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:44 pm

And what you meant was "meant"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d_hunter12
hunter

Postby recker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:01 pm

Pool 9 in pure magic. Plenty of spots to choose from and light pressure.
recker
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:57 pm

recker wrote:Pool 9 in pure magic. Plenty of spots to choose from and light pressure.

Oh they are going to adore you.
Bill Herian
hunter

Next

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting