Youth Hunt On Catahoula Lake

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Youth Hunt On Catahoula Lake

Postby Mr.L » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:34 pm

I am curious what most Catahoula Lake hunters think about the annual youth hunt opening on the weekend before regular duck season . Do you like the current procedure or would you prefer the youth hunt to be after regular duck season closes? Please explain your choice.
Mr.L
hunter

Re: Youth Hunt On Catahoula Lake

Postby Toledo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:14 pm

I like it. I don't mind missing out on a few birds if some youngsters can get on them. With that said, we might be able to use some enforcement on foks shooting their kids birds. I figure more birds get ran off from foks out fluffing blinds in the days before opener than the kids could run off a week before.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Jayhawker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 pm

How are my grandkids supposed to shoot ducks a week before the season if there's no water around the blind. We need water to be 34 ft. and if it's not I can't get a boat in the blind. Total waste of a Lake if we can't hunt it.
You gonna eat that?
Jayhawker
hunter

Postby Toledo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Jayhawker wrote:How are my grandkids supposed to shoot ducks a week before the season if there's no water around the blind. We need water to be 34 ft. and if it's not I can't get a boat in the blind. Total waste of a Lake if we can't hunt it.

Not a problem if you hunt where the birds are instead of hunting "the blind".
Toledo
hunter

Postby metalworx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 pm

34 feet wow
Are you hunting catahoula or the Dewey wells land
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Postby Jayhawker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Fish and game just trying to make the hunting bad so we get run off our land. Won't work with me. My granddad hunted our blinds and my great grandkids are gonna hunt our blinds. That's our heritage and we will not give it up. Grandads blinds got destroyed when he built them at river point. So he built some up that high in the ellems. Nobody messes with us anymore. But fish and game needs to flood more so we can hunt. Need to start flooding for teal or else its just a waste of good feed. Plus we can't motor up into are blinds.
You gonna eat that?
Jayhawker
hunter

Postby Ducktamer1986 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:21 pm

What hAppens if they tear em all down again? Gotta hunt somewhere.
Ducktamer1986
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:59 am

The reason why so many ducks and geese migrate to Catahoula Lake is because of its shallow nature and abundance of natural duck food like chufa and sprangletop. If the lake were kept at 34ft year round, there would not be a food source for puddle ducks such as mallards, pintails and teal. When the backwater rises and the water level gets above the feeding level for puddle ducks, most leave the lake and go elsewhere to feed like the Louisiana Delta. All that is left are diving ducks like canvasbacks, redheads, and scaup. Most hunters don't shoot these ducks. A few mallards may come back at sunset to roost but then leave the next morning to feed.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Quack-Attack19 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:33 pm

First, 34 ft is way to high.

Second, everybody from now on should just direct there questions toward Teledo because he hunted Catahoula last year on opening day of the second split and killed his limit. :clapping: :bow: This automatically makes him an expert on all things that have to do with Catahoula. The only problem is anybody could grab a hand full of rocks, a sling shot, and a bright yellow shirt and kill a limit of birds on opening morning of the second split.

Third, I am fine with KIDS getting to hunt one week early, however when you see little kids coming off the lake with a 12 gauge that stands taller then they do something has got to give.
Quack-Attack19
hunter

Postby Toledo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Quack-Attack19 wrote:First, 34 ft is way to high.

Second, everybody from now on should just direct there questions toward Teledo because he hunted Catahoula last year on opening day of the second split and killed his limit. :clapping: :bow: This automatically makes him an expert on all things that have to do with Catahoula. The only problem is anybody could grab a hand full of rocks, a sling shot, and a bright yellow shirt and kill a limit of birds on opening morning of the second split.

Third, I am fine with KIDS getting to hunt one week early, however when you see little kids coming off the lake with a 12 gauge that stands taller then they do something has got to give.

First off, I think we all been had with jayhawker. I think Park Duck got us.

Second, Ive hunted Catahoula for a lot longer than last year but admittedly less than many of you locals. I only say this since you are questioning knowledge but I probably have more experience in nailing down all types of ducks in all types of habitat on public property in North America then all of the houla tards combined. Everything from the tip of the Aleutians to the Florida keys. All on public property without a guide. Its pretty basic stuff when you arent a simple minded mouth breather that cant see past your 250 yard self imposed pin that you stare at year in and year out.
Last edited by Toledo on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Quack-Attack19 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Keep dreaming man, hope you have fun traveling all over North America hunting birds glad you can afford it. I still can take my blind spot (or pin if you prefer to call it that) and some 2 liter coke bottles I painted black and still kill more birds every year than you do and that's a fact. If you don't like us local Catahoula folks that post things on this forum you don't have to read them.
Quack-Attack19
hunter

Postby Quack-Attack19 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:18 pm

By the way your pretty simple minded yourself if you think out of the hundreds of people that hunt Catahoula lake that we are all the same. Yes, if the water is right and the hunting is good ill hunt every day of the season in my hole that we have been hunting for 30 years. But, if the conditions are not right we will hunt another spot. whatever it takes. we work our butt of to hunt this lake and I am tired of seeing you in every posts talking like your gods gift to duck hunting. we got the same hobby we just do it a little differently. So remember next time you call us simple minded tards there are lots of people that hunt this lake and we are not all the same.
Quack-Attack19
hunter

Postby Jayhawker » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:39 pm

First off, nobody puts in more work hunting ducks than us. I mean.... the time and effort putting up posted signs down at the 31' mark, drinking all that mountain dew, and double bleaching my drawers so we can add to the spread , and scratching my chiggers after cutting pine branches. I've got about 600 jugs out there now at all our blinds and who knows where the other 1000 floated off to. Where else does a guy loose so many decoys each year. This is an economic hardship. Plus, with diesel prices through the roof, burning trespassers blinds is getting cost prohibitive. How can I go hunt in Florida after spending all that money. Feds don't realize how us LaSallans are just trying to eek out a living on this lake. Nothing but big hand of govenment getting bigger and trying to run us off our land.
You gonna eat that?
Jayhawker
hunter

Postby metalworx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:27 pm

That's funny right there... And very true
I feel your pain
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:49 pm