Nine Days

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Nine Days

Postby Saw_bill_slayer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Well I am still counting the days until the opener. Restrung some of my decoys and went through my camo and all the gear. Needless to say I am ready. I got bored and ordered some new mallard decoys from Gander Mountain. Got the Final Approach brand. Should be here by the Oct. 2 so I can use them on the opener. My dad has their pintails and I really like them, we will see how there mallards hold up. I am usually a GHG kind of guy but I think Final Approach is and looks pretty good. If it is not bad weather I will be fishing tomorrow to try and help me pass the time until next Saturday. How are you all passing the time until the hunt?
I believe in the three F's... Feather, Fur, and Fin.
Saw_bill_slayer
hunter

Re: Nine Days

Postby mojo coot » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Work work and going up to Idaho to take my nephew out on the youth hunt up there
mojo coot
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Walked out on Farmington Bay with the binocs this evening. Lots of water. Lots of ducks. Lots of geese. And...come October 5th at 5:30am...they'll all be gone!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby Saw_bill_slayer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:00 pm

apflyingleap wrote:Walked out on Farmington Bay with the binocs this evening. Lots of water. Lots of ducks. Lots of geese. And...come October 5th at 5:30am...they'll all be gone!

That sounds about right. Last weekend I drove around Cutler and Salt Creek and there were tons of birds in both places. I went to the BRBR earlier that week and there were tons of birds there too! Bring on the duck hunt! I am like a kid at Christmas time so excited I just cant stand it anymore.
I believe in the three F's... Feather, Fur, and Fin.
Saw_bill_slayer
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:24 am

Keepin' myself busy by thinking more about my trip to Canada on Oct. 15th than the opener.... both great if I must say. Bought my wife a new semi-auto, got the boat ready, and all gear ready. Need to buy shells. :hammer:
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby richard rouleau » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:04 pm

well i be dove hunting till monday then the wait for 5 day till opener of ducks
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:05 am

I don't really care for opener any more to many dip sh*ts out there thinking its ok to sit 50 yards from you in a boat no respect any more .
cootlover
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:30 am

I don't go out on the opener either. A little too crazy for my tastes. Not having a boat, I rely on public grounds I can walk to and that just gets too crowded. So, we'll wait and get out Tuesday after the opener...hoping not all the ducks have checked out of their hotels and moved south.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:30 pm

Tell you the truth ten years ago having about was good on the opener now its worst than the dike. I am waking on opener to do a little pass shooting at Ogden bay should be fun lots of birds .I really cant wait for Sunday and Monday out in the boat hopefully we can roll some honkers :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:58 pm

I wanna see pics of those honkers you take down. I'm starting to get that kid at Christmas feel.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 am

cootlover wrote:I don't really care for opener any more to many dip sh*ts out there thinking its ok to sit 50 yards from you in a boat no respect any more .

X2 I've not gone out on the opener for past 3 years. It's a friggin war zone out there!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby apflyingleap » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:34 am

So Saturday, we got the decoys out to clean them up (really just an excuse to do something to expend extra duck hunt excitement). Left them out to dry and yesterday the grandkids came over. They all went outside to play and pretty soon they had decoys set up all over the yard. Then, before I knew it, they had them all down in the pool and were running around the edge of the water dragging the dekes by the anchor ropes having "duck races." Pretty funny.
apflyingleap
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting