Show me your Deeks!

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

Show me your Deeks!

Postby MrsOW » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:56 pm

I paint my husbands decoys. Show me what you're painting! I'm fired up about this years batch. Here are pics from last season.
The one on the top is mine in comparison to the stock. Are you painting decoys this year? Still in search for a good nonyellowing sealer (not Krylon 1311).
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by MrsOW on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsOW
hunter

Re: Show me your Deeks!

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:26 pm

MrsOW wrote:Oh wow- is it just me or does that sound bad on a forum that dominantly males?! LOL

Umm....In english please....?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Great job on the paint...does it last very long?

Typically when my decoys start fading I throw them in with my diver decoys. The ducks don't seem to mind it much.
:-)
hunter

Postby MrsOW » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:39 pm

That one did not last as long as I was hoping for. I've even experimenting with clear coats and that batch cracked and yellowed. I think this happened because
1) I did it in a rush and did not give it the proper cure time of 30 days
2) I also mixed oil based paint with acrylics which are water based so when I applied the water based topcoat it yellowed. The heat made the topcoat crackle.

This year I'm trying a different topcoat. I've learned a lot over the past year with painting. Hopefully this years batch will be better.
MrsOW
hunter

Postby MrsOW » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Hey friends,
Just wanted to show you what I painted today! The iridescent sheen in certain areas are to catch the light. I know it sounds silly but it works.
Attachments
image.jpg
MrsOW
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:35 pm

I have been at this since 1973--started in oils-went to acrylics--depends on what material your using--wood decoys or plastic--competitionbirds or folk art antique style-plastic hunting decoys to re-paint or hand carved gunning rigs--1.)-- for plastic hunting use Walmart house paint--color swatches to match--flat water base.FLAT no sheen is key--simple paint patterns --by the time birds are in range it should be lights out !!--2.)--you can not mix oil & water base-or put water base paint over oils --always dark color over light.--3.)--wooden decoys--( never touch up ANTIQUE DECOYS --NEVER !!)--prim , then decide oil or water base--if oil-go to " Ronans Brand -sign painters paint--or flat Rustolium, earth colors. black, browns whites, grays-flat --flat --again no sheen..With the Ronans you can thin them down to ink consistency --try some practice blanks.. shore birds decoys--good source is google wooden decoy blanks. " Duks Dekes" is a great source. 4.)--practice practice..the plastic decoys of today require little to no maintenance.old timers used simple paint patterns for a reason --decoys need to be seen..to attract ducks. divers especially--black & white drakes.as the seaso progresses more Drakes with bright colors are best..no sheen -check out Ducknutz.com web great carvers and great pics. need more from me pm me --have fun !!
decoycarver
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Why would you post this on the "Decoy Trailer Forum" ??? :fingerpt:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:27 pm

War Wagon wrote:Why would you post this on the "Decoy Trailer Forum" ??? :fingerpt:

Why do we HAVE a decoy trailer forum?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 pm

obviously war wagon, the lady is painting Decoys, and looks like she can carve too, by the Heron she's working on..was your bird shot aimed at me or the " trailer " it's self. Maybe your getting " trailer mixed up with your "War Wagon " logo -which looks like you tow behind you from the pic. ( insert ).So is this supposed to be about tandem's,Flat beds, fold up's, utility, Boat or U-Hauls ??--If she asked to see your Sneeks -would they be Nike's, Puma's Keds, Red-ball jets ??--Those would be Shoes !! Just following the first Subject of conversation and helping a lady out -be nice to have a good woman to maintain the Decoy Rig !!
decoycarver
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm not trying to slam her! There is a site that says " Duck Decoy Forum " Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

She is posting on the "Decoy Trailer Forum" A Place to talk about Decoy TRAILERS setup and Ideas.

I'm sure more people will see her work on the right Forum... :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 pm

I shot her a PM and other sites for Carvers..it's like when a new duck Hunter says -hey I saw a ton of ducks off -gunners point this morning on my way to work ..broad casting a hot spot on a forum she didn't know. Still wish I had a woman to maintain my decoys..
decoycarver
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:05 am

image.jpg
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum